I need a Chinese Super Team.

Kraven Kor

Specifically; I need a Chinese Super Team of former good-guys gone bad.

The Chinese Government, in my campaign, is actually just a facade, and the real power lies in the hands of Demon-possessed heroes of old. I'm kind of wanting to go with something from actual Chinese mythology - the Four Emperors and Eight Immortals or whatever.

They already defeated one of the Chinese supers; a Shao-Lin monk who was possessed by a demon. (Demons and Angels play a large role in my setting.) They defeated him and freed him from his curse, killing him.

They also fought and chased off another, a demon who takes the form of a Chinese Dragon.

So, going with Eight Immortals, I have 6 more that I need to create; all should be human superheroes possessed by demons.

All should be a good challenge for the team in and of themselves.

The team is at nearly 600 points now; a Hulk-type brick, an Iron Man type, a girl who can turn into and control rock/metal (she is by far the most versatile; practically Magneto with what all she can do), and an Electric Projector type.

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: I need a Chinese Super Team.

You could swipe the Four Protectors, and have them be corrupted by demonic influence

Black Tortoise associated with North, Winter, and Water

White Tiger associated with West, Fall, and Metal

Red Phoenix associated with South, Summer and Fire (duh)

Green Dragon associated with East, Spring, and Wood

Chinese acrobats of crime! A sort of version of the classic circus of crime, difference being that these guys could leap from tall buildings without getting hurt and climb up any surface. And combine to make voltron. Well, okay, not combine to make voltron, but their coordination in a mass combat would be awesome as they leap off of one another.

Darn, looks like you have your background. [dashes down notes about acrobats of crime for his own campaign]

Ok, so I'm heavy into the stereotypes. At least I didn't make them a group of launderers with an ancient secret.

You might look into the recent Great Ten miniseries from DC comics, and creatively lift from them and their adversaries, the Chinese Gods (but not actually.) Should be available at reasonably low prices, as the series did not sell well (unfairly) and ended an issue early.

A few parameters might help us better help you, KK. Are you looking for some source of game stats (and if so, which edition of the rules), or just concepts? Should these "Chinese supers" be thematically similar -- e.g. all connected to Chinese mythology, and/or all supernatural -- or would any of the standard archetypes -- mentalist, speedster, powered armor -- suffice? (I don't mean the possessing demons, but the heroes they're possessing.)

Looking more for some ideas on the teams members and powers.

I already threw one Super Martial Artist at them (Speedster MA with Magical Power Armor, no less) so not exactly fond of the "Heroes by Kung Fu Style" - again, if only because they are at the power level where I need dirty tricks.

I'll write them up, just kind of trying to generate some good ideas that aren't obviously stolen (at first, it was going to be the demons from Ninja Scroll, but again, a bit cliche I suppose. Also, Ninjas are Japanese :D)

And yes, thematically similar - specifically, "Chinese in Feel" while matching up to the "good-guys possessed by demons" thing as well.

I'm really thinking they should all be ancient Chinese heroes or mythological beings who have been possessed.

Was hoping someone here knew a bit more about Chinese Mythology than I do (I watched the movie Hero, that one with Jackie Chan and Jet Li, Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies, etc. Oh, and I read the wiki article on Chinese Mythology, lol) and could spur some good ideas. If not, no worries.

Looking more for some ideas on the teams members and powers.

I already threw one Super Martial Artist at them (Speedster MA with Magical Power Armor, no less) so not exactly fond of the "Heroes by Kung Fu Style" - again, if only because they are at the power level where I need dirty tricks.

I'll write them up, just kind of trying to generate some good ideas that aren't obviously stolen (at first, it was going to be the demons from Ninja Scroll, but again, a bit cliche I suppose. Also, Ninjas are Japanese :D)

True, but Chinese folklore does include their own similar clans, the lin kuei.

If concepts are what you're looking for, I heartily recommend a Taoist sorceror. The legends of Taoist magic are very different from those of the West in philosophy and style, very colorful and imaginative, e.g. a sorceror growing a giant lotus out of his mouth, which moves to block an opponent's attacks.

For more easily-accessible information about Chinese mythology, I recommend the online Encyclopedia Mythica: http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/asia/chinese/

How about a two-for-one in the 'twins powers' category to capitalize on the yin/yang Taoistic duality (or similar 'inclusive, non-competitive duality' found in other eastern philosophies)...

Like... two high stealth mentalists (Yin and Yang) that can heal and resurrect each-other. Start with an encounter with just one, then have them try to figure out how the original keeps escaping/surviving. Culminating in a big show down with both of them together, perhaps in a 'cat and mouse' hunt through a crowded tunnel system, where finding BOTH at the same time and defeating them is they key to the encounter?

Given that you are having challenges with teh power level with out breaking out your munchkin fu, why don't you start creating team ups. with six immortals remaining, it is time for a pair followed by a foursome to face off with the heroes.

At least two of them should be what Naanomi recommended (or maybe count them as one). Then you also have the five basic elements in Chinese thought. That could easily reference five master elementalists that work in balance with eachother. Even if the Heroes can find a way to circumvent one or two of them, it would be hard to get around all five. So, unlike the Yin Yang duo, the Heroes actually have to separate out these possessed masters in order to actually defeat them.

And they don't have to be super martial artists, although that is certainly something I would link in with them. But you could basically built in a variety of specialized powers that work in perfect congruence with eachother (i.e., powers that require multiple people to work at full effect - Fire and air work to create intense infernos. Earth and Fire to make un breakable steal, etc).

La Rose.

Likewise, you could also based it on some of the various characters in Chinese tradition that weren't even that powerful - but of course you pump them up. For example, there is Cangjie. He is accredited with developing the written system of Chinese. Well, what if he didn't just learn how to codify language in characters, but the essence of things? The first person to develop Rune magic. And with his enchanted brush and knowledge of the nature of reality, he can mold the world with but a stroke of the brush.

La Rose.