6E books question... bit confused on what to buy...

Kraven Kor

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 6E books question... bit confused on what to buy...

No. The basic book just duplicates stuff in 6e vol1+2. I picked it up though because it's easier to hand it over to players at the table that mooch books. It's useful when you don't want to haul the bigger books. Really though, once you have Vol. 1 and 2, you don't need ANY of the other books, it's just a "what you want to grab" then....

~Rex.....

No. The basic book just duplicates stuff in 6e vol1+2. I picked it up though because it's easier to hand it over to players at the table that mooch books. It's useful when you don't want to haul the bigger books. Really though, once you have Vol. 1 and 2, you don't need ANY of the other books, it's just a "what you want to grab" then....

~Rex.....

So, 6E Basic Rulebook = 5E Sidekick, basically?

Yeah though it's not a toned down system, it just contains less calories. :D But Side Kick is a good way to think of it. I think of it as the Book that if it gets eaten I only wasted the cost of two pitchers of Guinness.

When I did my big 6e Care Package over seas, I sent One Vol 1+2, one APG, and 6 copies of the Basic book plus the PDF pile of all the above (So HERO 6e is all over Afganistan right now. :D) The Basic book is a handy reference for players at the table that need to know the system, but don't want to pick up the big books because of cost or impact of cost upon their next 4 grand of d20 purchases or WoW renewals....

:D

~Rex

Got the PDF copies sitting on the bottom of the Ocean in a Sub as well. So when the Nuclear War comes, let it be known, the first Sub Launch from us could have been over the debate of less vs more in 6e. :D

~Rex

So' date=' 6E Basic Rulebook = 5E Sidekick, basically?[/quote']That is exactly what the Basic Rulebook is.

APG has a lot of useful little tidbits in it. Only you will be able to decide if those tidbits will work with your game, but it is an interesting read anyway.

So the Basic book is repeat material from 6E1/6E2, but the APG has new material not in either of the core books? Is the APG all new material, or does it contain some repeat material from 6E1/6E2?

(I, too, found these four books caused me a lot of confusion in figuring out what I should buy to get back into GMing Hero.)

So the Basic book is repeat material from 6E1/6E2' date=' but the APG has new material not in either of the core books? [/quote'] That is it precisely. The APG is kind of a HERO Theory book. It is not a mainstream rulebook nor is it a genre or setting book. It is a collection of rules that, for whatever reason, were not included in the main book. It also has some discussion about existing game elements (characteristics, skills, etc) and how to expand those.
Is the APG all new material, or does it contain some repeat material from 6E1/6E2?
It does not contain any material from the main books. Of note, Fantasy HERO does contain at least one element (Delayed Use) from the APG. Not all of the information is new. Some of it existed in various supplements in 5th Edition (Resource Pools for instance) but none of that was carried directly over to the core rulebooks.

The Basic Rulebook is just a HERO-lite book and while containing all the information a person needs to introduce themselves to the HERO System, it is a far cry less than the contents of the actual 6E1/6E2 books. In a way, I actually think the Basic Rulebook is nifty because it presents fewer options for many things. For the purpose of learning the mechanics of the system, I think it would be more easily digested than the two volume encyclopedia set. On the other hand, some of the things it is missing are important elements of the HERO System. I can fake it because I have HERO Designer and a whole slew of 5th Edition books.

I honestly recommend both books for the HEROphile. One to quickly learn the system and one for a sort of advanced HERO theory textbook.

Not to be rude' date=' but one might try reading the descritpion of the books. They can be found in the Store and right here on the forums...[/quote']

Did that, in every place I could find them. The descriptions are inadequate to explain just how Basic and APG relate to SE1/SE2.

When a potential customer claims confusion over product choice, blaming the customer is not a reaction prone to create a fan.

The APG is neat stuff that Steve wanted to have in print for 6th edition but that didn't belong in the core rules. Basically. :)

And to reiterate what others have said, the Basic book is exactly the 6th edition version of Sidekick. The name was changed so that people looking to get into the Hero System wouldn't think that it was a book about playing/generating sidekicks. :)

Thank you' date=' just the thing I wanted to know. Throw Basic at my new players, buy APG for myself. :)[/quote']

Exactly. Also the Basic book is handy for quick in game stuff for the basics.....you can flip through it faster then the big books. APG is great material though. Nifty cool stuff.

~Rex

Did that, in every place I could find them. The descriptions are inadequate to explain just how Basic and APG relate to SE1/SE2.

When a potential customer claims confusion over product choice, blaming the customer is not a reaction prone to create a fan.

This.

I'm a purdy smart feller, and I had spent about 15 to 20 minutes looking at bundles and trying to decide what I needed compared to what I wanted or could use. I figured the Basic book was "Sidekick" but wasn't sure of what the APG would have that the two main books wouldn't, if anything.

And before I dropped $100+, I wanted to ask for input from my fellow HEROphiles, as I am known to do :D

Fortunately, Bigby only represents himself.

On top of being easier to carry and share with other players, Hero System Basic Rulebook also provides a wonderful example of combat with a battle between Defender and Pulsar (BR 106-8), which is something that I feel is lacking from the Hero System Sixth Edition volumes 1 and 2. It covers all of the basics and, I think, does a good job of introducing how each of the different elements interact as a whole. In one easy-to-read section, it describes how to: make presence attacks, principally from a dramatic entrance; figure initiative, including speed and dexterity; do post-segment 12 recoveries; phase-based recoveries; attack and effect rolls, including entangles and blasts with range and autofire modifiers; damage and defenses, including stunning, knockout and knockback; aborting actions and dodging; and movement (including flight, half moves, and the combat maneuver, move through) and cover mechanics. All things considered, it is a pretty comprehensive introduction for new players in the space of three pages! It sure helped me (as a novice Hero player) get a grasp on how to play.

Yeah the basic book is great for the newbies. It's also just handy to have around later. Mine's seen a lot of wear and tear already being passed around the table while I hog the big books to myself, but so far it's earned it's price tage.

~Rex

Fortunately' date=' Bigby only represents himself.[/quote']

Sure I do, that's why Hyper-Man repped me for saying it. This is probably the 20th time I've seen this question asked and at least the 2nd or 3rd thread dedicated specifically to it. I wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to point out that the information is already out there, in multiple places, in multiple forms.

The OP specifically asked if the Basic Rule book was needed in addition to 6E1+2. Having read the description from the store I honestly can't understand the confusion. That, and it has been discussed since 6 months before 6E came out.

The Basic Rulebook contains all of the core HERO System rules, including character creation, combat and adventuring, and equipment — but without all of the options and details found in the standard rulebook. The Basic Rulebook boils the HERO System down to its essential elements so you can easily teach yourself the game, bring new players into your campaign quickly, or refresh your memory on a crucial rule. And when you’re ready to move up to the complete HERO System, learning it will be a snap because the Basic Rulebook’s already taught you the basics!

Again, wasn't trying to be rude, but I've posted in other threads where the OPs didn't even bother to read the descriptions (like the people who complain that the name Sidekick was confusing in 5E because they didn't read the back of the book before buying it and assumed it was superhero genre book) and than complained about confusion, so I was just pointing out that the info is out there.

EDIT: And to answer the OP directly, no.

EDIT 2.0: And RavenX99, I didn't "blame the customer" for anything. Pointing out where information can be found, especially when I have no way of magically knowing whether the person in question has used that resource yet or not (I mean, honestly, you're not even the OP and you jump down my throat like I should know you've already looked there), is in no conceivable way "blaming" them for anything. Shouting someone down for simply trying to help isn't the best way to make fans either.