6th Edition Brick

Christopher

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 6th Edition Brick

To clarify, if the knockback is 10 meters, less 10 meters Resistance, the character falls but does not move back. This reduces the character's DCV while prone, and generally requires a half phase to stand up, so a common purpose for Knockback Resistance is to avoid that disadvantage, especially when you cannot attack at range, so a half phase to stand up and a half phase to close back to HTH range means no half phase left to attack.

She already has -10m Knockback resistance. 4 form being Heavy' date=' 6 from her Limited Powers (Steadfast). of course, I just could add the heavy to a normal value of 10m...[/quote']

You'll want to invest in more, or add clinging. A standard 12d6 EB will knock her down, which is a very large handicap for a brick with no ranged attack and no breakfall.

Which, btw, is a little odd for a character who is supposedly a gymnast. You might want to throw a few token points at a point of dex and some dex skills (acrobatics, perhaps?) to reflect her background...

Good point, but I hadn't defined any skills yet. About being Gymnast, she was before her density increased by about 8 times. Such a thing is bady for every agility skill (one of the reasons I gave her an 12 DEX).

While the walking part of clinging isn't that interesting for my concept and the Knockback-Res would be cheaper with the power, the Trip/Shove/Throw protection is interesting (and -1d6 Knockback may be just an addon). What value should have a Clinging Limitation (Not for Movement)?

The only downside is, that I currently can't think of a fitting Special effect for her Clinging, but putting it in the Limited section could count as a Subconcious Anti-Trip/-Shove/-Throw adaption.

A few more items.

First, a 12 DEX is mechanically inefficient since a 13 would boost DEX skills (and a 12 or a 13 are both superior to normal humans, so if you're looking for a bulky, plodding creature, I would not say a 12 DEX captures that). I'd also say the character is not precluded from retaining gymnastic related skills. Colossus demonstrated acrobatics in the X-Men.

Second, I missed the 60 meters running speed, and I think BNakagawa did as well. That goes a long way to overcoming lack of a ranged attack, especially when it results in a 12d6 Move By, equal to a Punch. The character might want to invest in some levels with Move By, either up front or with XP. 60 meters is a pretty spectacular move rate in most games I've been in. With a 4 SPD, this equates to 72 kilometers per hour, doubled for noncombat speed. [60 meters x 4 phases/turn x 5 turns/minute = 1,200 meters/1.2 km per minute].

Finally, if Clinging doesn't fit the character, I'd leave it off. I can't count the number of times I've had to clarify a question like "Why does Character X have Ability Y" with "I know why the character would benefit from the ability - how does it logically tie in to his power suite and background?"

I agree with Hugh. If your brick is a former Gymnast and can run in this rocky form at 60M, then you have a great excuse for a better DEX. Running at those speeds screams for a good DEX.

Breakfall and acrobatics are standard gymnast skills and she would still have them even in her mineralized state.

In this case, you can have your cake and eat it too.

The 60m is part of her inner magic. Without it, she can run at 15 (Jogs in her freetime). In fact, her development could go towards speedster tricks (like autofire punch, speed evasion).

Her Move By is overall a loss: Instead of having 60 STR, she would have 30 STR + equivalent of 30 STR from velocity. And she couldn't keep her defenses online at full strenght, while she tries this.

I also noticed that I forgot to put the STR in the Multipower, so it would only get worse (25 + 30 with only 10 def...). I mostly took it, since every hero should have at least one usefull noncombat movement power...

Also I think you overestimate 12 DC knockback: average BODY per dice is 1, meaning 12-2d6-10, so 1:36 that she is knocked down. Even at a critical hit (used in this campaign) she takes only 24 BODY -2d6 -10, so 24 m at worst (half move at 48m running or full move at 24m). She would be stunned, prone at have lost 47 STUN from that hit, posibilly k.o. her with previous damage. But interestingly still no body damage...

