Tying Heroic Action Points to Complications

Zedwimer

I was reading through the options for Heroic Action Points (6E2 291) the other day and noted that a suggested way to earn bonus HAPs was to give players a HAP or two each time they endured the trouble caused by a Complication (so to speak). I liked that idea, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that giving out HAPs for enduring Complications would only be fair if each player got the chance to endure one of their Complications with the same relative frequency (once per session, once per X sessions, etc.). If the GM didn't enforce this (and it would be easy to miss someone even if you were trying to keep it fair), it might make some players feel slighted. It places a heavier burden than normal on the GM to make sure Complications are involved in the game AND involved in a frequent and evenly-distributed basis.

But then it hit me... what if, instead of giving HAPs for overcoming a Complication, you gave out HAPs for having a Complication? After all, the mere possession of a Complication has a distinct point value, whether or not you encounter the complication during any given game session.

With this house rule, a character's total Character Points are no longer reduced by having less than the full matching points of Complications. Instead, the character's total points of Complications determines how many dice are rolled for the character's Heroic Action Points per session:

5 total points of Complications = 1 HAP per session

10 total points of Complications = ½d6 HAPs per session (2 average)

15 total points of Complications = 1d6 HAPs per session (3½ average)

20 total points of Complications = 1d6+1 HAPs per session (4½ average)

25 total points of Complications = 1½d6 HAPs per session (5½ average)

30 total points of Complications = 2d6 HAPs per session (7 average)

35 total points of Complications = 2d6+1 HAPs per session (8 average)

40 total points of Complications = 2½d6 HAPs per session (9 average)

45 total points of Complications = 3d6 HAPs per session (10½ average)

50 total points of Complications = 3d6+1 HAPs per session (11½ average)

55 total points of Complications = 3½d6 HAPs per session (12½ average)

60 total points of Complications = 4d6 HAPs per session (14 average)

65 total points of Complications = 4d6+1 HAPs per session (15 average)

70 total points of Complications = 4½d6 HAPs per session (16 average)

75 total points of Complications = 5d6 HAPs per session (17½ average)

... and so on.

In the standard rules, you can take more than the full value of matching Complications, but you don't get any extra Character Points for doing so. With this house rule, characters instead have a limit on how many dice can be rolled for HAPs per session based on their total Character Points:

Normal

Standard Normal (25 total points): 1d6 HAPs per session

Skilled Normal (50 total points): 1½d6 HAPs per session

Competent Normal (100 total points): 2d6 HAPs per session

Heroic

Standard (175 total points): 3d6+1 HAPs per session

Powerful (225 total points): 3d6+1 HAPs per session

Very Powerful (275 total points): 3d6+1 HAPs per session

Superheroic

Low-Powered (300 total points): 4d6 HAPs per session

Standard (400 total points): 5d6 HAPs per session

High-Powered (500 total points): 5d6 HAPs per session

Very High-Powered (650 total points): 6½d6 HAPs per session

Cosmically Powerful (750+ total points): 6½d6 (or more) HAPs per session

Option: If a character is ever in a situation during an entire game session where one of his Complications cannot affect the character at all, it is fair for the GM to reduce the dice rolled for that character's HAPs for that session accordingly. For example, if the character has 50 points of Complications (one of which is a 20-point Susceptibility to seawater) and then the character spends the next three game sessions on a moonbase (where there is no chance of encountering seawater), it would be fair for the GM to reduce the character's HAP dice from 3d6+1 down to 2d6 for each of those game sessions.

What does everyone think? What problems (if any) does anyone forsee with this kind of house rule?

Re: Tying Heroic Action Points to Complications

Depending on how often you want them to affect play' date=' I might be inclined to lower that to 1 Step per 10 Complication Points instead of 5.[/quote']

That was the progression I originally considered, but when I compared the "default" 3d6 HAPs per session to the limit of 50 points of matching Complication Points for heroic characters, I came up with the 5 Complication points per Step.

Perhaps it would make more sense to have Normals and Heroic characters use the 5 Points per Step scale, and Superheroic characters use a 10 Points per Step scale?

Perhaps it would make more sense to have Normals and Heroic characters use the 5 Points per Step scale' date=' and Superheroic characters use a 10 Points per Step scale?[/quote']

How about a certain starting value, that you add the 1/10 Complications Points to?

