So I snagged San Angelo on the very cheap

Hermit

Long rambling on me thinking of the ways to use this for my campaign below:

My friend raised a brow as I returned to the van with my prize. Noting her curiosity, I held it up and let her see the title.

'San Angelo: City of Heroes'

"I had to get this," I explained, wondering if I sounded defensive, "It was only three bucks and given what it is, for that price, I sort of had to."

"Sure," She nodded, "But 'given what it is'?"

"Well, judging by what some have said on the internet, it's kind of the holy grail of superhero city settings."

Being a she-geek, my friend knew to look suitably impressed at both the terminology, and the internet support...either that, or she was humoring me, "The Holy Grail, wow."

"Well," Knowing I did have a gift for hyperbole, I toned it down, "more of the 'holy thimble' but still it gets praise."

"Cool, have any plans yet?"

We drove off

"I'm working on it," I replied in that lofty 'don't I ALWAYS know what to do with these things' tone that gamemasters have.

Of course, I have no idea, or rather, too many ideas.

My group still hasn't made the full transition from fifth to 6th, and here I've gotten a 4th edition product that isn't even in the same universe. I've glanced through it, and see what folks meant about a lot of it. The neighborhoods in particular seem to be very nicely described and summed up. Most of my 'West Coast action' in my games is set in 'New Constantinople' , but that's not in California, so I'm not worried about crowding.

I am probably NOT going to get any more San Angelo related supplements. Too many things to buy as it is, not enough cash, and so on. So this is what I'll build on.

I'll probably end up mixing it into the Champs Universe, and that alone means it will undergo some shifts. Not sure how easily I can do that without damaging the internal integrity of the setting. I LIKE aliens, for example , and that's pretty 'out there' by what I'm seeing in the San Angelo verse. How disruptive to the setting will it really be, I end up asking myself.

The Justice Foundation is ok, though I don't think my players will want to play them. They prefer their own characters, and understandably so. I'm not sure whether to age them 13 or so years (The time line for the book ends at 1997)or just assume the book's info starts now, and if I do go with aging them, should I age just the heroes and villains to make room for a new generation, or go whole hog and let everyone in the city mentioned go forward at least a decade.

The aging thing also allows some 'legacy' potential , if I or my players go that path. The challenge (albeit an intriguing one) comes to 'what happened in the time that passed?'. Is the Justice Foundation still operating? Did any of the heroes die? I prefer bronze age (some silver streaks) to Iron, but there were certainly enough enemies on the JF that if I wanted a rather grim 'they were all destroyed by the evil so and so' I could do that. I'm leaning more towards a 'powers dimmed, they had kids, and maybe one nobly sacrificed him/herself to save the city'. Any thoughts on how certain SA characters should or in your opinion would progress are most welcome.

Lastly, I'm even thinking of tying this all into a 'reality crisis' situation, either one that occurred between 1997 and now (Reality Storm module was with a different universe, but who is to say it didn't drag a few 'neighbors' in?) or starting it out as separate, and then having some 'multiverse merging crisis' occur with my player's characters being in the start of it one way or another now. It might explain why San Angelo, on some level, wouldn't be as used to aliens, Artificial intelligences, and Atlanteans (which means the church would really have Atlanteans?)

What 'official' Champions villains would want to move to San Angelo, or at least go there to meet people and rob places? How much attention would PRIMUS or UNTIL give it?

and so forth

Anyone else incorporate this thing into their CU? If so, how'd it work out for you?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: So I snagged San Angelo on the very cheap

I have used a modified San Angelo in my own CU-based campaign, and I intend to return to this thread to discuss some of the issues you raise when I have more time. But I just want to preface my remarks by noting that San Angelo is to a large extent a self-contained setting. The story presented in SA:CoH is the story of the city itself and its heroes, with only small references to the wider world. As such it's not difficult to insert into most other supers settings inspired by mainstream comics. Specifically on the issue of aliens, there isn't a significant ongoing "alien presence" in either Millennium City or Vibora Bay, so IMO their presence in the SA world wouldn't fundamentally affect the city itself.

Also IME, for folks who find the CU's "rising magic" as the cause for superpowers to be unpalatable, SA's "Flux" event is for some reason more acceptable to most of them. ;)

I am probably NOT going to get any more San Angelo related supplements. Too many things to buy as it is, not enough cash, and so on. So this is what I'll build on.

I'll probably end up mixing it into the Champs Universe, and that alone means it will undergo some shifts. Not sure how easily I can do that without damaging the internal integrity of the setting. I LIKE aliens, for example , and that's pretty 'out there' by what I'm seeing in the San Angelo verse. How disruptive to the setting will it really be, I end up asking myself.

Pursuant to the point in my previous post, it's not so much that aliens are "out there," but that most people in SA view the possibility of alien life, and reports of contact with it, much as people in the real world do. If anything, the presence of paranormals, often with weird appearances, is used to explain apparent "aliens." However, the presence or absence of aliens doesn't have a major impact on the daily lives of people in the Champions Universe, so it shouldn't be disruptive in the San Angelo setting.

The Justice Foundation is ok, though I don't think my players will want to play them. They prefer their own characters, and understandably so. I'm not sure whether to age them 13 or so years (The time line for the book ends at 1997)or just assume the book's info starts now, and if I do go with aging them, should I age just the heroes and villains to make room for a new generation, or go whole hog and let everyone in the city mentioned go forward at least a decade.

The aging thing also allows some 'legacy' potential , if I or my players go that path. The challenge (albeit an intriguing one) comes to 'what happened in the time that passed?'. Is the Justice Foundation still operating? Did any of the heroes die? I prefer bronze age (some silver streaks) to Iron, but there were certainly enough enemies on the JF that if I wanted a rather grim 'they were all destroyed by the evil so and so' I could do that. I'm leaning more towards a 'powers dimmed, they had kids, and maybe one nobly sacrificed him/herself to save the city'. Any thoughts on how certain SA characters should or in your opinion would progress are most welcome.

