New to running a Fantasy Hero game

johnvalentine

I have run champions for two years or so. I like it, and I think it's a lot of fun.

But I get confused trying to look through all the things that get 'tweaked' to run fantasy hero. (Maxima, etc.)

I'm playing with a 5th edition book, could anyone give me a breakdown of the differences between the two? I want to run a fantasy campaign as a break between my champions campaigns.

Re: New to running a Fantasy Hero game

How does that work? I use the hero designer, is there an option for it to be gear and not cost character points?

Even if I use the Independant and focus disadvantages, etc. A sword still costs some points.

Go to the Curent Character Tab' date=' go down to Campaign Rules, click on View/Edit Campaign Rules ,click on the Settings Tab, check Equipment Allowed box.[/quote']

What Escafarc said.

Also, you can check out the world of Kamarathin which comes chock full of templates and prefabs for all of your Kamarathin gaming needs.

Figure out how magic will work in your game. This can be one of the more complex parts of running a game. You have to ensure that wizards are powerful enough to be viable characters, but not so powerful that they overwhelm everyone else in the party.

Luckily, there are several pre-built systems: There's some good examples in Fantasy Hero, and lots of sample spells in the Hero System Grimoire, or you can go check out Killer Shrike's website; he's got several examples of magic systems and plenty of sample spells.

Any idea what power level to start the group off at?

I want them to be in their early teens, living in a valley away from a lot of the ruling empire's conflicts. They each will be talented with one element, which they can use for varying things.

This is a heavily loaded question, unfortunately. There are just to many possible variables that can adjust the power level of the characters in addition to the point value you start them out.

I would sit down and make a couple characters on your own at various power levels and then settle on the one you like the best and then monitor character creation to insure your players are in the range you want them to be.

Figure out how magic will work in your game. This can be one of the more complex parts of running a game. You have to ensure that wizards are powerful enough to be viable characters, but not so powerful that they overwhelm everyone else in the party.

Luckily, there are several pre-built systems: There's some good examples in Fantasy Hero, and lots of sample spells in the Hero System Grimoire, or you can go check out Killer Shrike's website; he's got several examples of magic systems and plenty of sample spells.

Also a great suggestion if you aren't running a published setting.

Using 5th, I'd suggest 150-200 points. They're teens which indicates less experience, skills, not hugely enhanced stats..... but then you mention that they will each have an affinity for a particular element. Without knowing how powerful that is..... I'd guess 150 if they're going to be regular teens whose only truly distinguishing features are their powers with the elements.

When setting up a game I always work from the bottom upwards.

Work out - just generally - a generic city guard, a generic soldier, a generic knight or samurai, etc.

Then work out where you want your PCs to sit in the game universe. If a city guard is 10 points of powers and skills, a competent 150 point PC warrior will be able to slaughter several squads of guards in a straight fight. If they're 100 points, he'll find one a serious threat. The first will give you a Conan-like PCs, the second, more "Thieves' World" types at 150 points. Then scale the points for PCs to whatever level you want the game to be.

cheers, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest problem with power is the character's advancing...it seems they get too good too fast. I usually use training time rules and that keeps things in check (kinda').

Sepia

That one is the easiest. You just get stingy with the experience you award. You scale it down from your Champions campaign. When I run a 125-200 pt campaign I usually award no more than 10 exp pts per game night and to earn 10 you had better have done a lot. Usually is more like 2-5 pts per game night at best. The thing to remember is that most characters are going to level up skills and characteristics. Unless your some kind of spellcaster who would be improving powers or buying new spells.

That one is the easiest. You just get stingy with the experience you award. You scale it down from your Champions campaign. When I run a 125-200 pt campaign I usually award no more than 10 exp pts per game night and to earn 10 you had better have done a lot. Usually is more like 2-5 pts per game night at best. The thing to remember is that most characters are going to level up skills and characteristics. Unless your some kind of spellcaster who would be improving powers or buying new spells.

Wow! My players would go nuts. For Fantasy Hero I usually give out 1 to 2 per session, with maybe an extra 1 or 2 points when they successfully wrap up a major plot. (For Champions 1 do 2 to 3).

We typically only gave out exp after the story arc was finished, or at least there was significant downtime before the next action. Even doing it this way, 5 exp was big, and probably covered 3 sessions of play.

I think the biggest difference in doing fantasy is the expectation in regards to allowable actions. In most fantasy campaigns I've seen, desecrating tombs, stealing, and murder are common events with little or no affect on the characters. Sure, you killed the merchant for his 10 gold, but it doesn't bother you, and the law never comes after you. Before you start the campaign, decide with the players what the tone is supposed to be. Robin Hood, swashbucklers, thieves guild, and Brother Cadfael are four very different types of campaigns, and each has its own ethical setting and expectations.

Like the rest of the comments I tend to give 1-2 per session, 3 if it really rocked. With a slower rate of advancement, characters tend to spread their points, buying up languages, knowledge skills, etc, to cope with the changing campaign landscape.

cheers, Mark

I usually give 1-3 per adventure session (which may be over several game sessions). On occasion, when players make me laugh, grovel to me about some game mechanic or other or otherwise amuse me I also give out fractions of an XP. They do add up. Conversely - pointing out GM inconsistencies usually gets fractions of points removed:)

Depending on the genre, I'd consider less that 1-2 per session. 1-3 per campaign arc (major story) plus some bonuses for role play, funny stories, etc. sounds about right for low powered genres. For higher powered stuff or games where you want the characters to ramp up quickly, then 1-2 per session/night sounds better.

In the campaign I'm GMing now the PCs started off with 60pts (40/20 split). Usually game session nets them 1-2 pts possible 3 for great RPing. With another 1-3 at the end of the campaign.

It allows them to really develop their characters and prevents the stat maxing and uber power/skill purchases when starting out with alot of points. One character wanted +2 Overall skill levels so he saved and saved till he got it.

I also impose training limits and time restrictions for skill and characteristic advancement. Characteristics can only be increased one point at a time over a set length of time. Skills that are actively used during a session can be increased otherwise they require training and time.