Equipment

quozaxx

I just got the new Fantasy Hero. I am not used to using money for equipment and the idea of 400 (300 - 500) SP sounds good. But what equipment should a good adventurer have?

I already told the player they each have a Riding Horse (for free), I also realize that Armor, and weapons are important but I'm not sure if I want to be an accountant to my players.

What do you suggest? Any help with the concept of equipment would be great.

Re: Equipment

Last time I ran a fantasy campaign, I basically let the players have "whatever seems appropriate to your concept" for starting equipment, along with a handful of silver pieces.

Of course, this only works if your players are willing to be reasonable.

Also, just because you START with a suit of plate armor for free doesn't mean you can maintain it for free.

I recently started everybody out with 500 Silver Pieces. I found that it tends to outfit the group to what felt right to me.

Edit: I noticed that most tended to choose 1 set of armor (shield optional). 1 primary weapon, 1 secondary weapon, 1 utility weapon (knife or dagger usually). Aside from that, ammunition (for those with bows or crossbows), a light source of some kind, and what I call the "Standard Adventurers Pack" which is the typical Backpack, bedroll, rations, etc.

No mounts for this setting so nobody purchased horses or whatnot.

I use a set of standard starting equipment, a Money Perk that is broken out in the common currency, and costs for weapons and armor. Most folks get by without even caring about starting money unless they want to play a knight type character. Then they have to fork out some money to buy the really heavy armor. In my campaign defenses are expensive so I wanted to create a currency system to support it. You can get the campaign doc here that has all of the details: http://www.usandacat.com/herohq/campaigns/SpiritStorm6e.pdf

I've been using the Resource Point system for "significant" equipment -- weapon and armor, vehicles and horses, magic items, and the like. It seems to work fairly well -- I assume my PCs are seasoned heroes, and have a suite of resources, but only a few readily at hand.

I base it on the wealth perk. No perk = simple weapons and armor only, no mount, etc. Say, short bow, dagger, leather armor. Well Off would be, say, Longsword, Wooden Shield, Crossbow, Chain Mail, Mount w/ no barding. Rich would be Plate Mail, Broadsword & Kite Shield, Mount w/ Barding, etc. Filthy Rich (which I normally don't allow in FH) would be "Whatever you wanted" but magic (or Lost Tech, in my setting) items would still cost points.