I have calculated how much of your points you have to buy with complications, perhaps this helps somehow:

Normals:

60%

50%

30%

Heroic:

35%

28,57%

18%

Superheroic:

20 %

18,75%

15 %

Very High Powered:

15,4 %

13%

I don't know what it means exactly, as I can't tell how much more powerfull a Competent Normal is compared to a Standart Normal (x times the Power).

I was thinking you might give the person HAPs when you bring up an instance that 'tags' their disadvantages, like a 'one-off' villain who just happens to have an attack you are vulnerable to. Or your drug-addict DNPC brother happens to ow money to a super-villain.

One problem with "affects play"complications is players trying to assert situations trigger their complications. As well, a "frequent, minor" complication generates HAP a lot faster than a "rare; totally debilitating" complication. Setting the HAP based on the point value of the complication neatly avoids these issues.

I'm not crazy about "reduce the dice when the issue cannot come up". The GM sets the circumstances where the issue may come up, and its likely frequency overall helped set the number of dice rolled. Should the example character get extra dice, over and above those dictated by the point value of the complications, if the next arc takes place on a small tropical island so he is always surrounded by seawater?

Setting the HAP based on the point value of the complication neatly avoids these issues.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I'm not crazy about "reduce the dice when the issue cannot come up". The GM sets the circumstances where the issue may come up' date=' and its likely frequency overall helped set the number of dice rolled. Should the example character get extra dice, over and above those dictated by the point value of the complications, if the next arc takes place on a small tropical island so he is always surrounded by seawater?[/quote']

Yeah, I was waffling on this part when I wrote it, that's why I added the "option" tag... but the more I think about it, the less I like it too. After all, how often you're likely to face a Complication is built into the Complication rules and is part of the Complication's point value, and it's up to the GM to enforce that frequency. Good catch, Hugh.

The value could be tied into the Complication intensities.

Example: Physical Complication

Barely - +1 HAP

Slightly - +2 HAPs

Greatly - +3 HAPs

Fully - +4 HAPs

Frequency would be the controller of such. I'll have to look at the Complications list to come up with a more comprehensive extrapolation of this idea, but I think the basic idea is there.

Furthermore, I do think that HAPs should be gained this way only after the character actually suffers for their Complication and not a moment sooner.

One problem with "affects play"complications is players trying to assert situations trigger their complications.

How is this a problem? I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that just 15 minutes ago Lucius was thinking we needed a thread like this....

How is this a problem? I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that just 15 minutes ago Lucius was thinking we needed a thread like this....

Basically, with a direct incentive in play (HAPs), some players may try to squeeze every HAP out of the GM that they can get, but all the while they break the spirit of Complications by their persistent insistence on their presence in the game.

"What do you mean I don't get HAPs for not killing that purse-snatching hood? I have Code Versus Killing, you know."

"But I can't use the stairs - I'm in a wheelchair. I don't want to use the elevator."

"Does he see that I use Shaolin Kung Fu as my martial arts style? Surely the waiter is interested in my Distinctive Features: Style."

One problem with "affects play"complications is players trying to assert situations trigger their complications. As well' date=' a "frequent, minor" complication generates HAP a lot faster than a "rare; totally debilitating" complication. Setting the HAP based on the point value of the complication neatly avoids these issues.[/quote']I was thinking about the frequency being under strict GM control.

Basically' date=' with a direct incentive in play (HAPs), some players may try to squeeze every HAP out of the GM that they can get, but all the while they break the spirit of Complications by their persistent insistence on their presence in the game.[/quote']

That is why HAPs should be tied to total Complication points rather than each occurrence of a Complication. Assigning HAPs by complication occurrence not only encourages gaming of Complications, it also requires that HAPs be bankable (which, while possible, requires more bookkeeping and encourages HAP hoarding (something I've seen happen in plenty of games, and is the reason I like the concept of getting a new pool of HAPs each session instead)).

That is why HAPs should be tied to total Complication points rather than each occurrence of a Complication. Assigning HAPs by complication occurrence not only encourages gaming of Complications' date=' it also requires that HAPs be bankable (which, while possible, requires more bookkeeping and encourages HAP hoarding (something I've seen happen in plenty of games, and is the reason I like the concept of getting a new pool of HAPs each session instead)).[/quote']

That does have its own drawbacks too, as it rewards Complications for their own sake rather than for living up to their purpose.