And Combat Maneuvers seem to be rather unused in that campaign (ecept for defensive maneuvers). Also I follow your advice and upgrade her limited Knockback to 10 (total of 14).

I am reworkign her, but I think I may have to take an aditional limitation on the limited powers, since she has no skills, CLS or the like and only few points left.

I am reworkign her, but I think I may have to take an aditional limitation on the limited powers, since she has no skills, CLS or the like and only few points left.

Don't feel bad, I had to rework Black Falcon like 10 times. But its worth taking the time to make a great character

Also I think you overestimate 12 DC knockback: average BODY per dice is 1, meaning 12-2d6-10, so 1:36 that she is knocked down. Even at a critical hit (used in this campaign) she takes only 24 BODY -2d6 -10, so 24 m at worst (half move at 48m running or full move at 24m). She would be stunned, prone at have lost 47 STUN from that hit, posibilly k.o. her with previous damage. But interestingly still no body damage...

And Combat Maneuvers seem to be rather unused in that campaign (ecept for defensive maneuvers). Also I follow your advice and upgrade her limited Knockback to 10 (total of 14).

I think 14 will do nicely, however I also think you do not have the knockback rules down. The calculation would be 12 BOD on average - 2d6 (average 7) = 5 x 2 meters = 10 meters - 10 meters resistance = 0 meters of knockback. With 14 meters, an average hit needs a 5- roll on 2d6 to knock you down.

I am reworkign her' date=' but I think I may have to take an aditional limitation on the limited powers, since she has no skills, CLS or the like and only few points left.[/quote']

I typically look to things that are less than crucial to the character and leave those off to buy with XP later.

Wow reading this thread makes me realize how much I have to learn about making a character and I've been playing since 3rd ed. I hadn't even considered that a 7 DCV could be all but useless (depending on norms of course) and might as well go with a 4 and up defenses. I need to hone up some math skills.

Wow reading this thread makes me realize how much I have to learn about making a character and I've been playing since 3rd ed. I hadn't even considered that a 7 DCV could be all but useless (depending on norms of course) and might as well go with a 4 and up defenses. I need to hone up some math skills.

I would not go so far. It may simply be their way of playing, that makes DCV 7 useless.

In my target campaign nobody has a DCV weaker than 5, and nobody an OCV/DCV+CSL higher than 10.

Something worth noting...

IF the campaign average OCV and DCV are both 7,

Then attackers will hit their targets better than 50% of the time (ignoring all other variables).

Chart showing percentage probabilities of rolling a given number or less on 3d6

Roll/Success %

3- 0.5 %

4- 1.9

5- 4.6

6- 9.3

7- 16.2

8- 25.9

9- 37.5

10- 50.0

11- 62.5

12- 74.1

13- 83.8

14- 90.7

15- 95.4

16- 98.1

17- 99.5

18- 100.0

Okay, the skills are still missing but I actualized the powers.

I have also thought about skills, talents and perks. Considering that she has the bulk of her Points in Power/Characterstics I think I should just try to do the best with the reamining 57 Points (after all, this is just a usual Characterstics/Power focused Build right out of the book).

I also added alternative Complications (either to switch, or for high complication games) and alternate building blocks/possible improvement ways.

Landslide:

25/60 STR +15

13 DEX +6

20/30 CON +10

13 INT +3

10 EGO

13 PRE +3

7 OC +20

7 DCV +20

3 OCMV

3 DCMV

5 SPEED 30

7 PD 5

7 ED 5

15/24 REC 11

50 END 6

13 BODY 3

60 STUN 20

15 Running 3

4 Leaping 0

0 Swimming -2 (sinks like a stone....)

Defenses will come in one of theses configurations:

7 Normal + 3 Resistant

7 Normal + 18 Resistant (5 of wich cost endurance);

7 Normal + 8 Resistant, -6 Damage Negation (including the 5 wich cost endurance)

Constant Powers (survivalist, silicon based Physiology):

