Character Concept: Redirecting and amplifying teammate's attacks

Gemphyre

To start off with, I only have 5th edition rules. Budget problems and gamer poor area. Please limit your suggestions to that edition.

Here is the concept of a character that I had yesterday. The guy(gal) is basically a living particle accelerator/rail gun. For his personal attacks, a multipower where he magnetically accelerates steel balls, spikes, grenades, and other objects to high speed. This is very straight forward, and not a problem. He also has the ability to Missile Deflect/Redirect many ranged attacks, and can choose the target. Also straight forward, and detailed in the rules. (for now, please ignore the probable limitations of the power due to energy type or object type.)

The "unique" idea that I had was that the character was also able to take a TEAMMATE'S or opponent's ranged attack, catch it, "accelerate" it as he does with his own attacks, and then send it to the enemy.

Things that are certainly needed.

The action needs to be a Coordinated Attack. He has to be ready for it, and the teammate needs to know to fire at this friend.

VPP (30 pt. pool as working amount) - limitations: only to increase the power and range of another's attack (i.e. the active points). Retains all the advantages and limitations of the original attack. Cannot be used on own attacks. Can only work once per phase max. (-0) Disad total: -1/2 (?). I have not worked out the numbers.

An additional possibility is that this could also be used on opponents' attacks through the Missile Reflection power mentioned above. Catch his attack, pump it up, and send it back to him or his teammate. (successful reflect roll, apply VPP, then attack roll.)

Ignoring the multipower, Any suggestions on how to build this power set? Below are the obvious components:

Missile Deflection/Reflection: All Ranged Attacks, can choose target of Reflection: 50 pts. (base level for now.)

Variable Power Pool: 30 pts.

Control cost: 15 / (1 + 1/2) = 10

Only to increase the active points of other people's attacks, does not change the advantages or limitations. -1/2

Skill: Coordinated Attack (base level for now)

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. I am sure that I missed some needed items.

Re: Character Concept: Redirecting and amplifying teammate's attacks

I did something very similar to this with a character. The idea was he could 'catch' an attack, amplify it, then send it back...

Rebound: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection plus Energy Blast 2d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; +3/4)

Notes: EB adds to reflected attack. VFX/Var Adv only to mimic SFX/Adv of Reflected Attack

This is built as a Compound Power with 60APts. Still, obviously, GM approval required and technically he can't mimic the Advantages of any powers with greater than +1/2 in Advantages (though I used the same qualifier as with determining the area of an AOE -- it only applies to damage effecting Advantages {ie: AP - yes, Reduced END - no})

Some form of Limited Aid seems like the way to go for helping allies attacks.

It might be the way to go for Reflection as well. Definitely GM approval required territory though.

I had forgotten about the Aid possibility. GM approval is assumed in this case. For something like this, but limitations to reflect that it is Instant rather than having a fade rate, a skill roll to "catch" the shot power, and the amplified power coming from him to the attacker rather than from the originator.

I did something very similar to this with a character. The idea was he could 'catch' an attack, amplify it, then send it back...

This is built as a Compound Power with 60APts. Still, obviously, GM approval required and technically he can't mimic the Advantages of any powers with greater than +1/2 in Advantages (though I used the same qualifier as with determining the area of an AOE -- it only applies to damage effecting Advantages {ie: AP - yes, Reduced END - no})

Definitely the same basic idea. I forgot to note that the GM approval is assumed here as long as it is not too outrageous. Certainly, that could work. The amplification is certainly scalable with more experience.

PS: I am also a Girl Genius/Phil Foglio fan

The real reason this requires GM approval is that this is technically 2 different attacks. The original one that was reflected back and a 2d6 attack. By the rules they wouldn't combine to make one attack.

The only way I can think of to make this work would be to get rid of the Reflection and just use Deflection. Then take something like an18d6 attack with a Trigger: Deflected Attack, Variable SFX mimics SFX of the Deflected Attack, and Only up to amount of attack deflected plus 2d6.

I think that's the only "rules legal" way of doing it. You really can't do Aid, because you can't Aid a power you don't have.

The real reason this requires GM approval is that this is technically 2 different attacks. The original one that was reflected back and a 2d6 attack. By the rules they wouldn't combine to make one attack.

The only way I can think of to make this work would be to get rid of the Reflection and just use Deflection. Then take something like an18d6 attack with a Trigger: Deflected Attack, Variable SFX mimics SFX of the Deflected Attack, and Only up to amount of attack deflected plus 2d6.

I think that's the only "rules legal" way of doing it. You really can't do Aid, because you can't Aid a power you don't have.

The rules do allow for multiple power attacks, however. The entry for this is in early in the Entering Combat section. (p234 of the original FRED)

And it is the TARGET of the Aid that cannot be given powers that he does not already have. Which means that you can Aid someone else's EB. What's more, Missile Reflection states that you make an attack roll against the target of the reflected attack, which means that for this one attack, you effective do have that power.

A Triggered Aid may be a better way to go on the Reflected attack, since the Aid will not change the actual SFX, Advantages, or Disadvantages.

(xd6 Aid: Trigger (by successful Attack Reflection)(+1/4) Increases the Active points of the reflected attack.)

10 +5 to coordinate attack

The Accelerator's bolt and the redirected attack will go against defenses separately

but will count as one when calculating whether the opponent is stunned and knockback

10 ! Level Bounce usable by other ranged

The rules do allow for multiple power attacks' date=' however. The entry for this is in early in the Entering Combat section. (p234 of the original FRED)[/quote']

Exactly, and under the multiple power attack rule, it's two separate attacks. If you're Reflecting a 10d6 attack, for example, you would roll your 10d6 damage apply defenses, then you'd roll your 2d6 attack and apply defenses. It wouldn't be one big 12d6 attack.

And it is the TARGET of the Aid that cannot be given powers that he does not already have. Which means that you can Aid someone else's EB.

In order for this to work, you'd have to Aid your enemy's power before they attacked you with it.

What's more' date=' Missile Reflection states that you make an attack roll against the target of the reflected attack, which means that for this one attack, you effective do have that power.[/quote']

No you really don't have that power, the power you have is Missile Reflection, which simply gives you the ability to redirect someone else's power.

A Triggered Aid may be a better way to go on the Reflected attack, since the Aid will not change the actual SFX, Advantages, or Disadvantages.

(xd6 Aid: Trigger (by successful Attack Reflection)(+1/4) Increases the Active points of the reflected attack.)

I would agree that this is probably the best way to do it, but isn't completely "rules legal" (for the reasons I've mentioned).