Olympic Records in HERO

Ragitsu

For fun, or perhaps to set guidelines for bare minimum athletic aptitude/experience characters in a campaign must have, has anyone here tried to see how easy it is for HERO (5e or 6e figures are preferred) characters to meet real world Olympic Records in running, swimming, jumping, etc...and gotten useful data?

If so, please share the data here.

Re: Olympic Records in HERO

Some of the less straightforward stuff would be harder to simulate. IE Curling ;)

It would be a Distinctive Feature: Pasty white skin, Dependence on Hockey & Beer, Psych. and Physical Limit:Canadian,Suseptibility to Sunshine did I miss any:D

Hmm. A normal has 12m/phase of running, x2 noncombat, and is a SPD 2. If we assume they can only reach combat speed in their first phase, then they will travel 36 meters in 12 seconds, 84 meters in 24 seconds, and will travel 100 meters in about/under 30 seconds. If you add 2 m/phase to their running, and up their SPD to 3, they will travel 14 meters in 4 seconds, 42 meters in 8 seconds, 70 meters in 12 seconds, and will travel 100 meters in just over 16 seconds. If you "max out" the normal at 20 m/phase of running, and give them a SPD 4, then they will travel 20 meters in 3 seconds, 60 meters in 6 seconds, and 100 meters in 9 seconds--more than half a second faster than the world record!

Weight-lifting is trickier, because you have to peg what percentage of lift capacity is possible for which type of lift. IIRC about 40% of lift for the snatch/clean and jerk/overhead press is suggested in Ultimate Brick. So a normal, STR 10 human could lift about 90 pounds over their head without pushing. STR 20, about 350 pounds. Olympic superheavyweight lifters should be in the ballpark of 23-25, unless you give them the Hoist skill, in which case it might be a couple points lower.

Swimming...hmm. Would have to look up the official world records, but I suspect someone at or near the max for swimming+SPD would blow past any gold medalist with ease.

Weight-lifting is trickier' date=' because you have to peg what percentage of lift capacity is possible for which type of lift. IIRC about 40% of lift for the snatch/clean and jerk/overhead press is suggested in Ultimate Brick. So a normal, STR 10 human could lift about 90 pounds over their head without pushing. STR 20, about 350 pounds. Olympic superheavyweight lifters should be in the ballpark of 23-25, unless you give them the Hoist skill, in which case it might be a couple points lower.[/quote']

Without factoring in Hoist, the strongest men in the world cap out at about a 23-24 STR currently, depending on the event.

Swimming...hmm. Would have to look up the official world records, but I suspect someone at or near the max for swimming+SPD would blow past any gold medalist with ease.

Swimming and Leaping are both pretty record shattering at the "peak human" level of things.

Assuming a SPD of 4, you can break current Olympic swimming records with 7m of Swimming. 6m puts you just under the greatest of all time.

Long Jump world record is 8.95m. High Jump is only 2.45m.

Though I point out, it's unlikely any Heroic character is ever going to use a Fosbury Flop to leap over something....

Though I point out' date=' it's unlikely any Heroic character is ever going to use a Fosbury Flop to leap over something....[/quote']

I don't know, some of those super-agile types do a good impersonation of the Flop when jumping through very narrow openings or over laser beams (stationary trap types OR recently fired)

I doubt it is a good idea to increase the SPD to get to high overall movement rates. SPD is more "reaction time" (the more you have, the faster you can react and act).

Maybe fix the SPD for atlethes at two or three and increase the movement rate beyond human maxima (as they had very hard to train for those fast legs).

This should get closer to the realistic records than trying to shortcut it with SPD.

This should get closer to the realistic records than trying to shortcut it with SPD.

No one is trying to "short cut" anything. Ragitsu asked how easy it was and the answer is: very easy. Possibly too easy.

It's very common in Champions games to play characters that are Olympic Class athletes or Peak Human. Characters like Batman, Hawkeye, Green Arrow, etc.

The problem you run into is that these more or less "normal human" heroes probably have a SPD somewhere between 4 and 7 in your typical Champions game, with 4 being considered quite slow by Champions standards.

Most of us wouldn't bat an eye at a Batman writeup with a 6 SPD and 20m of Running, but you have to realize he can sprint (NCM) at damn near 45mph!

So you end up blowing away Olympic speed records pretty easily.

Most people tend to ignore this for the sake of fun and playability though...

Most of us wouldn't bat an eye at a Batman writeup with a 6 SPD and 20m of Running' date=' but you have to realize he can sprint (NCM) at damn near 45mph![/quote']

I've gone trough the math. The NCM is ruining the calculation, otherwise he would only be 26 mph fast (world record for 60m Sprint is 21 mph).

