Spell System

Narf the Mouse

So, I've got the following down for a spell system:

Sorcery: Variable Power Pool, 5 base + 10 control cost, (10 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Change or Study, -1 1/2), IIF (Spellbook; -1/4); all slots 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (By studying Spellbook); -1 1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Extra Time and Focus are only on the VPP. Two questions: Does this seem a fair representation and does "Only to Change or Study" imply a reduction of limitation? At the least, (As Archie remarked on the chat channel) it probably wouldn't be worth a full hour's worth, since a VPP is already 1 Turn to change.

Re: Spell System

1. It seems like a straightforward representation of a Vancian or AD&D magic system.

2. If the VPP is already 1 turn to change, then the limitation should probably be reduced to the difference between 1 hour and 1 turn on the time chart, which should get you to -1 or -1 1/4. And since it's only to change, I'd probably halve the limitation.

Is the VPP also limited by what spells the caster has in his book?

Awesome, thanks.

Sorcery: Variable Power Pool, 20 base + 40 control cost, (40 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Change or Study, -1 1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Spell is not in your spellbook; -1/2), IIF (Spellbook; -1/4); all slots 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (By studying Spellbook); -1 1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

I made it a VPP modifier (I don't see that it limits the actual powers themselves). I'm not entirely sure it's worth -1/2, either.

I would change that "Conditional", to the VPP only (not a common modifier), into the -1/4 version of "Limited Class of Powers Available." And I'd change the IIF, to OAF (Spellbook). Sure, it is IIF when tucked into a bag, but not when you are actually studying it to change up your spell list.

I'd also add a common modifier of "Requires a Skill Roll", if you want the "concentration" mechanic or whatever.

Charges is also kind of questionable, or at least worth a deeper look. A Spell of Armor is going to be a Continuing Charge, while a Fireball would be one shot. I'd recommend removing Gestures, Incantation, and Charges, and putting on Variable Limitations, to be chosen from the appropriate list (Gestures, Incantations, Required Hands, Extra Time, Costs Endurance, Charges) - that way you can have some powers that have the continuing charge and some other limitations to meet the limit, and then other powers with only one or two instant charges but less need for other limitations to meet the required amount.

Another option is to simply leave it all costing END - which removes the "Oh, we had one encounter and now I'm out of spells, we have to rest... in the middle of the dungeon..." issue common to D&D games. They have list of X spells prepared, some might have charges but most just cost END, so they only have X spells per encounter rather than per day.

Another option is to simply leave it all costing END - which removes the "Oh' date=' we had one encounter and now I'm out of spells, we have to rest... in the middle of the dungeon..." issue common to D&D games[/quote']

Yeah... That really was annoying... :thumbdown

I would change that "Conditional", to the VPP only (not a common modifier), into the -1/4 version of "Limited Class of Powers Available." And I'd change the IIF, to OAF (Spellbook). Sure, it is IIF when tucked into a bag, but not when you are actually studying it to change up your spell list.

I'd also add a common modifier of "Requires a Skill Roll", if you want the "concentration" mechanic or whatever.

Charges is also kind of questionable, or at least worth a deeper look. A Spell of Armor is going to be a Continuing Charge, while a Fireball would be one shot. I'd recommend removing Gestures, Incantation, and Charges, and putting on Variable Limitations, to be chosen from the appropriate list (Gestures, Incantations, Required Hands, Extra Time, Costs Endurance, Charges) - that way you can have some powers that have the continuing charge and some other limitations to meet the limit, and then other powers with only one or two instant charges but less need for other limitations to meet the required amount.

I couldn't find the limitation "Limited Class of Powers Available" in HD.

It's IFF because you only need it while studying, not while casting spells. That makes it inobvious because, unless you see them studying the spellbook, it's not obvious they need it. It's also inaccessible you don't have it out while casting spells - Which, to me, is the critical point. It's not likely to be snatched while studying it.

Given that I'm going for a D&D-style mechanic where memorization and casting always works, that wouldn't fit.

Variable Limitations may work, I'll have to give it some thought.

If you'll look over the build again, you'll see that they don't have to sleep, just spend another hour studying their spellbook.

Another option is to simply leave it all costing END - which removes the "Oh' date=' we had one encounter and now I'm out of spells, we have to rest... in the middle of the dungeon..." issue common to D&D games. They have list of X spells prepared, some might have charges but most just cost END, so they only have X spells per encounter rather than per day.[/quote']

I prefer to only use charges to reflect consumable spell components. For the most part Endurance does the job good enough. If you feel that this would allow casters the ability to cast more spells than you want, then have them buy an End Reserve, and all spells need to go through that, and then reduce the time rate of the recovery...

I couldn't find the limitation "Limited Class of Powers Available" in HD.

Simon chose not to include the Limitations on page 6E1 410 in the 6e HD build.

I asked about it here.

The various Limitations that affect how and when a Variable Power Pool can be changed are missing when creating a 6th Edition character.

e.g. VPP Can Only Be Changed Between Adventures, or Limited Class of Powers.

I "unzipped" the .jar file and looked at the two Main files. The Limitations are in Main.hdt but they are missing from Main6E.hdt.

The Limitations listed in the rulebook are examples of various options' date=' not hard rules (e.g. "these are some ideas" not "these are the only Limitations you can take"). The Advantages were handled differently, treated as hard rules and not examples....hence their inclusion in the template.[/quote']

I don't agree with the choice, but I didn't want to argue.