Sort of a WWYCD: Overthrowing Charismatic Conqueror

Spidey88

Re: Sort of a WWYCD: Overthrowing Charismatic Conqueror

:nonp:

Oh sure. I'm just waiting for the bit where the beloved patriot/super soldier who was gunned down like a punk returns - but is revealed to be a genetically-modified alien shapechanger that THINKS it's the real deal...

Ah.

They DID that already, didn't they?

Or have the conscience of their whole roster of heroes (and flagship character) make a deal with their equivalent of the devil...

Dang it, they did that one too...

The best answer I've come up with for this one is the one my semi-reformed villian Vigil would use. He'd just sneak in under cover of darkness and assassinate Tamerlane in his sleep. And to keep the team out of it, he'd do it solo, and under the cover of his villianous identity, Stalker. :eg:

Of course, given my last GM's track record, Tamerlane would probably have a PD higher than my max damage roll... :nonp:

Of course this whole thing has more than a slight resemblance to a situation the Justice League International dealt with back in the day. But that was nearly twenty years ago, and it's therefore fair game for lifting.

Of course this whole thing has more than a slight resemblance to a situation the Justice League International dealt with back in the day. But that was nearly twenty years ago, and it's therefore fair game for lifting.
Good to know! Maybe I'll have to do some reading...:sneaky:

Well, the lot of you have (unsurprisingly) given me a lot of food for thought. It's definitely helped me a get a clearer grasp on what details I'll need to ask questions about next session!

I'm still open to more input, though - fire when ready!

Hmm' date=' I'm out neither Badger nor Frosty Bob like UNTIL enough to work with them. (Bob may or may not be on the most wanted list himself......just saying)[/quote']

Well, our group isn't with UNTIL, nor do we work directly alongside them (we've got access to their intel, but are doing our own thing). So, if you like, how would Badger or Frosty Bob react if they were thrust into such a situation by folks who wouldn't take "no" for an answer?:P

Well' date=' our group isn't with UNTIL, nor do we work directly alongside them (we've got access to their intel, but are doing our own thing). So, if you like, how would Badger or Frosty Bob react if they were thrust into such a situation by folks who wouldn't take "no" for an answer?:P[/quote']

Interesting. Both, in their own ways have deep independent streaks. They also (again in their own ways and for their reasons) are just as liable to push back towards threats (regardless of whether that be a good idea)I'll reread it and give it some thought.

I have a 3rd character that I dont use much in WWYCDs that might be more likely to work with UNTIL. THough it would be only if she could stay in a "hidden" role. She really doesnt want to call global attention to herself due to her Hunteds. I'll think about the one too, seeing she might be the best suited for this one.

My two cents worth. First, accept Tamerlane's invite, and make it as public as possible. Doesn't seem like you guys have a lot of choice about that one. However, if your group has ANYBODY capable of covert ops, they should not go in with the rest. Arrange for a stand-in, somebody who can "be" that hero for the cameras and PR stuff. Mr/Ms Covert Ops should infiltrate the country independantly and do some snooping around. It would probably be a HUGE help if that person can speak the language and knows the culture, but I'm guessing the chances of that are NOT good.

In short, two-pronged approach - one overt and one covert.

Also, do some serious thinking about exit strategies before any of the team goes in. Work out what you might do if things go seriously sideways - which way(s) to run, likely places to regroup or seek refuge, how to call for help or give warning to the outside world, that sort of thing. Privately work out a few code-words and code-phrases among yourselves, so you can at least do the classic 'Doppelganger Challenge' thing or warn people when you are under duress or just tell everybody to "RUN, goddangit!"

... And research the dang country before you go in. Really. At the very least, make sure everyone in the group has a suitable phrasebook and has also studied maps of wherever-the-hell-you-are-going.

You cannot cover every possible eventuality, there is just no way. But you can boil things down to four very basic scenarios:

1. Tamerlane Is OK-ish ;

2. Tamerlane Is Not OK, But We Can Take Him ;

3. Tamerlane Is A Total Frickin' Psycho, And We Need To Leave NOW ;

4. We Are So Totally ####ed. (Odds-on Favourite, IMO)

Just make sure you have a contingency plan or two for each of these.

