Help me Populate a Cirque de Hero!

薔薇語

So, I was watching a circus performance last Tuesday and something started to nudge me while I watch; A circus performer turned Hero! So, as I watched the performances and thought back to the various ones I'd seen in the past, I coudn't help but think "what if they were Heroes, villains, or something in between?" What kind of powers would they have? What kind of personalities would be attracted to that situation?

So, the goal is to try and get some concepts and possibly write ups for Circus themed characters (Good, bad, or the just plain freaky).

Some Ideas I had were:

Ring Master - A recluse of a man that is rarely seen except on stage. But his force of personality keeps people glued to their seats and mesmerized by the night's events. As if with but a single word, a single gesture, the crowd is drawn to him. Those who work for him can hardly remember a time before the circus, or even why they came to join it. All they know is that he is the Ring Master, and they need to perform.

The Gypsie(s) - There are two: one young and beautiful, one neigh crippled by age. But with just a stare into their crystal ball or flip of a tarot card, they seemingly unravel all that is you. No one is a hundred percent sure if their predictions are right, but then again, no one has ever claimed otherwise. But there is a simple rule among the circus folk, no one has their futures read by them.

The Juggler - If he can hold it in a single hand, he can toss it, flip it, and fling it with stunning precision and grace. He also doubles as the Knife thrower for the more daring performances. Stories abound that in one show, he cut a fly's wings with a single knife from 20 feet away.

The Ring Dancers - two twin girls, as beautiful as they are petite. Their ring show is one of the great spectacles of the circus. Be it the hula-hoops, the man size rings that they seemingly dance with on stage.

Etc, etc.

So, any ideas on characters? I have some ideas for personalities and motivations for the above - but have no write ups for them. I was thinking of the "the ring dancers" as being a duo of martial artists with an unusual weapon focus. They may be thieves or Heroes, haven't decided yet. And so on for the others.

But do you all have any ideas for this?

La Rose.

Re: Help me Populate a Cirque de Hero!

The Stagemaster: In every circus there are people in the background who controll music and lightning. This one, does it with the power of illusions, or environmental manipulation (amplify sound with change environment). When you should battle him, you can neither trust your eyes nor your ears, since manipulating them is like breathing to him.

The Fire breather : a person who breathe fire, using a torch and manipulate it. Making an interesting blaster of some kind

The Sword-Eater : a brick or stretching hero of some kind, able to resist to damages

The Knife thrower : another kind of blaster, or you could add fencing abilities too, making it a martial artist kind

The illusionist : Able to create illusions and decoy, with summoning abilities maybe ?

The Iron Mask : a strong dude, with a iron mak, and locomotive like brick powers, high strength, toughness, bad attitude and a move trough brick trick

The Serpent Mistress : with a big dangerous python reptile, and the ability to control serpents

And maybe an awakeend sentient intelligent animal like a gorilla, or else..

possibilities are infinite..

What about The Clown?

He has strong mind-control powers, to cause extreme fear, or to make people laughing and laughing, until the point where they can't breathe anymore...

He could also use some Images, creating nice colored balloons...

Ghost Rider fought a group called "Freakshow" once. They were all deformed in one way or another. He would up not killing any of them but gave the penance stare to the Freak Master who had enslaved them (though he called it "providing a home for those society has cast out"). Couldn't believe that I was actually crying over the way those poor people were treated. FM had provided well but he still used them horribly.

Then there's the Animal trainer. (1) A mentalist who can communicate with / mind control animals or (2) a scientist who can give animals human level intelligence and the ability to speak and understand or (3) a shill for the real stars of the show, metamorphs that can switch from animal to human at will.

(3) a shill for the real stars of the show' date=' metamorphs that can switch from animal to human at will.[/quote']

When the circus only has night shows, how about a circus made up only of vampires and different were-animals. Depending on powers, the vampire could be the "Ring Master" from above. And each were-something could easily have a human form role from above, with were-form + human-form-role-skills becomming a powerfull combination.

Another take on the Clowns.

Duplicating gadgeteer, where each duplicate is a different clown with a different gadget. One carries a stack of pies, one has the perenial lapel flower, one has a horn, one juggles on a unicycle, and the main one has to control and focus them all purely with pantomime and mimicry.

The Iron Mask : a strong dude' date=' with a iron mak, and locomotive like brick powers, high strength, toughness, bad attitude and a move trough brick trick.[/quote']

Similar to the above, how about a straight forward Strongman?

Here is a pretty extensive list of possible character types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_skills