Convention Help

Doomslayer2007

Okay folks, I decided to take the plunge and run a hero system adventure at a convention. Given this is my first adventure in many years, I'm looking for a little feedback/help so I don't bomb at this when I run it. The slot is 4 hours and I need to make sure the adventure takes about 3 hours. It's time travel semi-superhero based.

My primary concerns are keeping it in the 3-4 hour time limit:p.

Having contingencies prepared for. I'm never quite sure what the players pull out of their collective hats.

And above all keeping it fun for all even if a troll shows up.

I won't be posting all my ideas publicly since if a player reads it here that could ruin the adventure. So I'd like to do any brainstorming somewhat privately.:think:

Doomslayer

Re: Convention Help

First, my hat is off to you. I've never gotten up the gumption to try this. You're a braver man than I.

Caveat: As noted, I have never run a convention game, but I've played in some. So here are some general suggestions.

You don't mention whether the players will bring their own characters or whether you'll have pregens for them to play. I strongly suggest using pregens, as you can balance them against each other as well as against the foes they'll face. Plus, you'll know what they can do and be ready for the more obvious things the players may try. Also, you don't have to spend a chunk of time approving and/or altering characters the players might bring.

If you have some players that are experienced with HERO and others that aren't, see if you can get the former to help the latter whenever possible.

Don't get hung up on details in combat. Does it really matter what the VIPER air-cav agent's turn mode is while flying? Or exactly how many meters apart two characters are?

On a semi-related note, don't let a large number of characters slow things to a crawl. If you have a dozen agents firing at the heroes, do you really need to roll 12 attack rolls? Group them and try to do things with one or two rolls. ("Squad A fires at Megaman (roll as if an autofire) and two shots hit. Squad B blasts at Mindmaiden (roll as if an autofire) and only one hits.")

Finally, let all the player characters have time to shine in the spotlight. Some players will try to dominate a game; include bits in the plot for each character so even the shy players can have their moments.

I've been finding with experience players, one average combat =~ 2 hours discounting role-playing build up and other stuff. In 4 hours, depending on the amount of role playing you can probably plan 1 -2 combats (2 if one of the combats is simpler).

Dont try to run a mystery. mysteries are great for extended campaigns. They aren't good for one shots.

CES

Amen to that. Having just finished running one at a Con, I can say with confidence that the intricate attention to detail and background information required for a mystery is difficult to build up during a four hour game. On the other hand, don't make a combat fest either. The HERO system is fairly confusing to new players, and the combat rules is the meat of the system.

On a more constructive note, here are a few ideas I considered to make HERO system easier for people who have never tried it:

1. Make OCV a skill. Say just about every NPC in the scenario have the same DCV. Why not list the Players' chance to hit that DCV in the style of skills rather than a far more cryptic OCV score. The OCV thing is the single most confusing thing for new players trying HERO system (with normal Body making a close second place). So how do you include high DCV opponents in such a setup? Apply a penalty to the roll, either upfront or by asking them to tell you how much they succeed by. Same with bonuses against low DCV opponents. You'll have to keep track of such things as halved DCV and modifiers yourself, which is the main reason I don't do this.
  2. Merge PD and ED. Saves some time during combat, and leaves the players with one less number to remember.
  3. Stick to either all Killing Attacks or all Normal Damage attacks. Keeping track of which is which is a bit of a pain to new players, so not having to can shave vital minutes of those combat rounds.
  4. Write out any complex builds in simple language. Pretty self explanatory. For example: In the game I ran today I had a player with astral projection (a group of 5 related powers to model the effect: your consciousness goes out exploring). Questions about it took several minutes of the game time, and disrupted the game's pace during a chase scene.
  5. Stick to a limited pallett of powers. Blast doesn't take that much to understand. Mind Control, Transform, and AVAD attacks takes longer to make sense off. Again from today: Another character had all the typical mentalist powers; he only ever used Telepathy, Mind Control and Mind Link, and needed a careful explanation of how each one works. With a limited variation in power mechanics, players can learn from each other's questions, and better yet, help each other understand, giving you free time to do the story stuff.
  6. Have a finished SPEED Chart. A bit obvious, but worth mentioning (especially as I didn't).
  7. Don't stay awake for the last thirty hours before running the game, chugging coffee during it, so you find yourself giving halfway useful advice on an internet forum when you should be sleeping to get ready for the next game you're running.

Good night.

If you can, playtest it with a few friends first just to get a general feel for timing. It's also a good way to spot balance issues.

I usually prepare more scenes than I need, and have a mental flowchart of the absolutely necessary plot points. If the players are barreling through my plot like a runaway train, then I have things to keep the pacing right. If they drag through everything, then I can streamline down. It also means that if I can tell what type of thing that particular set of players enjoy, then I can pick from the optional stuff that seems like a good match.

Here's a link to a necromantic thread where I was working on some convention pre-gens and some thoughts about why they are the way they are: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/34669-A-Blast-From-The-Past-old-4th-ed-pregens

(I really need to finish tweaking those for 6th ed...)

As a convention veteran I can tell you this:

Don't talk too much.

Players are there to play, not listen to your latest awesome narrative. Make a simple plot branch that gives them choices but arrives at the same climax. This requires a fine balance, so don't build the adventure assuming you are going to railroad players.

Expect to lose about 1/2 an hour to orientation, character review, setup, and what not. Give them the agenda up front: background, any rules notes, especially if you are ignoring things like turn mods, counting END, using cards to track initiative, whatever - get all this out of the way before you hand out characters.

Have character summaries without stats - often players unfamiliar with the system will join your game and they will need to select characters. This also streamlines munchkins during character selection by forcing them to pick a character or a type. That said, be true to your descriptions - make sure to describe combat and non-combat talents alike. If a character is no good in a fight - make that clear. Some people like that and others don't.