Oh, and needless to say, you don't tell the TV crew all of your plans. Maybe have a couple of warning codewords specially for them, in case they need them. But anything else you tell them beforehand will either be made public at some point or be leaked to the wrong people. Keep that in mind.

Fortunately, we seem to be on pretty solid ground as far as the legitimacy of our mission is concerned. There might be some objections here and there, but I don't expect the global community as a whole will take issue with us.

As long as the tech suppressing field isn't up, we can make the attempt in relative safety - but we've got no way to ensure that. With the field up, we'll likely be sitting ducks in Tamerlane's stronghold. Still, it's looking more and more like accepting the invitation may be necessary. Besides - walking into a trap you know is a trap is a very comic-book thing to do!

I'll need to check with the GM on this one - but I think only select parts of the competition are being filmed. I might be wrong; but if not, that gives us a little wiggle room.

Why do you assume the global community would approve of the UN attempting political assassinations? People forget that there are many countries in the world that are run by dictators to one degree or another and some even hold high offices in the UN. There would be outcry both from the world at large and from within the UN. Do you think that Iran or Venezuela would approve the overthrow of dictators, that would set a precident with in the UN and soon enough they may find their own leaders the target of the UN's uber menschen hit squad? They would see this act as a steping stone, today a warlord of a lawless land tommorrow the dictators of stable but corrupt nations. A good portion of the world is governed by thugs and you think they would approve the UN deciding which world leaders are good or bad? There is a reason that Iran is the head of the department in the UN for WMD inspections.

As for the suppression field and trap, you may be able to leverage the use of the cameras to your advantage. If he wants to improve his image, Tamerlane will make everything look nice and make sure everyone is on their best behavior for the camera, but he will have to have the suppression field off for the cameras to work. Ask if you can film the event, if yes you can get some non suppression time in the enemy stronghold for at least a little while. If the answer is no then at least you don't have to worry about being caught on film at the worst possible time.

Why do you assume the global community would approve of the UN attempting political assassinations? People forget that there are many countries in the world that are run by dictators to one degree or another and some even hold high offices in the UN. There would be outcry both from the world at large and from within the UN. Do you think that Iran or Venezuela would approve the overthrow of dictators, that would set a precident with in the UN and soon enough they may find their own leaders the target of the UN's uber menschen hit squad? They would see this act as a steping stone, today a warlord of a lawless land tommorrow the dictators of stable but corrupt nations. A good portion of the world is governed by thugs and you think they would approve the UN deciding which world leaders are good or bad? There is a reason that Iran is the head of the department in the UN for WMD inspections.

As for the suppression field and trap, you may be able to leverage the use of the cameras to your advantage. If he wants to improve his image, Tamerlane will make everything look nice and make sure everyone is on their best behavior for the camera, but he will have to have the suppression field off for the cameras to work. Ask if you can film the event, if yes you can get some non suppression time in the enemy stronghold for at least a little while. If the answer is no then at least you don't have to worry about being caught on film at the worst possible time.

Definitely a situation that has plusses on both sides of the equation... Tamerlane may not have thought that one through.

My two cents worth. First, accept Tamerlane's invite, and make it as public as possible. Doesn't seem like you guys have a lot of choice about that one. However, if your group has ANYBODY capable of covert ops, they should not go in with the rest. Arrange for a stand-in, somebody who can "be" that hero for the cameras and PR stuff. Mr/Ms Covert Ops should infiltrate the country independently and do some snooping around. It would probably be a HUGE help if that person can speak the language and knows the culture, but I'm guessing the chances of that are NOT good.
The stand-in is pretty much a given, actually - the aforementioned ninja assassin with shadow powers? She can create completely convincing duplicates of herself out of shadowstuff! Granted, they're rather underpowered compared to the real thing, but they're there for the purpose of just being a decoy anyway. Wraith (the ninja) has mental invisibility (as well as the regular type in shadows), so she should be able to muck around behind the scenes without alerting anyone right away. Ideally, she'd go in and retrieve the princess (the tech suppressor); but at another facility we snuck into, she was protected by a teleport-proof force field - so that may not be on the table. Tamerlane's whole battle plan relies on the princess - so really, she's probably an even higher priority than Tamerlane himself at the moment.

