So, "Shields" are back on the list of "Possible Near Future Tech"...

Kraven Kor

Superconductive Deflector Shields. Pretty much exactly what I was envisioning for my campaign, which I'm sure I had read about somewhere before - not claiming this was "my idea." :)

http://io9.com/5499652/british-military-developing-force-fields

Basically more of an electro-magnetic "reactive armor" countermeasure, more akin to Star Wars deflectors than to Star Trek "shields" or Force Fields.

Re: So, "Shields" are back on the list of "Possible Near Future Tech"...

I remember hearing about this concept a few years back. Takes a lot of weight in energy storage capacity to make it work. And simple KE solid shot isn't affected by this.

The idea is that with a strong enough electromagnetic field, you can de-focus the plasma jet from a shaped charge armor-piercing round that it can no longer get through the metal armor. And that concept has been demonstrated to work in lab situations, at least. But getting this to be an effective technology for putting in your armored vehicles is something more than just the demonstration.

Note that this isn't a force field -- it doesn't stop the projectile, it just disrupts the projectile, reducing its armor penetration. In Hero terms, this is adding the 'hardened' advantage to the tank or APCs armor.

I remember hearing about this concept a few years back. Takes a lot of weight in energy storage capacity to make it work. And simple KE solid shot isn't affected by this.

Theoretically KE projectiles can be effected, but it takes even more power. The idea is the charge vaporizes a tiny bit of the shell, and thus destabilizes it so that it hits more obliquely, thereby reducing the penetration. This works much better against long rod penetrators than simple shot, of course.

Well, simple shot won't penetrate any decent armor anywho.

As to how to model it, I would make this add X rPD, Only vs. Shaped Charge Weapons (-1). Most modern vehicle armor would already be considered hardened, while anti-armor weapons are basically "Oh yeah, well I bought Armor Piercing TWICE!" ;)

Oh, and the article is pretty much claiming the brits have figured out a way to not need so much weight in energy production / storage, and I agree it would be nice for some details on how they are pulling that off. With this, you could have a light weight vehicle with "armor" designed for resisting small arms fire - much cheaper - and then "electrostatic armor" for the anti-vehicle stuff - be it shaped charge, penetrating rods, etc.

And a fast enough KE round will have a plasma envelope around it, IIRC, so it might "stop" (partially deflect / destabilize / whatever) things like those 50mm Anti-Vehicle sniper rifles.

Oh, and the article is pretty much claiming the brits have figured out a way to not need so much weight in energy production / storage, and I agree it would be nice for some details on how they are pulling that off. With this, you could have a light weight vehicle with "armor" designed for resisting small arms fire - much cheaper - and then "electrostatic armor" for the anti-vehicle stuff - be it shaped charge, penetrating rods, etc.

And a fast enough KE round will have a plasma envelope around it, IIRC, so it might "stop" (partially deflect / destabilize / whatever) things like those 50mm Anti-Vehicle sniper rifles.

20mm. Twenty. Or 50 CALIBRE. NOT 50mm.

20mm. Twenty. Or 50 CALIBRE. NOT 50mm.

50mm, that would be a round almost 2 inches in diameter? Be really good armor to stand up against that.

Be a really tough sniper to fire it.

For kinetic penetrators, the Telegraph article mentions the development of holey Super Bainite armor, which actually interests me more than the "shield". Projectiles striking this will usually hit close enough to a hole to cause them to yaw, reducing their penetration, and of course the holes make the armor a bit lighter as well.

well, aiui, it would be more accurate to say simple KE solid shot is less affected by this.

If enough current can be passed through a penetrator, it should be possible to "ablate" at least part of the mass.

Hello superconducting Capacitors, if it is going to work very well.

just imfo.