Lists of items or artifacts

Stone

I am trying to find a good list of items or "artifacts". I am looking for items such the spear of destiny or items supposedly created by real scientists (Tesla's death ray). I am trying to stay away from mythological items like Excalibur or Zeus's Lightning Bolts. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Lists of items or artifacts

I am trying to find a good list of items or "artifacts". I am looking for items such the spear of destiny or items supposedly created by real scientists (Tesla's death ray). I am trying to stay away from mythological items like Excalibur or Zeus's Lightning Bolts. Anyone have any ideas?

Wait, so Excalibur is mythological but the Spear of Destiny is not??

Most artifacts do have mythologies built around them. But when you're looking, I recommend looking beyond European history. The Japanese has a sword called Kusanagi. In China there was a man who built a chair with rockets (done on Mythbusters) in addition to being the first civilizations to use gunpowder and paper money, Incas and Aztecs were pretty sophisticated civilizations and have some interesting items (like the crystal skulls). In Vietnam history there's a sword called Thuận Thiên used by a king to liberate his country from China. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for though.

Well, there's the Holy Lance in the Hofburg Palace in Vienna as part of the Imperial Regalia of the Holy Roman Empire that's reputed to be the Lance of Longinus. If there's a sword in a museum or treasury that seriously claims it to be Excalibur, I'm not aware of it.

Crystal skulls recovered from Latin America (they could boost psychic powers, perhaps.)

The Bagdad Battery that might be a 2,000+ year old power supply.

The Antikythera mechanism that is an early celestial computer.

Most artifacts do have mythologies built around them. But when you're looking, I recommend looking beyond European history. The Japanese has a sword called Kusanagi. In China there was a man who built a chair with rockets (done on Mythbusters) in addition to being the first civilizations to use gunpowder and paper money, Incas and Aztecs were pretty sophisticated civilizations and have some interesting items (like the crystal skulls). In Vietnam history there's a sword called Thuận Thiên used by a king to liberate his country from China. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for though.

My fault for not clarifying. I am working on a campaign based in the 1930's were PC's are sent after artifacts/relics after it is discovered Hitler is also looking for artifacts/relics. Items of the Christian mythology to a certain extent I think would fit in better in the premise than items such has Excalibur (like Indiana Jones). It not my intent to insult anyone's religious beliefs, so my apologies if anyone is offended by referring to "Christian mythology".

Items I am looking for are items of legend & lore, or items rumored to have been created by famous scientists that fit into this concept. I know there are tons of items in mythology in general, but a majority of them would not fit into the campaign premise. Does that make any sense?

My fault for not clarifying. I am working on a campaign based in the 1930's were PC's are sent after artifacts/relics after it is discovered Hitler is also looking for artifacts/relics. Items of the Christian mythology to a certain extent I think would fit in better in the premise than items such has Excalibur (like Indiana Jones). It not my intent to insult anyone's religious beliefs, so my apologies if anyone is offended by referring to "Christian mythology".

Items I am looking for are items of legend & lore, or items rumored to have been created by famous scientists that fit into this concept. I know there are tons of items in mythology in general, but a majority of them would not fit into the campaign premise. Does that make any sense?

In the real world, Hitler/the Germans had teams looking for all sorts of occult items, not just Judeo-Christian ones. So you could go beyond the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail to include other items rumored to exist in Europe or around the world.

Like... suppose the Japanese get a lead on where their sacred relics from the Battle of Dan-no-ura ended up? (Supposedly the sword scared Kusanagi was lost, while the sacred mirror and jewel were recovered.) So they ask for assistance in the form of a Nazi submarine?

Items of the Christian mythology to a certain extent I think would fit in better in the premise than items such has Excalibur (like Indiana Jones). It not my intent to insult anyone's religious beliefs, so my apologies if anyone is offended by referring to "Christian mythology".

Not so much offended, as puzzled.

I mean, you have the right to include or exclude anything you wish, no explanation necessary. But you cite the Indiana Jones movies as your inspiration, and if I'm not mistaken, one of those films featured the Holy Grail. So I assume the Grail would be an acceptable Christian relic for your purposes?

But if so, why exclude Excalibur, a relic of Christian lore that is actually linked to the Grail?

(at least in so far as it was the sword of King Arthur, and it was Arthur's knights who participated in the Grail Quest)

I just don't understand what makes Excalibur either "more mythological" or "less Christian" than, say, the Grail

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests reading Another Roadside Attraction