My thoughts were definitely along the lines of "send Wraith out to gather evidence" - possibly on a live feed at the site of some horrible atrocity his army's committed while we're talking to him.

Also, do some serious thinking about exit strategies before any of the team goes in. Work out what you might do if things go seriously sideways - which way(s) to run, likely places to regroup or seek refuge, how to call for help or give warning to the outside world, that sort of thing. Privately work out a few code-words and code-phrases among yourselves, so you can at least do the classic 'Doppelganger Challenge' thing or warn people when you are under duress or just tell everybody to "RUN, goddangit!"
If we're in Tamerlane's stronghold on a live feed, hopefully we can impress that if the cameras go off, we are in deep doo-doo and might need saving (or at least that Tamerlane is a total stinker and can't be trusted)!

Oh, and needless to say, you don't tell the TV crew all of your plans. Maybe have a couple of warning codewords specially for them, in case they need them. But anything else you tell them beforehand will either be made public at some point or be leaked to the wrong people. Keep that in mind.
At this point, it seems as though we're not being broadcast 24/7 - just the interesting parts. Granted, the visit to Tamerlane qualifies - but we may be able to bring cameras ourselves (if we can have a base that exists between dimensions, our alien gadgeteer on staff can surely whip up some roving camera-drones) and not put anyone else in danger.

1. Tamerlane Is OK-ish ;

2. Tamerlane Is Not OK, But We Can Take Him ;

3. Tamerlane Is A Total Frickin' Psycho, And We Need To Leave NOW ;

4. We Are So Totally ####ed. (Odds-on Favourite, IMO)

I'm totally expecting #3, at best... :help:

Why do you assume the global community would approve of the UN attempting political assassinations? People forget that there are many countries in the world that are run by dictators to one degree or another and some even hold high offices in the UN. There would be outcry both from the world at large and from within the UN. Do you think that Iran or Venezuela would approve the overthrow of dictators, that would set a precedent with in the UN and soon enough they may find their own leaders the target of the UN's uber menschen hit squad? They would see this act as a stepping stone, today a warlord of a lawless land tomorrow the dictators of stable but corrupt nations. A good portion of the world is governed by thugs and you think they would approve the UN deciding which world leaders are good or bad? There is a reason that Iran is the head of the department in the UN for WMD inspections.
I fully expect that there will be some shady people in positions of power that will not approve - but I think the global community as a whole will be mostly behind us. People are dying in huge numbers, and Tamerlane's evidently a metahuman (which I think changes things a little, or at least gives us an obvious rationalization. He's not just a dictator - he's a supervillain with an agent that can shut down all technology at will). Feel free to disagree.

Honestly? As long as our patrons are behind us and our moral compasses are pointing in the right direction, I'm not sure that political infighting is really our problem (or something we're able to handle anyway). Sure, we might be sticking our necks out and painting targets on ourselves - but that's part of being a superhero anyway. Yes, I'm oversimplifying things - but I don't expect our GM will be hosing us too terribly. In real life, I'd be much more antsy about stirring up a political hornet's nest.

If we're in Tamerlane's stronghold on a live feed' date=' hopefully we can impress that if the cameras go off, we are in deep doo-doo and might need saving (or at least that Tamerlane is a total stinker and can't be trusted)![/quote']

Fair enough, but I was also thinking about code-stuff to use within the group. For example, somebody spots something very very bad, and wants to quietly warn teammates without letting the bad guys know as well.

Also, I suggest you don't depend too much on the whole "...If the cameras are running and footage is going out, he cannot touch us without really #####ing up his Rep..." thing.

It might well be the case, sure. On the other hand, I can think of a few ways around this particular limitation. Maybe he has a bunch of look-alikes for your team and, at some point, will quietly dispose of you guys and just slot them in. Maybe he has somebody who can splice together old footage of your team with some CGI, to produce a completely different set of footage for the rest of the world. Maybe he has agents on the outside, who will be messing with your broadcasts and/or UN decision-making from the other end. Maybe he has somebody good with Illusions or Mind Control. Maybe, when all is said and done, he just doesn't care.

Good luck.