4 Knock Resistance -4m (Heavy Template)

2 LS, Extended Breathing: 1 End/Minute

1 LS, Diminished Eating: once per week

1 LS, High Pressure

2 LS, High Radiation

2 LS, Intense Heat

1 LS, Longelvity: doubled Lifespan

10 LS, Immunity: To all terestrial Diseases and Poisons

8 Regeneration (1/Hour; 8 AP)

9 "Tough Skin" 3 rPD/rED, 9 AP

10 Power Defense

Total: 50

Limited Powers (all unified -1/4; maybe "personal limitation", see Notes):

8 +10 CON (10 AP), Unified(-1/4)

7 +9 Recovery (9 AP), Unified(-1/4)

23 Increased Regeneration (adds to normal; Total of 2/Turn w/ Regrow Limbs or 37 AP;effective 29 AP), Unified(-1/4)

8 Steadfast: Knockback Resistance -10m (for a total of 14m), Unified(-1/4)

Total w/o Limitation: 46

64 80-Points multipower Reservere, all Slot Unified(-1/4):

6v +35 STR, 35 AP, Unified(-1/4), 28 RC

7v Superspeed Run (+45m = 60m, 2x Noncombat), 45 AP, Unified(-1/4), 36 RC

1v Strong Leap (+16m = 20m, 2x Noncombat) 8 AP, Unified(-1/4), 6 RC

5f Just like a walk in the rain DC -6/-6 (60 AP), Unified(-1/4), 48 RC

5v Impenetrable Body: 10 PD/10 ED, Resistant (+1/2) 30 AP, Unified(-1/4), 24 RC

1f Subconcious magical shielding: 5 PD/5 ED, Resistant (+1/2), 15 AP, Cost Endurance to Activate(-1/4), Unified(-1/4), 10 RC (mostly as a NND protection)

Total Cost for Multipower: 89

Current Total Costs: 343

75 Disadvantages:

10 Phys Compl., Weighty

20 Code vs. Killing, Common, Total

25 The Gang (DNCP, Normal, Frequently, Group of four People)

Note: A small gang she prevented from bullying people. Are after her to "even the score" but don't have the means to do her any harm. Oblivious to danger and so they need to be saved whenever they pop up...

15 Polarizing Presence (Distinctive Features, Concealable, Always Noticd Major Reaction, Easy Detection)

Note: A little bit like the "gorgeous" example, but is not based on atractiveness but simply her presence (unless se sucessfully disguises). Stops if Magical Powers are drained/affected by Power Limitations since it is somehow based on them.

5 Public No-Name ID (Infrequently, Minor)

Note: She can not hide her ID effectively, but is also new to this side of the world and is thus considere "mostly unknown".

Alternative/Aditional Disadvantages:

Heat body: +x to Heat-Perception and detectable by touch on hth-range.

Note: If used it could be the reason for any cold weakness. Her body needs a lot of heat and is lousy at containing it once temperatures/pressure drop under a certain point.

Disruptive Magical Bodyfield

Note: Her body rejects both external clothing and technology. Normal clothing and items get disolved/destroyed within hours. Super-level within one day (you can lend her your VPP-bought LS parts, but don't expect them back...). This effective limits her to the self-created clothing and also the way she could overcome her weaknesses with equipment.

"Living in a world made of card stock":

Psych Lim (Strong, Very Common). Can only use 30 STR free. When wants to use more against living target, she must make an EGO-6 roll and can only use 30 + 5/1 Point she made the roll. May need a little better EGO.

Note: Effectively she must make a EGO+0 Roll in order to use her full STR against anything her Code vs. Killing aplies to, with a more organic result for partial failure

Dangerous Powers:

Social; Due to limited controll over her powers, she has great reservation at having contact with people not able to take an unconcious use of her STR (when your STR is increased 4-6 times, you might not have full controll; especially in times of high emotions).

Hunted:

Whoever is interested in Mutant powers (Viper?)