My suggestion would be to either advance the timeline so that the original Justice Foundation members have mostly retired or been killed, or use everything as given in the book for the present day (not difficult in most cases) but without the JF team. In either case the actual non-profit Justice Foundation itself can be used as the handy sponsors for your PC superhero team, just as they were for the team in the sourcebook. (They don't necessarily have to use the same name.) ;)

Lastly' date=' I'm even thinking of tying this all into a 'reality crisis' situation, either one that occurred between 1997 and now (Reality Storm module was with a different universe, but who is to say it didn't drag a few 'neighbors' in?) or starting it out as separate, and then having some 'multiverse merging crisis' occur with my player's characters being in the start of it one way or another now. It might explain why San Angelo, on some level, wouldn't be as used to aliens, Artificial intelligences, and Atlanteans (which means the church would really have Atlanteans?)[/quote']

The experiments to create artificial singularities, which resulted in "flux radiation" spawning superhumans, would be a handy rationale for such an event. In the San Angelo timeline, the second, permanent singularity created in 1982 was an attempt to reproduce the brief accidental one from 1936, so it would be reasonable to expect subsequent attempts.

What 'official' Champions villains would want to move to San Angelo, or at least go there to meet people and rob places? How much attention would PRIMUS or UNTIL give it?

and so forth

I don't think SA would receive any less attention from the various super villains and agencies in the Champions Universe than would any other large, modern American city. However, the presence of many high-tech industries in the city would undoubtedly attract special interest from ARGENT, Mechanon, and other villains interested in scientific advances; particularly since some of them result from meddling by two time-travelers (which would likely also attract Captain Chronos). OTOH the significant mystic sites, tomes, and relics in San Angelo would also interest DEMON, the Circle of the Scarlet Moon, or other occult villains.

Anyone else incorporate this thing into their CU? If so' date=' how'd it work out for you?[/quote']

For one Fourth Edition campaign, the main antagonist blended two light-powered master villains, Photon/Stephen Bow from SA with Sunburst from Classic Enemies. I gave the character Sunburst's messianic complex after being "touched by the Sun," the accident that gave him his powers. In my world Sunburst/Stephen Bow became CEO of Eclipse Industries, a major industrial corporation, as he was on track to be in the SA book; but he had also taken on the guise of Adam, founder of the new-age Light of Truth Ministry from SA. I modified the Ministry a little, making them New Age sun worshippers, with Adam presenting himself as the avatar of the Sun itself. As Sunburst he would recruit the most fanatical followers of the Light of Truth as agents of his support organization, "Solar Mass," (borrowed from the 4E Champions Universe book). I always liked the interplay of light/sun motifs among these groups.

The various branches of Sunburst's organization were able to clandestinely help each other. Donations to Light of Truth financed some of Stephen Bow's secret projects at Eclipse Industries. Pirated Eclipse technology equipped agents of Solar Mass. Solar Mass would eliminate people who pried too deeply into the affairs of Eclipse Industries or the Light of Truth Ministry.

Sunburst's long-term goal was to prevent worldwide ecological collapse, by giving the world a divinely-inspired vision of how it should be. Eventually human society would be reorganized according to new priorities, under the only being capable of bringing the renewing vigor and clear vision of the Sun -- its avatar, Sunburst. Persuasion would be used first, with force employed if persuasion fails. Short term goals included acquisition of sufficient influence and power to achieve the long term.

Like most cults, minions were drawn from the disenfranchised and from those searching for something to believe in. They were effectively brainwashed to fanatic loyalty. Members of the group saw themselves as followers of the divinely-appointed Savior of the World, which justified many actions with unfortunate short-term consequences. The group's leader was in complete agreement with them. ;)

I found several hooks to get the PCs involved with the different branches of Sunburst's organization: stopping Sunburst's crimes, investigating shady dealings at Eclipse, rescuing a brainwashed DNPC from the Light of Truth. The heroes were attacked and harrassed in and out of combat by these groups. I was rather proud of the fact that it took a long time before they realized that these enemies were all aspects of the same group.

Pursuant to the point in my previous post' date=' it's not so much that aliens are "out there," but that most people in SA view the possibility of alien life, and reports of contact with it, much as people in the real world do. If anything, the presence of paranormals, often with weird appearances, is used to explain apparent "aliens." However, the presence or absence of aliens doesn't have a major impact on the daily lives of people in the Champions Universe, so it shouldn't be disruptive in the San Angelo setting.[/quote']As I read more, I'm gathering much the same. :)

My suggestion would be to either advance the timeline so that the original Justice Foundation members have mostly retired or been killed, or use everything as given in the book for the present day (not difficult in most cases) but without the JF team. In either case the actual non-profit Justice Foundation itself can be used as the handy sponsors for your PC superhero team, just as they were for the team in the sourcebook. (They don't necessarily have to use the same name.) ;)

Yeah, the advancing the timeline idea allows more personal touches and instant background at the same time, but it is also a lot of work. Removing the JF superteam entirely might be the way to go (Or if the PCs need a PC back up, bringing one of them and only one to help out might work-I only have 3 regular players so this isn't uncommon)

The experiments to create artificial singularities, which resulted in "flux radiation" spawning superhumans, would be a handy rationale for such an event. In the San Angelo timeline, the second, permanent singularity created in 1982 was an attempt to reproduce the brief accidental one from 1936, so it would be reasonable to expect subsequent attempts.

Doh! Of course. Come to think of it, that could lead to lots of fun things... V'han might 'notice' and we have a hook for her if I want to, and it allows a lot of 'weak walls in reality' storylines if I want to get weird on them.

I don't think SA would receive any less attention from the various super villains and agencies in the Champions Universe than would any other large, modern American city. However, the presence of many high-tech industries in the city would undoubtedly attract special interest from ARGENT, Mechanon, and other villains interested in scientific advances; particularly since some of them result from meddling by two time-travelers (which would likely also attract Captain Chronos). OTOH the significant mystic sites, tomes, and relics in San Angelo would also interest DEMON, the Circle of the Scarlet Moon, or other occult villains.