I've gone trough the math. The NCM is ruining the calculation' date=' otherwise he would only be 26 mph fast (world record for 60m Sprint is 21 mph).[/quote']

NCM doesn't apply to Superheroic games (which is where a Bat-clone would usually exist) and is an optional rule for heroic games, so doesn't really factor in...

I'm not an expert nor do I know anything about track and field; but didn't Usain Bolt in 2008 run like 28 mph (100 meter sprint or whatever it's called)?

The german Wikipedia list his speed as following:

100m in 9.58 or 43.9 kmh, wich equals 27 miles per hour.

The english list's the same time lenght, but no calculation if speed and I can't remember right now how to do the math...

The 60m Sprint may not be as helpfull, as 60m is the "lenght you need to fully accellerate", so you only get your top speed at the end.

Edit: Remembere it. By my calculation with the values above his average speed was 37.6 kmh (about 23 mph). But Wikipedia might have his real topspeed (like a Traffic enforcement camera does with your car's speed).

And I just noticed that we most likely always considered average speed in all our calculations above.

By the rules' date=' a basic character, unmodified, is a potential marathon champion.[/quote']

I remember a Teen Champions campaign where my character, who did not think of herself as a speedster, realized she could run a sub-two hour marathon without breaking a sweat (burning less END per turn than her post-phase 12 REC). I asked other players to check my math.

By the rules' date=' a basic character, unmodified, is a potential marathon champion.[/quote']

A basic PC is able to complete it while running 40m per Turn (about 3.3 per Second). Even while long term endurance loss (short: LTE; Optional Rule from 6E2 132) is in effect.

But somone with running 15 can do the same and will still beat him, even with LTE and nothing else increased

But average persons (6E1 48) use a lower range for those things that are normally 10 for Heros. So he will (unless he trains in any form of Sports) be nearer to 2 REC, 7 Running, 2 SPD. As soon as LTE is in effect, he won't be able to complete it. With an END of 11 after 50 Minutes he can't use his running more than once per turn (since LTE is now 1).

And somone with Running 20, and SPD 4, REC 10, END 50 (the maxima) can stay at his top speed (160 m per Turn/13 m per Second/8 END per Turn; no LTE) for as long as he likes.

With LTE he had to go down to 90m/4 END per Turn to keep it without LTE-Loss.

With 110m/5 END per Turn he can keep his full speed for a total of 225 Minutes (124 km).

At 160m and with only REC 8 he could go on for 45 Minutes before slowing down (36 km), so he might still complete it.

I remember a Teen Champions campaign where my character' date=' who did not think of herself as a speedster, realized she could run a sub-two hour marathon without breaking a sweat (burning less END per turn than her post-phase 12 REC). I asked other players to check my math.[/quote']

Just read that after my post. Did you check this vs. LTE? Marathon seems a perfect canditate to use this rule and to be unaffected she has to spend less than half her REC per Turn.

It's discussions like this that make me remember why I have always considered movement in Hero to be inherently broken. I've being doing running, swimming, and flight per turn for 20 years now because of it. First you decide what your top speed in MPH or KPH is, then buy whatever is needed to get you to that. I've never understood how reaction time in combat made a person run faster, or drown faster, for that matter.

A cop is 2 speed, but gets some training at the gun range using the popup targets and such. Now he can react at speed 3 in combat. How come he is also 50% faster at running and swimming? :stupid: He is still eating just as many donuts as before and sitting in a car most of the day, so where did it come from?

It's discussions like this that make me remember why I have always considered movement in Hero to be inherently broken. I've being doing running' date=' swimming, and flight per turn for 20 years now because of it. First you decide what your top speed in MPH or KPH is, then buy whatever is needed to get you to that. I've never understood how reaction time in combat made a person run faster, or drown faster, for that matter.[/quote']

"Balance"?

It's discussions like this that make me remember why I have always considered movement in Hero to be inherently broken. I've being doing running, swimming, and flight per turn for 20 years now because of it. First you decide what your top speed in MPH or KPH is, then buy whatever is needed to get you to that. I've never understood how reaction time in combat made a person run faster, or drown faster, for that matter.

A cop is 2 speed, but gets some training at the gun range using the popup targets and such. Now he can react at speed 3 in combat. How come he is also 50% faster at running and swimming? :stupid: He is still eating just as many donuts as before and sitting in a car most of the day, so where did it come from?

Well you can (and most likely will) drop your SPD to two while drowning, simulating that you don't strugle/move that much and concentrate on holding your breath. So this is semi-logical and fit's very well for "fast metabolism" guys.

Also, the cop may "finance" that extra SPD partially with the Running and Swimming he doesn't need anymore (since he would be faster than he want's to be). If not, perhaps he jogged in addition to that or cut down on the donuts (so he in fact improved his running speed too, just how this is bought differs).