Help me write a spell...

Patriot

Re: Help me write a spell...

As Rapier said:

12 Gilly's Expeditous Jailbreak: Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation, Area Of Effect (100m Radius; +1 1/2) (47 Active Points); Only To Open Locks (-1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll (Lockpicking); -1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Instant (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

or

10 Gilly's Expeditious Jailbreak: Minor Transform 2d6 (unlocks any locked locks in area, locks may be relocked with a key), Area Of Effect (100m Radius; +1 1/2) (25 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll(Lockpicking); -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
Something like that? (I used 2d6 Transform because it made the costs close, no other real reason)

I imagine this would be a VERY unpopular spell with Jailers. Perhaps it requires a rare, expendable Focus so every mage in the world isn't constantly escaping from prison.

Nah' date=' mages you just weld into their cells. :)[/quote']

...And if they blow out the cell wall with a blast of pure, arcane force, you say "Sorry to bother you, sir, have a nice day!" But don't run. Mad wizard's brain's process like this: Running = Target. Not-Running = Roll 3d6 and choose from chart.

once this spell get known

cells would become deep pits with slick wall and they just drop you in

will this won't stop the spell most will not be able to climb the walls to get out

but in the meantime I'd go with a minor transform

...And if they blow out the cell wall with a blast of pure' date=' arcane force, you say "Sorry to bother you, sir, have a nice day!" But don't run. Mad wizard's brain's process like this: Running = Target. Not-Running = Roll 3d6 and choose from chart.[/quote']

Which begs the question : if they can blow the cell wall with pure arcane force, what do they need a lockpicking spell for?

Unless wizards always need a focus, incantations, gestures, or some other easily taken away/restrained thing, they just dont get put in regular old prison cells.

Which begs the question : if they can blow the cell wall with pure arcane force, what do they need a lockpicking spell for?

Unless wizards always need a focus, incantations, gestures, or some other easily taken away/restrained thing, they just dont get put in regular old prison cells.

You don't, that's why you put them in a slimy pit, so that you can keep the ones who need to use the lockpicking spells. The ones that can blow out the wall you just let go.

stealth

why would you still use a method that does not work

if it does not work ,you make a better cell

this is as old as there has been conflict

Og decides to use a pointy stick to kill Nog as it will not let Nog get close enough to beat him to death with a rock

Nog after healing from the stabe with the pointy stick ,invents the sling to out range the pointy stick

and is just escalates from there

Sounds like a white hat/black hat hacker competition.

why would you still use a method that does not work

if it does not work ,you make a better cell

this is as old as there has been conflict

Og decides to use a pointy stick to kill Nog as it will not let Nog get close enough to beat him to death with a rock

Nog after healing from the stabe with the pointy stick ,invents the sling to out range the pointy stick

and is just escalates from there

Well it kind of depends on how common magic in general and this spell are. I am probably not going to be calling extreme makeover, prison edition if 3 people on the planet know this spell.

For the spell though I'd go with transform(AoEreally effing huge)full indirect. My problem with telekineses is even with fine manip I have problems seeing it unlocking anything that requires a key lock. I guess I could say the fine manipulation replaces the need for lockpicks, but even then you'd also need to add the lockpick skill to the spell with penalty skill levels for doing it blind IMO. And then you could still fail the roll unless you got the skill really high. Transform, it might take a couple phases but it will be done.