Nice suggestion, I have mad love for Captain Chronos, but for this situation I might have to play him more seriously than I often do (One online player of mine refers to him ICly as "Captain Saran Wrap" ) but a change up is good.

For one Fourth Edition campaign, the main antagonist blended two light-powered master villains, Photon/Stephen Bow from SA with Sunburst from Classic Enemies. I gave the character Sunburst's messianic complex after being "touched by the Sun," the accident that gave him his powers. In my world Sunburst/Stephen Bow became CEO of Eclipse Industries, a major industrial corporation, as he was on track to be in the SA book; but he had also taken on the guise of Adam, founder of the new-age Light of Truth Ministry from SA. I modified the Ministry a little, making them New Age sun worshippers, with Adam presenting himself as the avatar of the Sun itself. As Sunburst he would recruit the most fanatical followers of the Light of Truth as agents of his support organization, "Solar Mass," (borrowed from the 4E Champions Universe book). I always liked the interplay of light/sun motifs among these groups.

The various branches of Sunburst's organization were able to clandestinely help each other. Donations to Light of Truth financed some of Stephen Bow's secret projects at Eclipse Industries. Pirated Eclipse technology equipped agents of Solar Mass. Solar Mass would eliminate people who pried too deeply into the affairs of Eclipse Industries or the Light of Truth Ministry.

Sunburst's long-term goal was to prevent worldwide ecological collapse, by giving the world a divinely-inspired vision of how it should be. Eventually human society would be reorganized according to new priorities, under the only being capable of bringing the renewing vigor and clear vision of the Sun -- its avatar, Sunburst. Persuasion would be used first, with force employed if persuasion fails. Short term goals included acquisition of sufficient influence and power to achieve the long term.

Like most cults, minions were drawn from the disenfranchised and from those searching for something to believe in. They were effectively brainwashed to fanatic loyalty. Members of the group saw themselves as followers of the divinely-appointed Savior of the World, which justified many actions with unfortunate short-term consequences. The group's leader was in complete agreement with them. ;)

I found several hooks to get the PCs involved with the different branches of Sunburst's organization: stopping Sunburst's crimes, investigating shady dealings at Eclipse, rescuing a brainwashed DNPC from the Light of Truth. The heroes were attacked and harrassed in and out of combat by these groups. I was rather proud of the fact that it took a long time before they realized that these enemies were all aspects of the same group.

Impressive! And very tempting. I haven't used Project Sunburst in a long time, so stealing from you there in smaller parts is possible. Regardless, that sounds like some amazing game mastering your part :)

Anyone else incorporate this thing into their CU? If so, how'd it work out for you?

No immediate practical suggestions for you (my hard copy gaming items are in storage roughly 3,600 miles from where I am at the moment...And no budget for shipping at present....sigh :( ) Just an opinion/personal viewpoint.

While I do not use the prefab CU as written, I definitely have adapted (stolen :sneaky: ) some parts of SA for my personal campaign universe(s). And since some of the Team Norfolk folks visit these boards.....

The "tyrant escaping from the future to the past" concept mostly.....

As an old school fanboy I find SA meshes well with various other older edition stuff I have harvested from other supplements. And as I am happy with 5thEd and have no plans to change in the near term the adaption(s) are not too difficult. Even if those ideas/characters/etc have only seen limited play so far.

-Carl-

No immediate practical suggestions for you (my hard copy gaming items are in storage roughly 3,600 miles from where I am at the moment...And no budget for shipping at present....sigh :( ) Just an opinion/personal viewpoint.

While I do not use the prefab CU as written, I definitely have adapted (stolen :sneaky: ) some parts of SA for my personal campaign universe(s). And since some of the Team Norfolk folks visit these boards.....

The "tyrant escaping from the future to the past" concept mostly.....

As an old school fanboy I find SA meshes well with various other older edition stuff I have harvested from other supplements. And as I am happy with 5thEd and have no plans to change in the near term the adaption(s) are not too difficult. Even if those ideas/characters/etc have only seen limited play so far.

-Carl-

Your "opinion/personal viewpoint" is much appreciated , believe me. :) I will say this, the setting is rife with story hooks, and I'm seeing some serious connection potential.

What happened to San Angelo?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/65273-What-happened-to-San-Angelo

This will give you an idea of the free Resources you might want to check out for free. If you want more I can send them to your email.

Long Live San Angelo: City of Heroes.

QM

What happened to San Angelo?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/65273-What-happened-to-San-Angelo

This will give you an idea of the free Resources you might want to check out for free. If you want more I can send them to your email.

Long Live San Angelo: City of Heroes.

QM

Thank you for the link

A few other potential CU ties:

SA's Chinatown is apparently "infected" with mystic forces pervading the area, possibly starting with the "Chinese sorceror and arch-criminal" T'ien Lung who controlled it during the Golden Age (SA p. 147). This would likely make it attractive to Dr. Yin Wu and/or the Cult of the Red Banner. If you make San Angelo part of the Champions Universe, either or both of these menaces could be substituted for T'ien Lung.

The secret experiments in human cloning and genetic engineering by Helix Technologies (SA pp. 173-74) would probably interest Teleios if he learned of them -- he might want to steal from them, destroy them as rivals, or even sponsor them as fronts. FutureWorks Robotics (SA p. 175), particularly their attempts to create artificial intelligence, would probably be viewed as an abomination by Mechanon; OTOH he might try to subvert the company to his own purposes, or already have done so.

Thanks again, LL :)

I'm sorry if I got quiet, but I finally got HD for 6th Edition (had been at 2.42 for a long happy time) and between this and San Angelo, I thought I'd try to make a few 'here, pick a hero if you don't want to start from scratch' types that might tie into the city one way or another.

I'd like something confirmed from those more in the know. It would appear, judging by a few clipped 'npc comments' that Mind-Master maybe using some sort of 'mental transformation' on folks to make them law abiding citizens and such. Anyone have more details on that?

