Limited FTL Travel

Nuclear Fridge

This is a question that could pop up in Star Hero, but as I’m running a Champions campaign, I’ll post it here.

I want to have alien contact with Earth, but in a very limited and sporadic way – no ‘space invasion of the week’ tropes! I’ve been looking at the idea of jump engines and jump gates, as per Babylon 5. Perhaps heroes (or a mega-villain!) could find a deactivated gate out in the ruins of the fifth planet – or as we call it, the asteroid belt.

What I have trouble with is, how do I build such a power? There are fixed gates, portals into hyperspace, a bit like a subway train network; ships of various sizes can make use of them. Small, very costly ships may have their own jump engines, which consume enormous power.

Any help or advice is welcome!

Re: Limited FTL Travel

How to 'build the power(s)' of how something works in HERO is only important if it is an ability created/controlled by the PC's or you foresee the something being the target of adjustments or other attacks by the the PC's. All the points only matter from a player character perspective. In all other ways you can 'wing it' for plot device items like this as you would in any other game system.

The MegaScale Teleport sounds like what I'm after. I just want a different take on space travel instead of a generic 'warp speed'.

How about Interdimensional Teleport? You go into a dimension where space and time work differently (like in B5).

The overall thing should be a Bulky/Immobile focus (not even the biggest player ship can just drag it a full speed).

How about a VPP (Only for Lightspeeding Objects), so the gate can move a light weight ship (low mass) at faster speeds than the mother of all Dreadnaughts?

But overall I'd go with the other ones: If the players can't affect it (outside of a quest), it's just there so don't worry how it does it (game effect).

Well it could be exactly like Star gate. Teleportation Gate Mega scale area of effect 1m = 1km (so a gate multi km wide to get really big ships through), mega scale weight (to allow big ships to be transported) Mega scale teleport range to get beyond the solar system. Possibly with the limitation must have functional gate on the other end. So a lot of character points to get all these mega scales in.

The original question is like asking how to build the Panama Canal in HERO. Sure' date=' you can do it, but do you really [i']need[/i] to?

I got started on it, and then decided against it. It would be one huge Base, though.

Lucius Alexander

I do really need a palindromedary tagline here

I got started on it, and then decided against it. It would be one huge Base, though.

Sure, and stating out the bases defenses and layout and such could be a useful exercise if the PC's ever decided to go there. But it's not actually necessary to figure out how many HERO character points would be required to purchase it as a base* (except unless the character who did will be showing up in the game and even then it's still really optional since it's an NPC). Same thing goes for the FTL-Gate-thingamabob. It does what you the GM want it to do. The points really only matter if they are going to have direct interaction with the PC's (Say a player wants his character to try using a Transform Power to repair the base or the FTL. Now knowing how many points might be important). If you don't plan on allowing the PC's to actually affect the base/ftl device then it's not an issue.

Sure' date=' and stating out the bases defenses and layout and such could be a useful exercise if the PC's ever decided to go there. But it's not actually necessary to figure out how many HERO [u']character[/u] points would be required to purchase it as a base* (except unless the character who did will be showing up in the game and even then it's still really optional since it's an NPC). Same thing goes for the FTL-Gate-thingamabob. It does what you the GM want it to do. The points really only matter if they are going to have direct interaction with the PC's (Say a player wants his character to try using a Transform Power to repair the base or the FTL. Now knowing how many points might be important). If you don't plan on allowing the PC's to actually affect the base/ftl device then it's not an issue.

My characters if they found it would want to know the cost so they could work out how much they would need to invest in it to move it to their base and get it operational so they could use it. They would start the first see the other side of the universe tours and get all the rich interested (like be the first to go into space in a space plane). ;)

My characters if they found it would want to know the cost so they could work out how much they would need to invest in it to move it to their base and get it operational so they could use it. They would start the first see the other side of the universe tours and get all the rich interested (like be the first to go into space in a space plane). ;)

That sounds more like a plot device since it would get them a ton of people who want to controll it: Governments, Pirates, Corporations who want in on the share, Organized Crime, Ferengi...

My players want everything. Viper flying bike that Viper left behind - how much? They hired a Winnebago to travel over America. They wanted to buy one (then strap on a zeplin to have a flying Winnebago!). Sensible things for a base / equipment - no! Not my group :). I said the flying Winnebago was too complicated to cost so they could not have it! The fact they have a Teleporter who can teleport 5,000km doesnt count for anything they want a flying Winnebago!!!!!!

Ohh, that is a Winnebago.

Well it's a Space- and Atmosphereworthy Vehicle, or Mobile Base. It would help to have the Vehicle and Base book for it, but it should be possible with Combat and Advernturing too.

How about just placing a request with "How to Build" Prefix in the Hero-System Discussion or Star Hero Forum? There should come some usefull answers and maybe someone even did that already.