here.

I'm trying to create a power that teleports me to a spot within 20 meters,

and then causes a flash of light to affect all those around me. I was wondering

if this calculation looked correct, to give me an idea of what im doing right

and wrong when making powers.

I Calculated it at 20 pts for the 20 meters teleport, 5 points for Position

Shifter Adder, 25 pts for 5d6 Flash Damage, and Limitation = -1 Area of

Effect(Explosion). So I got 25 Char Points cost for the teleport effect, and

then 12 pts added to that for the Area of Effect Flash damage.

-Xalops

Re: New to Hero System

You have the base points figured out correctly

20" teleport = 20 points + 5 Position Shift = 25 points

5d6 Sight Group Flash = 25 Points

Total 25+25=50 Points

Where you went wrong is that Advantages. Advantages cost more than the base points.

So for your Sight Group Flash to have an AoE Explosion you have to buy the Explosion large enough to bleed off 1 Damage Classes per two meters until it reaches 0 In this case 10m (5 DC at 0-2m, 4 DC at 3-4, 3 DC 5-6m, 2 DC at 7-8, 1 DC at 9-10m, 0 > 10m). Area of Effect Radius 10m is a +3/4 Advantage. The Explosion part of the advantage reduces the AoE by -1/2 for a final of +1/4. Then you multiply 25 x (1+ .25= 1.25) for 31.25 points. Round down to 31 points. So your final cost is 56 Points.

EDIT: And where are my manners! Welcome to the HERO Boards.

Your calculation on the teleport is good. However, the area of effect explosion on flash is a +1/2 advantage not a -1 limitation. So the flash is 37 active points. If the character has personal immunity to his own flash that is another +1/4 advantage which would bring flash up to 44 active points. The personal immunity not strictly necessary since the character could just always close his eyes. Since the flash emits straight from the character it gets the no range limitation for -1/2. Can the character use the powers separately? If the character can't use one or both of the powers without the other, he can get the linked limitation (pg 383-385 the Character Creation book).

Thanks for the reply. Based on the two posts above, with nol's concept would it still qualify for the no range limitation, thus dropping the overall adjustment to -1/4? Oh and do you apply the limitation and advantage scores to the full power or just the parts of the power they apply to? And another question: is there somewhere that has a table of all advantages and limitations and their cost/benefit?

Thanks for the reply. Based on the two posts above' date=' with nol's concept would it still qualify for the no range limitation, thus dropping the overall adjustment to -1/4?[/quote']

You don't combine the advantage and limitation numbers together. You first apply the advantage cost modifier, then you reduce that total by the limitation cost modifier.

Oh and do you apply the limitation and advantage scores to the full power or just the parts of the power they apply to?

Just the powers they apply to.

And another question: is there somewhere that has a table of all advantages and limitations and their cost/benefit?

Not that I'm aware of.

Your writeup would look something like this:

[i]Flashy Teleport:[/i]  (Total: 56 Active Cost, 43 Real Cost) Teleportation 20m, Position Shift 
(Real Cost: 25) [b]plus[/b] Sight Group Flash 5d6, Area Of Effect (10m Radius Explosion; +1/4) 
(31 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Linked (Teleportation; -1/4) (Real Cost: 18)

If you're using Hero Designer, this is done through a Compound Power. If you're not using the software, you can just write it like this or on two separate lines; Compound Power isn't strictly a HERO System construct, but a shorthand the software uses to make things easier. This is broken down as follows:

Teleportation: 20m (20 points), Position Shift (+5 points), Real Cost: 25 points

Flash: Sight Group Flash 5d6 (25 points).

Advantages: Area Of Effect (10m Radius Explosion; +1/4). Active Cost = 25 (base cost) * 1 + 1/4 (Advantage) = 31.25 which rounds to 31 Active Points.

Limitations: Linked (Teleportation; -1/4). Real Cost = 31 / 1 + 1/4 + 1/2 (Limitation values) = 17.7 something which rounds to 18 Real Points.

In all, the power is 56 Active Points and 43 Real Points (which is the amount you actually spend). The total Endurance cost to use the power is 5 (2 for the Teleport portion and 3 for the Flash).