I'd like something confirmed from those more in the know. It would appear' date=' judging by a few clipped 'npc comments' that Mind-Master maybe using some sort of 'mental transformation' on folks to make them law abiding citizens and such. Anyone have more details on that?[/quote']

You are correct. Mind-Master's background was developed further in the villains compendium, Enemies of San Angelo. He started out as a typical law-abiding superhero; but frustrated by the recidivism of lawbreakers, he started making "modifications" to the minds of criminals he caught (Mental Transform) to cause them to reform. As his obsession grew he began doing this to people with "criminal thoughts" but who hadn't actually committed any crimes yet. Confronted by his fellow heroes, Mind-Master succumbed to paranoia and megalomania. He fled and adopted a new identity as Mastermind, determined to bring about Utopia through mental coercion.

Ok. Thought about putting them in a thread of their own, but instead of littering up the joint, I think I'll also use this thread to lay out some 6th Edition superhero character sheets and concepts , most (though not all) having a hook into what i hope to do with San Angelo. At this point, I'll take LL's advice and have the city be as if the Justice Foundation never started a hero group. The timeline is some what flexible, some things occurring as written, others more recent.

EDIT: I should add, I tried to leave at least 5 points unspent for ease of tweaking. I'm still rather rough on 6th Edition character creation, at least compared to many who jumped right into it. Having gotten a new HD with 6th Ed capabilities, and my players slowly relenting to give it a try one day, I ran out of excuses to change my ways . So here goes.

The use of 2nd Person view point is done to allow for the feel of anyone making it their own character, and while some have genders in mind, in theory, there's very little to stop said gender from being flipped if a player prefers one concept over the other in my group. At least, that's my idea. Very likely they may decline all of these, but I figure if they accept and go with this it will speed somethings up.

And in my defense of any typos or other mistakes, these were sort of hastily cobbled together under the guidance of a rather pushy muse

First up

Raven

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37212[/ATTACH]

Background/History:As you looked about the reservation, you wondered how your parents and grandparents could be so blind? They spoke of a glorious heritage, of a deep and abiding spirituality that lingered still. It's like they had bought the whole "Noble Red Man" story hook line, and sinker. You saw the Rez for what it was, a trap of poverty, delusion, and ignorance.

You wanted out, and by dint of hard work and determination, you got off the Rez and out into the REAL world with a scholarship in business. You even changed your last name to make it as clean a break as possible and to make sure you were more likely to be accepted by your peers in the business world.

You tried to tell yourself the betrayed look in your father's eyes wasn't going to get you down.

You got a job at a local real estate and land development company and things started to look up for you even more. Your peers respected your drive and intellect, and the 'glass ceiling' you'd heard so much of was mostly an excuse for quitters. You were a hardass.

Ok, ok, despite knowing better, you donated to charities once or twice. You stood up for some co-workers when you thought someone was being unfair...

but anyone can slip.

Things were definitely looking up, until the company you were working for found something on a construction dig. It was some sort of burial site, and worse, it looks like the bones were from some long lost tribal ancestor who was in some sort of battle with some other guy where they both died. You knew the Elders of the Rez would raise a fit if they found out, and when some big wig supervisor got the bright idea that you might be able to 'convince' them to let the development continue quickly you winced but you tried to get both sides a fair deal.

Only the Elders wouldn't take it. They said the land might be 'sacred', that their beliefs (Right, most of them were Catholic) meant they could not rush through this. They refused the money offered and prepared for a legal battle.

Your boss was not happy. And then? one of the elders, the one who had put up the biggest fuss, died. It had to be natural causes, or at least, that's what you told yourself, but suspicion began to gnaw at you, and you had a hard time sleeping. The other elders folded, though against orders you still gave them a good deal. They thanked you for it, but even at your most hardened you couldn't fool yourself into thinking it compensated for the loss of a friend and peer.

It was over.

Then you decided to nose around anyway. You were no detective, but you were a wizard at paper trails, and increasingly signs came up that somethings just didn't match. You brought it to your boss' attention, and he promised he'd look into the irregularities. It felt like a weight had been taken off your shoulders, and you went home to sleep.

You woke up in the trunk of a car, bound and gagged. They (You had never seen these thugs before) were taking you out of the city to a place where you could be 'removed' quietly. They set you down, and you got ready for the shot to the head.

That's when everything seemed to slow down, the world got fuzzy. You'd never tried illegal drugs, but you were pretty sure this is what it would be like.

A Coyote trotted up next to you, eyed the gun men, the bullet that seemed to be firing and only moving a quarter inch every minute or so, then turned his expressive eyes on you, "If you don't mind me saying so, you seem to be in need of help"

At this point, you were sure you had already BEEN shot, and the head wound was causing hallucinations, "You think?" You replied testily.

"I also, am in need of help. I should say 'we' also. The Lord of Misfortune has planted his dark seed and seeks to move northward once more, as he did in the forgotten time. The spirits need a champion. Despite your hiding the best of your heart deep, it IS there. You might do. Interested?"

This, you knew, was nuts, but you replied gamely "What's the pay?"

Coyote yawned, "Power enough to save your life. In exchange, you shall fight for truth, justice, and possibly the American Indian Way. Agreed?"

"You're not even real!" You informed it.

Coyote shrugged, you didn't even realize coyotes COULD shrug, "I understand. You expect to get a better offer before the bullet hits." And the damn thing started to walk away.

"WAIT!" You cried out, "I accept!"

The Coyote tilted his head, "You know , some say, some were born of ravens, and since Raven lost the coin toss, we'll borrow mostly from him anyway. "

The world spun faster and faster, and when it stopped, the coyote was gone, and the bullet struck your head...and bounced.

You spread your wings, knocking one of the gun men aside, before grabbing the weapon of the other and bending it. Dropping them off to the police, a more intense investigation into your boss' actions soon resulted in an arrest and trial. You'd been given all the power you'd ever need to save yourself, and more.

You also now have giant raven wings, and are taller and stronger than you were before. Worse, there seems to be no way to change back. There's no 'secret ID' for you, and vaguely you recall that Coyotes, in almost any tribe's story, is a trickster.

