Usable maps of Pangea

Michael Hopcroft

I've often thought of the proto-continent of Pangea, which existed some 175 million years ago before the continental drift tore it to pieces, as a nice piece of geography to have for a sweeping fantasy campaign world. An actual campaign would, of course, only cover a tiny fraction of the enormous landmass, but all that space and all those inland seas have some appeal.

I've seen a few speculative maps of Pangea online, but nothing that is especially helpful in terms of printing out portions and placing RPG stuff on it. So I'm wondering whether there is such an animal out there.

Re: Usable maps of Pangea

I'ts a great idea! But I do doubt that Pangaea had all that many inland seas -- I imagine it was a bit like Africa, times ten -- the interior dry as a statue's tit and hotter than a demon's jockstrap*. Or Asia, for that matter, with the Taklamakan and all the other deserts.

* = Stolen from Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent.

I've often thought of the proto-continent of Pangea, which existed some 175 million years ago before the continental drift tore it to pieces, as a nice piece of geography to have for a sweeping fantasy campaign world. An actual campaign would, of course, only cover a tiny fraction of the enormous landmass, but all that space and all those inland seas have some appeal.

I've seen a few speculative maps of Pangea online, but nothing that is especially helpful in terms of printing out portions and placing RPG stuff on it. So I'm wondering whether there is such an animal out there.

I like this one.

Pangaea%20Ultima6.jpg

I'm not sure if future Pangaea is what we're looking for here, though it is pretty fascinating. Should crosspost that to tkdguy's sword & planet thread over in Star Hero.

I found this map and this map using images.google.com, but even so you might have to extrapolate your own version. The hard part is that I don't think any of these maps are going to show any terrain types beyond major mountain ranges and maybe river basins--vegetation, swamps, lakes, and so on might just not show up in the geological record, certainly not with any detail.

not a usable map, but i found a website (in italian) where they are talking about ucronic and utopic settings, including a "what could happen if humanity evolved into pangea"?

most important, they said pangea was not a continuous continent, but a mass of fused contnents. btw, the website is this, but as i said is in italian.

hope it could help :)