I agree that HAPs work better when they are regenerated session by session though.

That does have its own drawbacks too' date=' as it rewards Complications for their own sake rather than for living up to their purpose.[/quote']

Except when you consider that Complications already work that way in the standard rules anyway... the character points you don't lose for taking Complications aren't conditional, they don't come and go based on when (or if) your Complications affect you. You get those points just for having the Complications on your character sheet, period. At that point, it's the GM's job to make sure that your Complications are "enforced".

The value could be tied into the Complication intensities.

Example: Physical Complication

Barely - +1 HAP

Slightly - +2 HAPs

Greatly - +3 HAPs

Fully - +4 HAPs

Frequency would be the controller of such. I'll have to look at the Complications list to come up with a more comprehensive extrapolation of this idea, but I think the basic idea is there.

Furthermore, I do think that HAPs should be gained this way only after the character actually suffers for their Complication and not a moment sooner.

OK. "Wait, before we start, we need to deal with our down time. My character has Code vs killing, so he has attended seven protests against the death penalty. How many HAP is that? And I visited my DNPC: Frail Aunt and took her a Fruit Basket. In my Secret ID as a reporter, I ran an article series on the lack of ethics of my Rival, Jake Steele, and Steele Industries - that's two complications so it should count double."

After all this... "The Freedom Brigade signal goes out"

Player: "What day and time is it?"

GM: "huh? well, it's Tuesday, 9:15 AM"

Player: "That will conflict with the daily staff meeting at the Daily Spheroid - I'll be in my secret ID. I'll have to pretend I ate a bad breakfast burrito and slip out for a sick day. How many HAP do I get? Oh, and my Social limitation: limited Sick Days kicks in, as I'lll have to mark one off for this. I'm down to seven left this year, and it's only February!"

As many Complications are primarily "down time" complications, players with Secret ID's, DNPC's and such are going to want to play those up. Otherwise, they don't share in HAP's like their colleagues with combat disadvantages.

Basically' date=' with a direct incentive in play (HAPs), some players may try to squeeze every HAP out of the GM that they can get, but all the while they break the spirit of Complications by their persistent insistence on their presence in the game.[/quote']

And, to some extent, rightly so. If your complications arise in combat (overconfident, vulnerability, lack of depth perception) but mine arise out of combat, I suffer a tactical disadvantage unless I make sure my complications get recognition too.

"What do you mean I don't get HAPs for not killing that purse-snatching hood? I have Code Versus Killing' date=' you know."[/quote']

Jumped right in, too - don't forget my Devoted to Justice and Overconfident complications. AND I had to sneak away from my DNPC Girlfriend in my Secret ID!

"But I can't use the stairs - I'm in a wheelchair. I don't want to use the elevator."

"Does this building have an elevator? Does that one? Are any out of order?"

"Does he see that I use Shaolin Kung Fu as my martial arts style? Surely the waiter is interested in my Distinctive Features: Style."

I go out in oublic. Do my DF get noticed? I go out again - do they get noticed this time? Do those noticing it react to my reputation? I've got a Public ID, remember, so I can't avoid being constantly seen so my DF and Rep should be checked for every hour of down time, at least!

That is why HAPs should be tied to total Complication points rather than each occurrence of a Complication. Assigning HAPs by complication occurrence not only encourages gaming of Complications' date=' it also requires that HAPs be bankable (which, while possible, requires more bookkeeping and encourages HAP hoarding (something I've seen happen in plenty of games, and is the reason I like the concept of getting a new pool of HAPs each session instead)).[/quote']

I'd agree that "by incidence" requires HAP be bankable. Returning to the chart suggested above, if I have a Frequent (comes up every game) Minor complication, I get an HAP every session, which I can probably spend. If it's infrequent but Fully incapacitating, I need to use those 4 HAP this session, so I guess I won't miss much today. Guess I won't be taking Vulnerabilities - you get no points for several sessions, since your Infrequent vulnerability doesn't arise, then it does come up, the 2x Stun KO's you, you get 4 HAP, wake up at the end of the fight, and "Gee, it's getting late. See you all next week - HAP reset to zero".