Personality/Motivation: Your life has been turned upside down by this whole thing. You love being able to fly, and , clearly, being bullet proof is , from your own experience, a wonderful thing, but a superhero? Worse, everyone seems to be judging you as a "A Tribal Champion" . The elders think they can boss you around, PC nit wits whine about how they understand the plight of 'your' people, and Coyote has refused to undo it. Sometimes he appears when you want him to, but more often, he shows up, makes cryptic comments, and vanishes.

You've tried turning your back on it, but this isn't a situation where you put a few dollars in the Salvation Army's bucket and hope no one respectable noticed. You turn on the news, and some cops are being shot at. You fly towards your apartment, and see a mugging ...

NOW you can do something about it, so you kind of have to, other wise some innocent schmuck might get hurt.

In the mean time, you've lost your job, and while your savings are holding to keep you at middle class, you've discovered no financial institution wants to hire a winged superhero and known whistle blower and those savings can't last forever. Worse yet, the few times you've gotten temp work at actual finances, it's felt increasingly unsatisfying, at least to protecting the weak and all that jazz.

If Coyote was tangible, you'd kick him in the ass.

QUOTE: (To Coyote) "Your attitude is a walking advertisement for the rejection of all things spiritual, you know that?"

(To an innocent) "Here miss, here's your baby. She's safe."

Powers/Tactics: Frankly, you're new at this hero stuff, so your tactics have boiled down to a simple checklist.

1) Are there any innocents in the area?

2) If the answer is no, punch bad guy. If the answer is yes, get innocents to safety, THEN punch bad guy.

3) IF bad guy is tougher than you are, ask yourself if innocents will suffer if you run. If the answer is no, fly the heck out of there. If yes? Grumble and take the pain

Increasingly though you're starting to realize that flying gives you some edges over even other bricks. Pick em up and drop em doesn't work every time, but it does get their attention.

The 'gifts' (And you use the term loosely) you've been given include more than the wings, strength, and durability. On the rare times you have been blooded, it would seem that every dawn you heal up, at least a little. Your senses are VERY acute, particularly your vision. Unfortunately, one thing you see that you wish you didn't is spirits. Be they totemic (is that even a word?) or dead people, you sometimes get glimpses of them when they cross over or are nearby. Certain spiritual energies cling to the world either dripping like grease, or shining like star light.

Lastly, Coyote says you have certain protections of the heart and spirit, whatever that means. You do know that some punk mentalist decided to 'command you' and looked very surprised when you resisted. You were surprised too. Then you shoved his head into a wall.

He got better

Campaign Use : (May fill in later)

Appearance: Now standing at about six foot tall with dark eyes, black raven wings, and an amazonian style build, there really is no blending into a crowd, not easily anyway. Sometimes if you scrunch your wings REAL tight into a big enough coat, folks don't notice the 'lumpy shoulders'. But you can't keep that up forever, and you need shades to boot if you don't want your 'raven like eyes' betraying you.

Someone gave you a costume, it appears to be made of doeskin, has tassels and other stereotypical elements in the build. It's also durable, though darned if you can figure out how. You don't need a mask, so don't bother anymore. Your father, perhaps in an attempt to connect with you, gave you a lovely piece of neck wear with a raven symbol. You don't have the heart to not wear it.

Black Dragon

Background/History:It was not a loss, or tragedy that inspired you. No vow of dark vengeance motivates you. Your desire for justice is not a bitter one. Far from it, you knew early on that good could triumph over evil, and your inspiration was a joyous thing, at least at first.

You were an infant when it happened, but you swear you remember it. Evil faces sneering down at you as they took you from your home. Glimpses of violence, and then? Strong metal hands as a superhero saved you and took you safely home. When you were six, that same superhero would eventually die, not from a supervillain's hand, but rather a condition of his own super powers betraying him and poisoning his blood. Your father, a very wealthy man, would eventually found and fund a care facility for super powered individuals who common medicine could not assist in memory to that hero.

You? Even as a child, you realized the path YOU wanted to take to honor him. You would become a superhero yourself. Being rich is not without advantages, but instant superpowers is not one of them. So, for a start, you began to train extensively in Kung Fu. You didn't need to travel far for it, the local China town practitioners were happy to take your money, and if they ever realized you were using a phony name, they didn't mention it. You had hoped to broaden the scope of your studies, but the level of prowess you wanted was far more time consuming than you thought, especially since you were trying to keep it somewhat quiet. By the time you were twenty, you were a master at that art, but you weren't so foolish to think that would be enough.

Spenser Howe, PHD in engineering and design, came to your attention while you were at college. Like you, he had been saved by that same hero, and had never really had the chance to repay him. You took the older man into your confidence, and onto your private payroll. What started out as a mutual sense of gratitude and business arrangement combined soon turned to a deep friendship, with the tinker extraordinaire becoming your own private supplier of high tech gadgets and weaponry.

Eventually, you couldn't wait any more. If you waited until you were 'perfect' you'd never go out, and people were hurting now. Children were being kidnapped now. And evil men were doing bad things to good people...right now. Now was the time.

You dubbed yourself “Black Dragon” since you'd always been fond of the mythic creatures. In retrospect, you could have chosen more carefully. Turns out some Tongs in China town didn't care much for an upstart white boy in fluttering cloak and with gadgets aplenty borrowing what they thought was a title he didn't have a right to. He wasn't alone. Green Dragon, a martial artist supervillain REALLY found you offensive, particularly when you managed to beat him in your first encounter.

You're pretty sure it won't be the last. Like it or not, the Black Dragon has made the scene, and you have a debt to repay and a calling to answer.

Personality/Motivation: For as long as you could remember, you've wanted to be a superhero. Perhaps it first started out of gratitude, or even a sense of obligation to the man who saved you and those like him, but as time has moved on, it has truly become your calling as well. It isn't just what you owe his memory, or the people of the city, it's also what you owe yourself. Striving to be a hero has made you a better man.