Once characters are selected, give out the character sheets. At this point you should know who knows Hero and who doesn't. There are some Hero Two-page references (official and unofficial) - have those ready. Regardless, provide a quick orientation to Hero (3d6, roll low, target numbers are listed XX-).

Don't explain combat - yet.

Then go around to the players that don't know Hero and highlight their key abilities and how they are used. Make sure they are comfortable.

Start at the 1/2 hour mark.

If possible, open with a quick/easy combat. Something appropriate for the story - give everyone something to do. Don't let it go more than 1/2 hr or so. The idea is to use this as a training round and set up the story. It also opens your event with some action which is fun, and gives people a taste. Let them shine and encourage crazy stuff - if the crazy stuff fails, explain to them what would have happened or simply go with it.

Don't over stat your bad-guys. While it definitely can be fun to have fully detailed write-ups of your stuff it can also be very distracting. If you are sifting through a pile of paper while everyone waits on you - that is not fun.

I look at my encounters (and I usually do 3-4 combats at a convention) - and identify what the critical effects are... what makes those encounters interesting. I make sure that power/challenge is well defined. Beyond that, I pretty much go with the flow.

Sure I know that my orcs are wearing leather armor and cause 1 1/2d6 damage, but do I need to know whether their CON is 12 or 15 or 17...? Not really - if I character scores a dramatic hit at the right time and the orc should be stunned with 13 STUN damage, well then his CON is 12. I write that note down (so that I am then consistent) but then keep moving.

Let the players define the story. If the players come up with a good reason why your story is the way it is, and that reason is the exact opposite of yours, well then in all likelihood you are wrong, not them. I'm not saying that is always true, but I hope you see the point - players will get a rush out of solving the puzzle and beating the bad guy and having some dude, possibly you, sitting across the table all smug about how dumb they are is not fun.

I work from a good outline of key encounters and notable individuals. I have a list of essential challenges and powers/effects. I know what the endgame is and how someone might get there. But in the end I'm there to have fun to and nothing is more fun than seeing a bunch of people at your table hootin' and hollerin' or seriously stressed out by the challenges they face, and then walking away from the table with smiles on their faces.

That's the best. Take them to the edge, shove them off, dangle them over the abyss, and make sure they see every opportunity to crawl back on their own for the win.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, for all the advice. Sorry, I've been away for a while. But I've had a few distractions - Work, Emergency Room, & and Paying medical bills.

Now, here's what I've come up with so far without giving it all away. The adventure centers around time-travel.(This can be a headache in itself). The PCs were recruited by the Fortress Tempora Consortium.

The main Characters(PCs):

1)Major Fate - A veteran explorer and leader of the group. He is familiar with all the unusual equipment issued by the Fortress and has the most high-tech stuff. He also seems to have uncanny luck at surviving. As his CO mentioned: "He seems to be touched by the force of destiny."

2) The Demilord(twice removed) - Basically, the grandson of a God. Parents were a demigod and mortal hero. He has a few special abilities and is supernaturally resilient and a supernaturally long lifespan. Though arrogant about his self-importance he has agreed to work with lessor mortals and allied himself with the time-soldiers of Fortress Tempora. He didn't have anywhere else to go when his world was destroyed by the BAD-GUYS.(Recent temporal Recruit).

3) The Mutant Refugee - This person comes from the ancient time-line where the Master villian BAD-GUYS reside. Until recently she live on an dyson sphere where the environment is basically arctic. She has a affinity for technology(Cyberkinesis). Looking for to escape the subsistence level of existence on the Dyson Sphere. (Recent Temporal Recruit)

4) The Cyborg Librarian - Resident/Construct of Fortress Tempora - Lots of Knowledge skills and concealed tools/weapons.

5) The Psychic - Senses temporal disruptions. Originally from the Terran Empire. Was sold into bondage and used by a minion of the BAD GUY to guide the Terran Battle Ship to Fortress Tempora. Is really sorry about the trouble he helped to caused and wants to help to make it right. Just entering puberty. (Recent Temporal Recruit)

6) The Eugenic Monk - Companion and protector of the Mutant Refugee, Disillusioned with the subsistence level of existence on the Dyson Sphere and is looking for a better life for her people. (Recent Temporal Recruit).

The BAD GUYs are called Deslarites. Entities of the same caliber as the Kings of Edom. Their timeline/Universe of orgin is ANCIENT. They are beings of Death and Decay. The are NOT mystical but rather cosmological, like Galactus in nature. But, where Galactus is basically a nice person the Deslarites are NOT.

The Deslarites cannot escape their own timeline without help. Their Universe doesn't have the necessary concentration of vital energies anymore. But they can send Epiphany shards to our timelines where those energies still exist.

The Epiphany Shards are psychic conduits through which their vast knowledge and a small portion of a Deslarites power can be transmitted.

The bearer of an Epiphany Shard is called a Proxy, the willing minion of the Deslarite.

Typically, the Proxy is ignorant as to the true nature of both the Epiphany Shard and the associated Deslarite. The Proxy is carefully manipulated by the Deslarite into building a Trans-time gate that will allow the Deslarite access to our Cosm and it's timelines.

Fortress Tempora (Why it exists): Thoughout the various timelines, their are locations where events are essentially identical. At these points in time, different timelines can converge creating a transitory point. When enough of these points and their respective events connect, it creates a transitory timeline. Fortress Tempora was constructed on such a transitory timeline. This has the effect of essentially insulating it from changes to any one particular timeline. Thus, you have a place form which, the where and when of temporal incursions can be intercepted, investigated, and, if necessary, corrected.