Help needed for a team name

Lord Mhoram

I'm currently working on my timeline for my Champs game, and I need a team name to create a very specific connotation, and am drawing a blank.

Much like other timelines I'm doing a "timeline follows comics style" thing. The gunmetal age is a result of of the UN superteams the IST (international super teams)* The IST is allowed on US soil in early mid nineties, and by late 90's has full US police powers. The IST member nations (and IST itself) have a lot of control of who can be supers, and who can't - this leads to many good heroes being a little more extreme; as they are outlaws due to the IST.

Then scandal erupts and it turns out that the IST were the pawns of a world cartel that almost gained control of the world through the IST (and having wormed into the UN and was making it dance to its tune as well). IST is disbanded, and the shadow players power here is destroyed, but not all are caught. Then UNTIL becomes the primary UN force.

A few years later, a number of the heroes that were actually good guys in the IST forms a UN okayed supergroup, and is a truly heroic team. They will end up with good relations with most governments and superteams (most superteams had bad relationships with IST). This new team is humble, and are trying to do the right thing, and to make up for what they (or some of them at any rate) were manipulated into doing.

They sort of represent the "post modern" Astro city feel that exists in places in modern comics.

What do I call them?

* - yes the IST is stolen wholecloth from the Gurps book.

As I read your post, the name that sprang to mind was "The Unity". As I scrolled down, I saw Supreme Serpent had the same idea.

Other ones I thought of were "Penance" (as did Enforcer84) and "The Penitents", which tie in with ideas of penal institutions/crime stopping as well as repentence. Also, "The Atoners", which I think might have a nicer "ring" to it, but doesn't have the same associations. That might or might not be a good thing.

Crosshair Collie might have the right idea; Vindicators sounds good to me.

Originally posted by Lord Mhoram

Thanks all, for the help through the brainmire.

Unity or Penncance is what I will go with.

"Unity" might be a poor choice if the real danger of a one world government has only recently been put down.

Some thoughts for anyone doing a similar team;

W.M.O. (World Metahuman Organization, sometimes called Team World by supporters an Mao or Moo by detractors).

Globalpol

Interpol-M

Esperi (Hope in Esperanto)

Aspiri (To Aspire in Esperanto)

Espérer (Hope in French)

~"Prodigal Children" (Christian reference)

~"Wilson's Warriors" (reference to Woodrow Wilson, President who dreamed up the League of Nations, which became the United Nations)

~"Arcadians" (Name they go by in my campaign...trying to create paradise on Earth, they are)

~Le Guarde Fantastique (my French sucks, but you get the idea. Name doesn't have to be in English. In my campaign , the largest superhero team is in France...they are also the most annoying) ;)

Seems you like the name "Unity", LM. However, like someone else mentioned, that name might reinforce the previous domination-minded group, especially is UNity is directly involved with the UN.

How about you name the team "Unity" as you propose, but allow the group to RP a name change if they so desire? Don't bring it up, necessarily, but if the propose the idea let 'em run with it.

Originally posted by Vanguard00

How about you name the team "Unity" as you propose, but allow the group to RP a name change if they so desire? Don't bring it up, necessarily, but if the propose the idea let 'em run with it.

This is actually for an NPC team, so the name is what I like it to be. :D Sorry if that wasn't clear. It may actually end up as the PC team at some point, but I duuno. Depends on what the players want.

The game I am running is what I call "tapestryverse". I am bouncing around 3/4 different teams, rotating which ones I want to GM, and which the players feel like playing, depending on everyone's mood. A lower powered college team set in San Angelo. A mystic team based in Denver but can travel all over. A JLA level team (made up of members of the two teams of the two defunct campaigns that each lasted 8-10 years - the legacy heroes) and a fairly normal citybased superteam - although this one may change.