Because of this, you try to honor the 'code' you've seen many heroes adopt. You value life, you protect the innocent, and you try to bring justice down on the criminals who prey on the public. You haven't told your father. He wouldn't approve of you risking your life like this, and there's no reason to alarm him. Instead, you wear a different mask when out of costume, the one of the dilettante. You chase pretty girls, go to all the best places, and avoid responsibility.

To a large degree, this has worked TOO well. You sometimes catch disappointment in your father's eyes when you meet his gaze. He has hinted that he would be happy to give you a place in his company. Sadly, there's a lot about making a living you don't know. In your efforts to prepare yourself to be a superhero, you realize now you've neglected a lot of day to day life skills in paying the bills.

Good thing you're rich, of you'd probably be flipping burgers as your post graduate job, well, at least until you figured out how to use some of your other knacks in the public sector that wouldn't betray your superheroic calling.

QUOTE: (As Black Dragon) "These are going to prison, YOU may go. Tell your master that any further attempts to expand his heroin trade will bring me closer to his home, and he will feel the heat of the Dragon's breath."

(As Duncan) "Uh, gee dad. I'd like to sit in on the meeting, but I promised Candy...or was it Cindy? either way, I promised her I'd give her a ride on the yacht. Later!"

Powers/Tactics: You are first and foremost a master of kung fu. You worked hard for those skills, and take some pride in them. Your 'Dragon's Breath' Wrist bracers, however, are better than a utility belt, with multiple options to help take down foes that seem resistant to fisticuffs. Smoke pellets that your night vision lenses are shielded against, knock out gas (and you carry a breathing mask in case you need to walk into it) both allow you to rough up the fight scene. The Taser shot is non lethal but effective. And the gel? Well, you thought about calling it 'dragon spit' but that just seemed a bad idea the more you considered it. The important thing is, it works.

You're still not sure how Spenser fit all that ammo in the things, but you aren't about to complain. They DO eventually run out though, so when it doubt, punch them out.

Appearance: As the Black Dragon, you wear a protective costume of 'dark scale' design, complete with cowled half mask and fluttering cloak that 'splits' to give it a more wing like appearance. Ornate golden hued bracers adorn each wrist, and their high tech nature is pretty much obvious as soon as you use them. There is a dragon design (western style) etched across the expanse of the costume's torso.

Out of costume, you dress the part of the spoiled rich boy you're trying to pass yourself off as, which given the money, isn't hard at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37213[/ATTACH]

Windfall

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37214[/ATTACH]

Background/History:When you get told you're trash often enough, you start to believe it. Your mother died in child birth, a rare complication that nevertheless does still happen from time to time. With no family, you were given to the state, but the facility in question wasn't particularly well run, and all too soon you found yourself with in abusive foster care. You were told your mother was some sort of prostitute and you'd end up being the same, or worse. Eventually, you fled, but not before you'd started to believe them.

As a runaway, you grew to know just how ugly the streets could be. You were a pretty girl, maybe too pretty, and only some inner defiance kept you from becoming the whore your foster parents had sworn your mother was. Small time theft was more your style. You faced racism a plenty, you were a little 'too white' for many Latinos, and a too Latina for some whites, and took hell from the bigots in both groups.

Finally, it happened, a pimp caught you in an alley and decided to put your then 14 year old body to work. There was a woosh, a stream of wind, and the pimp was blown back into the wall. You ran, winds running wild all around you. The city police department was sure they had a new super villain on their hands. Instead, they eventually managed to tranquilize you, and found they had a terrified girl who didn't trust anything, and anybody. Child services worked it's magic properly this time, and you learned things.

Your mother was not a prostitute. She was a good woman named Marlina Augusta, and you? You were the product of a casual romance with a superhero. Marlina didn't want to seem like some gold digger or superhero groupie, and died in child birth before she could make the choice to tell him whether or not he had a daughter. That superhero once had powers like yours before an accident robbed him of those abilities. If that wasn't enough to make parentage likely, a DNA test later confirmed it.

And your "dad" came in. You were ready for rejection, but instead found a man who could not apologize enough for not being there when he should have, and who swore he'd make it up to you. It was not too long until you were calling him father and meaning it. As the years passed, you found that even nice guys found you pretty, and you had a real love and talent for cooking.

And your powers? After that initial burst, they seemed to simmer down, and had to be coaxed out slowly. Your Juvenile records were sealed, so most folks would never know of them. You could tell father wanted you to take up the mantle, but to his credit, he never pushed. Then, one day, there was trouble on the radio. One of your father's old enemies was still causing trouble after all these years, and the frustration at being helpless to go after him from your dad was tangible.

Piecing together bits of costume from the storage room, you slipped out and fought your first super battle. You suppose you should have taken your father's old name, but the man used it for his restaurant, and that way lay a life time of commercial jingles so forget that. Still, he had given you everything, and in recognition of that, you called yourself Windfall.

Personality/Motivation: If you've got it, flaunt it, a wise man once said, and you've discovered you like showing off. Early years of belittlement and abuse had you thinking you were filth, so now that you know better, you can't help but enjoy strutting your stuff. Of course, when you're cooking, you want folks to cheer the food on their plate, not your wind powers. That's one of the reasons you've kept your dual Identity a secret from almost everyone but your father. You like to compartmentalize your vanity.

It's not all shallowness though. Your father has tried to ingrain in you the same great respect for life that he has. That, plus the memories of how little life was valued while you were a runaway by some, has made the idea of ever taking a life yourself repugnant to you.

Both these traits are part of what make you want to be a superhero... just like your dad.

QUOTE: (As Marie) "Prepare yourselves, I have invented the Atomic Chalupa!"

(as Windfall) "Hola, coma e kick your ass?"

Powers/Tactics: What can't you do with the wind, really? With dad's advice, you've learned some truly tremendous wind working. You can create mini twisters, put out fires, shoot solid objects at wind tunnel velocities, and , of course, knock pimps across an alley. Better yet, it can keep you alive, deflecting the worst of of most attacks others throw at you, and even allowing you to protect others if you're quick enough. Given how you can feel the winds around you like a guide, it's pretty darn hard to catch you off guard sometimes.