Thanks for the reply. Based on the two posts above' date=' with nol's concept would it still qualify for the no range limitation, thus dropping the overall adjustment to -1/4? Oh and do you apply the limitation and advantage scores to the full power or just the parts of the power they apply to? And another question: is there somewhere that has a table of all advantages and limitations and their cost/benefit?[/quote']Adding No Range to the Flash would reduce the Real Cost from 31 to 21 points, making it a 46 Total Cost.

5d6 Sight Group Flash 25 ( AoE 10" Explosion (+1/4) (31 Active Points), No Range (-1/2) (31/1.5 =20.6666666666667 rounded up to 21) 21 Real Cost.

Note that this would mean your character is affected unless Personal Immunity was purchased with the power.

The would change the costs as follows: 5d6 Sight Group Flash (AoE 10" Explosion) (+1/4), Personal Immunity (+ 1/4) (25 x 1.5 = 37.5) rounded to 37 Active Points), No Range (-1/2) (37/1.5=24.6666666666667) rounded to 25 Real Cost

I personally think where your confusion comes from is that within a single Power Advantage (or Limitation) there are modifiers to the value of that Advantage. The obvious example is the one for Explosion on the Area of Effect. A 10m Area of Effect is typically a +3/4 Advantage. By adding the Explosion on it, you make the power less effective, therefore it gets reduced to +1/4. No matter what though, unless the text specifically states that the Advantage can be a Limitation (or vice versa) those modifiers can only reduce the Advantage to +0 (or the Limitation to -0). In the context of the whole build it works like this:

Base Points x (1+ Total Advantages) = Active Points / (1 + Total Limitation ) = Real Cost. The values at the Active Cost and Real Cost steps are typically rounded. And this leads to my next piece of advice. Get HERO Designer. It does all that math stuff for you so you can worry about concept. The most useful crutch I've ever found.

shouldn't this thread be in general roleplaying since teleportaition is'nt really used in a pulp hero game aside from a flashngordon type pulp campaign

Actually, it should be in HERO System Discussion, but hey, it's the guy's first post.

It may also be possible to make the Flash a "Side Effects" Limitation on the Teleport.

I say this because

1. It can catch your friends as well as your enemies

2. It makes it impossible to be subtle. Even people well outside the effect will see the bright light. Also, if the bad guys happen to be looking the other way, they won't get Flashed - but they probably WILL notice that a bright light just went off behind them.

All this is assuming the "special effects" are the classic "blind people with a dazzling light" type.

However, since it can be useful, perhaps it is only a -0 Limitation; doesn't make the Teleport cheaper, but does define the effect it has.

If whoever is running the game still thinks it's more helpful than hindering, consider saying that the character has to make a DEX roll to avoid being blinded himself. Or give the effect an audible sound, too, so that even someone who doesn't see the flash will still know something just happened.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks it's a bright idea

Your writeup would look something like this:

[i]Flashy Teleport:[/i]  (Total: 56 Active Cost, 43 Real Cost) Teleportation 20m, Position Shift 
(Real Cost: 25) [b]plus[/b] Sight Group Flash 5d6, Area Of Effect (10m Radius Explosion; +1/4) 
(31 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Linked (Teleportation; -1/4) (Real Cost: 18)

If you're using Hero Designer, this is done through a Compound Power. If you're not using the software, you can just write it like this or on two separate lines; Compound Power isn't strictly a HERO System construct, but a shorthand the software uses to make things easier. This is broken down as follows:

Teleportation: 20m (20 points), Position Shift (+5 points), Real Cost: 25 points

Flash: Sight Group Flash 5d6 (25 points).

Advantages: Area Of Effect (10m Radius Explosion; +1/4). Active Cost = 25 (base cost) * 1 + 1/4 (Advantage) = 31.25 which rounds to 31 Active Points.

Limitations: Linked (Teleportation; -1/4). Real Cost = 31 / 1 + 1/4 + 1/2 (Limitation values) = 17.7 something which rounds to 18 Real Points.

In all, the power is 56 Active Points and 43 Real Points (which is the amount you actually spend). The total Endurance cost to use the power is 5 (2 for the Teleport portion and 3 for the Flash).

If the neither power can be used independently of the other they can both receive the the linked limitation with GM permission (6E1 pg. 383).