Which is also another reason you need Complications that come up in down time at the start of the game, so they can be used on investigation, early combats, etc. Having them earned only near the end game robs them of, to me, a key usage - preventing inappropriate die rolls derailing the game (WHAT?? I missed my 17- Demolitions Skill? I'll use a HAP!) These tend to be needed in the early stages, when challenges aren't that challenging and are meant to show off the characters' abilities.

One important thing about Complication Frequency (and hugh's note about downtime-complications):

"First, a Complication’s frequency indicates how often it affects the character in the game. Many Complications affect the character “all the time,” but what matters for game purposes is how often they influence his performance in the game[...]" 6E1 416

The italic part is directly form the book!

Once we're playing out down time' date=' it's in the game, isn't it?[/quote']

Please specifiy what you understand under "payling out down time".

Asuming it's the above, just saying what you do/what comlications arise? How's that a part of the game? It's just the SFX of going to the adventure.

Complications have to affect you in game. There has to be some type of roleplaying or roll-playing involved. Otherwise it's as hindering as saying "Green Lantern buys a sandwich" and to claim it fit's an Everyman Complications: "Must Eat".

Please specifiy what you understand under "payling out down time".

Asuming it's the above, just saying what you do/what comlications arise? How's that a part of the game? It's just the SFX of going to the adventure.

Complications have to affect you in game. There has to be some type of roleplaying or roll-playing involved. Otherwise it's as hindering as saying "Green Lantern buys a sandwich" and to claim it fit's an Everyman Complications: "Must Eat".

All that means is that we get players insisting on playing out these mundane activities so they become "in game activities". Like wanting to role play every shopping trip to purchase gear because you have a good Bargaining skill. Why would we want to motivate that?

We often indicate that it is the GM's responsibility to ensure limitations and complications arise frequently enough to justify the points for them (but not so frequently that the points are not adequate for them). This approach makes it the player's responsibility to ensure those complications arise, and the more frequently they can make them arise, the bigger the HAP reward they receive.

As far as I undertstand the entire idea behind this post/house rule is to untie the frequency/severity of a Complications and the HAP's gained from them.

You a look at the points to determine HAP's. Complications still affect you in the game normally (like they would do without HAP's), but you don't get anything from those occurences. Your gain is fixed, based on the points of complications you have.

Once we're playing out down time' date=' it's in the game, isn't it?[/quote']

Tangent: I used to have a group of players who used to love playing out office shenanigans. We came to a treaty agreement - we always had an office scene as an opener and sometimes as an interlude on condition they actually went out and pursued the plot!

.....What kind of office are we talking about here??

They were playing investigators looking into paranormal "incidents" for a fakey federal agency. X-Files with an occult myth-arc instead of an alien one; or a more overt Millenium. Or a darker, grittier version of Bureau-13, Delta Green, or MIB. Cthulu-Fed? They walked round in MIB suits with sunglasses and ear-wigs chasing things that go bump in the night. The office... was a bunch of cubicles in a flourescent lit basement. They had neurotic terror "The Director" (who was referred to as him or he with a capital H) would call with a job.

"You know what happens when He sends us out there... 'wheels up in 10" is a death sentence...'"

I even had a Director calling sound effect for the "black phone" to cut into their antics.

"Why is it black?"

"What do you mean?"

"Shouldn't it be red."

"You mean, like for emergencies?"

"Uh-huh. Code red. Red alert. Something like that."

"Because its for black alert."

"Black alert?"

"For something wicked our way comes."

"Wicked."

"Yes. Wicked. As in evil."

"Is that a joke?"

"It doesn't ring when He calls. It plays Toccata and Fugue in D Minor."

"Point taken."

It rang normally for anyone else who called. They took the phone apart once and found it just had bells in it... because it was an old-fashioned rotary phone. They also had Apple IIe computers. And type-writers. It kept them from trying to google all the answers.

Flashing green cursor on black screen: 'Syntax Error.'

And the Computer Programming skill was verboten above 8-. :eg:

Of course, character death was rare in that game, but it did have a lot of gross-outs and engineered close calls. Basically, one player loved coming up with quirky red-shirts who would last a few scenarios and then die while everyone else played characters who were in it for the duration. Except my friend who would just freak out every so often and try to gun down cthuluesque horrors screaming lines from living dead and army of darkness... he died a good bit too.

Me: Why do you keep doing that?

Player: Its cthulu or the whoopie cusions, man! What would you do?

Me: Hang myself in the supply closet?

Player: Exactly.