And, of course, nothing beats flying. You may not be the fastest and most agile thing in the sky, but once you take out aircraft, you're certainly in the running.

Your tactics are a bit weak currently, but that will come with time. Your dad swears.

While you are currently unaware of it, the biggest danger to you would be something, anything, that robbed you of your wind powers. They're TIGHTLY intertwined, and to lose one power would probably shock you so much the others would just shut down.

Appearance: While he'd been flattered at the choice of colors even if you did turn them around (You went with Sky Blue with white high lights rather than mostly white like his old costume) , dad seemed less thrilled with his girl wearing an outfit that showed off quite that much cleavage. What keeps things tucked in? A lot of luck and forty mph micro winds positioned at just the right place. Well, it isn't THAT bad, not really, but you do show more skin as Windfall than you ever would (Outside of a beach maybe) as Maria. White boots, white gloves, some white accents and lines on the otherwise blue costume, and a white mask with gauze over the eyes that ties in the back looks pretty good on you.

A bit late. I'll load the others tomorrow. As you can see, Raven doesn't know it, but her coyote given purpose is to guard against the rising of Tezcatlipoca. Who in ancient times that man's history lost or never knew (IE, I'm making this up) was countered by the totemic powers and spirits in the lands far north of the great empire. She (or He, if changed around) is a decent person in spite of herself and being a superhero will let her grow to realize that, at least that's the direction I'd hint at. Any player could stir and mix as they liked to that.

Black Dragon is the infant (now all grown up) who was saved by Alloy. He's not a grim avenging type, even if his resources and costume might be similar to Mister Wayne and others. Since Lotus isn't likely to be in my setting, someone needs to slow the Tongs down and tick them off a bit. His father could just as easily know about it, but a little soap opera is good for the soul so I went with not.

Windfall would be (in an SA setting) the illegitimate daughter of Twister. How long she can hide her secret ID given she'd be the second hero with wind powers in the city's history is hard to say. If a player takes it, he/she may choose to go public instead.

Black Dragon

Background/History:It was not a loss, or tragedy that inspired you. No vow of dark vengeance motivates you. Your desire for justice is not a bitter one. Far from it, you knew early on that good could triumph over evil, and your inspiration was a joyous thing, at least at first.

You were an infant when it happened, but you swear you remember it. Evil faces sneering down at you as they took you from your home. Glimpses of violence, and then? Strong metal hands as a superhero saved you and took you safely home. When you were six, that same superhero would eventually die, not from a supervillain's hand, but rather a condition of his own super powers betraying him and poisoning his blood. Your father, a very wealthy man, would eventually found and fund a care facility for super powered individuals who common medicine could not assist in memory to that hero.

You? Even as a child, you realized the path YOU wanted to take to honor him. You would become a superhero yourself. Being rich is not without advantages, but instant superpowers is not one of them. So, for a start, you began to train extensively in Kung Fu. You didn't need to travel far for it, the local China town practitioners were happy to take your money, and if they ever realized you were using a phony name, they didn't mention it. You had hoped to broaden the scope of your studies, but the level of prowess you wanted was far more time consuming than you thought, especially since you were trying to keep it somewhat quiet. By the time you were twenty, you were a master at that art, but you weren't so foolish to think that would be enough.

Spenser Howe, PHD in engineering and design, came to your attention while you were at college. Like you, he had been saved by that same hero, and had never really had the chance to repay him. You took the older man into your confidence, and onto your private payroll. What started out as a mutual sense of gratitude and business arrangement combined soon turned to a deep friendship, with the tinker extraordinaire becoming your own private supplier of high tech gadgets and weaponry.

Eventually, you couldn't wait any more. If you waited until you were 'perfect' you'd never go out, and people were hurting now. Children were being kidnapped now. And evil men were doing bad things to good people...right now. Now was the time.

You dubbed yourself “Black Dragon” since you'd always been fond of the mythic creatures. In retrospect, you could have chosen more carefully. Turns out some Tongs in China town didn't care much for an upstart white boy in fluttering cloak and with gadgets aplenty borrowing what they thought was a title he didn't have a right to. He wasn't alone. Green Dragon, a martial artist supervillain REALLY found you offensive, particularly when you managed to beat him in your first encounter.

You're pretty sure it won't be the last. Like it or not, the Black Dragon has made the scene, and you have a debt to repay and a calling to answer.

Personality/Motivation: For as long as you could remember, you've wanted to be a superhero. Perhaps it first started out of gratitude, or even a sense of obligation to the man who saved you and those like him, but as time has moved on, it has truly become your calling as well. It isn't just what you owe his memory, or the people of the city, it's also what you owe yourself. Striving to be a hero has made you a better man.

Because of this, you try to honor the 'code' you've seen many heroes adopt. You value life, you protect the innocent, and you try to bring justice down on the criminals who prey on the public. You haven't told your father. He wouldn't approve of you risking your life like this, and there's no reason to alarm him. Instead, you wear a different mask when out of costume, the one of the dilettante. You chase pretty girls, go to all the best places, and avoid responsibility.

To a large degree, this has worked TOO well. You sometimes catch disappointment in your father's eyes when you meet his gaze. He has hinted that he would be happy to give you a place in his company. Sadly, there's a lot about making a living you don't know. In your efforts to prepare yourself to be a superhero, you realize now you've neglected a lot of day to day life skills in paying the bills.

Good thing you're rich, of you'd probably be flipping burgers as your post graduate job, well, at least until you figured out how to use some of your other knacks in the public sector that wouldn't betray your superheroic calling.

QUOTE: (As Black Dragon) "These are going to prison, YOU may go. Tell your master that any further attempts to expand his heroin trade will bring me closer to his home, and he will feel the heat of the Dragon's breath."