Night-blindness:

Suffer Perception Malus in in Darkness

"My Life sucks". Psychological Complication, Slight depression, rather frequent

Note: When your entire lifeplanning gets thrown over, men suddenly have problems to really listen to you/women hate you (Polarizing Presence), you can't start relationsships with normals for fear of "breaking" them (literally), your entire Sense of Taste/Smell gets reconfigured, alcohol stops affecting you (and tastes bad), you have to fear any cold breeze, you can't use an mp3-player while jogging anymore and some wierdos start hunting you for your genecode - you might not be very happy with your live (the list is not complete, since every power can have annoying side effects).

Possible development paths (or alternative building blocks):

- More Defenses

- More STR

- better Combat Capabilites (CSL, Martial Arts)

- The Power to create short lived thrown or melee weapons from pheonix metal (simple blast, HTH); Limited Power

- Flame/heat powers, especially blast.

- Transforming the Polarizing Presence into a controllable Striking Apereance or MC, AOE "you really like me" power (only out of combat and she doesn't likes using it). Lockout towards her defensses (and other powers with such a lockout)

- Empowered Presence (MP-Slot): Allows her to bump up her presence. Lockout towards her defensses (and other powers with such a lockout)

- Shielded Mind (MP-Slot): Strong EGO and Mental defenses (we do have Menton on the loose). Lockout towards her defensses (and other powers with such a lockout)

- "Tastes Like Chalk": A sense of taste that is fully discriminatory or even analyzing. Maybe limited to Minerals/non frozen solid matter. Luckily, she has the LS: All Poisons and Diseases

- Tremorsense, pasive, Targetting, Based on Touch

- Megascaled Tremorsense, Limited Power

- some speed based powers like autofire-punch or "speeded-sidestep" dodge; Limited Powers

this is all context-sensitive. What is important is the difference between your DCV and the average campaign OCV. If you're in a game where the average OCV is in double digits, then having a DCV 7 is not much better than a DCV 3. (although it does let people park all their levels in DCV when attacking you)

I would not go so far. It may simply be their way of playing, that makes DCV 7 useless.

In my target campaign nobody has a DCV weaker than 5, and nobody an OCV/DCV+CSL higher than 10.

this is all context-sensitive. What is important is the difference between your DCV and the average campaign OCV. If you're in a game where the average OCV is in double digits' date=' then having a DCV 7 is not much better than a DCV 3. (although it does let people park all their levels in DCV when attacking you)[/quote']

Right, which is why I added "(depending on campaign norms of course)". My real point was that I need to think more about what I'm doing. I typically just add things because, well I've always done that. I should really analyze why and figure out what the value versus cost of things.

this is all context-sensitive. What is important is the difference between your DCV and the average campaign OCV. If you're in a game where the average OCV is in double digits' date=' then having a DCV 7 is not much better than a DCV 3. (although it does let people park all their levels in DCV when attacking you)[/quote']

It's all about context. In games where Multiple Attacks are common, or called shots are used, lowering DCV from "pretty much an autohit" to "pretty much an autohit with a -6 penalty" is pretty significant. A 5 DCV vs a typical 7 DCV will be hit on a 13-, over 80% of the time. A 3 DCV doesn't add many hits. If those points are reinvested in OCV, to have a 9 OCV, 5 DCV, I go from being hit by 7 OCV over 80% of the time to about 95%. However, I also go from hitting a 10 DCV about 25% of the time to half the time. Given I'm going to be hit most of the time anyway, and my schtick is about soaking damage up, not evading it, maybe I'm better off taking about 18% more hits so I can land twice as many hits. But it depends on the game parameters.

The impact of a higher DCV is often underestimated.

This Thread is out of buiseness for now. The gm deceided he didn't want another player anymore and the only other 6th edition game on herocentral still seeking player is a Dark Champion-Setting, and from what I understand about it I doubt she would fit there.

I still have her and I am certain I will find a place to play here somwehere, some day.