(As Duncan) "Uh, gee dad. I'd like to sit in on the meeting, but I promised Candy...or was it Cindy? either way, I promised her I'd give her a ride on the yacht. Later!"

Powers/Tactics: You are first and foremost a master of kung fu. You worked hard for those skills, and take some pride in them. Your 'Dragon's Breath' Wrist bracers, however, are better than a utility belt, with multiple options to help take down foes that seem resistant to fisticuffs. Smoke pellets that your night vision lenses are shielded against, knock out gas (and you carry a breathing mask in case you need to walk into it) both allow you to rough up the fight scene. The Taser shot is non lethal but effective. And the gel? Well, you thought about calling it 'dragon spit' but that just seemed a bad idea the more you considered it. The important thing is, it works.

You're still not sure how Spenser fit all that ammo in the things, but you aren't about to complain. They DO eventually run out though, so when it doubt, punch them out.

Appearance: As the Black Dragon, you wear a protective costume of 'dark scale' design, complete with cowled half mask and fluttering cloak that 'splits' to give it a more wing like appearance. Ornate golden hued bracers adorn each wrist, and their high tech nature is pretty much obvious as soon as you use them. There is a dragon design (western style) etched across the expanse of the costume's torso.

Out of costume, you dress the part of the spoiled rich boy you're trying to pass yourself off as, which given the money, isn't hard at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37213[/ATTACH]

well done

well done

Thank you.

I like Raven and Windfall' date=' and would play either character -- though both have me thinking of Gale for some reason... ;)[/quote']

Well, one has wings, the other wind powers... put em together and yeah. Of course, they are hardly occult experts. Raven in particular could use a bit more knowledge about the mystic world as she's now part of it, but I figured that was part of the fun. :) Any player taking her(him) would be able to use the extra left over points for some easy knowledge skills if they wanted.

"Tag Team" Tanner

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37217[/ATTACH]

Background/History:"Larry, can I be the good guy again?" It had been nearly a month since your obligatory 'heel' turn towards being the villain wrestler, and frankly, you didn't much care for it. You liked it when the kids looked up to you, and worse, you worried that if some still looked up to you when you were 'the bad guy' they might want to be bad too.

"Tristan," Your boss said sympathetically, "You know everyone goes through this, and it isn't always over quickly. Relax, try to enjoy it... you like the women they had dripping on you as you entered the ring today, right?"

You sighed, "Yes, Larry, I'm Hetero. That's not the point here. What if some kid sees me and decides that it's okay to use Nuke Slams for evil as well as good?"

Larry face palmed, "You did NOT just say that, did you?"

Blushing, you answered, "Yeah. C'mon man, you know what I mean. I'm a role model."

"No, you're an athlete and actor," He countered, "I'll see what I can do to bump the plot line up a bit, that's the best I can promise for now. OK?"

"Appreciate it, Larry," And you meant it.

After that, you went for a walk. You guess your head wasn't quite with you, because you glanced up from the pavement and found yourself in one of the uglier parts of the city, a deserted and decaying industrial area. Nosing around, you heard some strange noises from some sort of building. Thinking 'what the hell?' you took a peek.

Man, that was a mistake. Guys who run meth-labs do NOT like trespassers. You managed to put the crush on one, but when the bullets started flying, you ran like hell. Your cellphone was out of juice, you were totally lost, and the gun men were keeping up pursuit. Ripping off boards from a condemned warehouse, you entered in hoping to find a place to hide. You barely had time to weave behind the steel drums with the funny 'uh oh' symbols all over em when BLAM... a bullet punctured one, and BLAM, another bullet sparked.

To make a long story short, there was explosion. An hour later, you found yourself moving out of the wreckage (Which seemed surprisingly light), and managed to get home. You needed a shower.

Problem was, some one else was using it. You! To say you were besides yourself with surprise would be putting it literally. As you approached, your thoughts and his (yours?) began to bounce between you, but you each knew the other was genuine.

That was the start of your new career. Your super strength disqualified you from regular wrestling, but Larry helped set you up as a public superhero. No longer would you be "Terrible Tanner" or even "Tanner Terrific" Now you were "Tag Team" Tanner. The crowds love you, especially the kids, and you DEFINITELY get to be the good guy.

Personality/Motivation: Damn but you love being a hero. You're setting a great example, or at least you try, and you're doing a lot of good. It isn't all altruistic, mind you. The superhero world is dripping with gorgeous women, and while you're not well off per se, your fame as a superhero keeps you in a comfortable living. You also get to fight for real, and show the world your talent is certainly anything but fake.

QUOTE: "Hey you! let go of the kid or I swear I'll shove your head so far up your rear end you'll be licking your spine"

Powers/Tactics: Someone informed you that, if not for your ability to duplicate, you would only be a 'pocket brick' whatever the hell that is. You're strong, but in the super biz, there are plenty stronger. Fortunately, your moves work fine even out of the ring, and that balances things out somewhat. You know how to talk trash with the best of them, and anything that causes a foe to pause gives you that much a better chance of winning...but you try not to use profanity where the kids can hear it.

Your real advantage is your other self, who is so you, it's scary, and he says the same about you by the way. Between the crazy link between your brains, and years of practice in tag team wrestling you both share, you're really good at coordinating. You hold one guy, he hits him, or vice-versa, that sort of thing. It takes you little time to 'get it together' and about the only problem you're running into is catching up with some of the bad guys when they run.

Though, to be far, that speedster sure was surprised when you threw yourself at him...heh.

Appearance: You never took steroids, though you suppose you can't blame anyone for thinking so. Not only does it happen in your old profession, you are also just plain ripped! Your rugged looks, raw height and super musculature make a lot of men nervous, and a lot of women want to take up mountain climbing. You keep your facial hair in a neatly trimmed goatee, and the rest of your hair pretty long. Yes, Hair pullers piss you off, but you really don't want a crew cut.

Your 'work clothes' or costume varies, but a lot of times when a fight starts you end up in your dark purple with gold trim trunks. You and your twin have both had skin art done, with elaborate 'T' designs on each shoulder and upper arm.