Building a mecha

Michael Hopcroft

Moved from another category:

When building a piloted mecha, and that mecha is unique to that particular pilot (that is, each pilot in the game has his own unique mecha), do you design the characters as Superheroes with mecha as Powers, or do you build them as Heroic characters and don't make them pay for their mecha?

Also, if you are building a vehicle for a single player character and you are in a heroic campaign, is there any sort of limit on the number of points the vehicle can be built on, or is the vehicle completely independent of the character?

As someone else said on Heroic level the character does not normally spend points on his equipment.

A lot of whether or not you spend points is based upon the campaign. One thing to look at is what if the character doesn't buy the mecha and spends all his points on the character in some other way? If this doesn't sound like it would be good for the campaign, then I wouldn't have them buy the mecha with their own points.

If the characters are using mecha that are not unique and are part of the a military than I say they definantly shouldn't have to spend their own points.

Unique mecha are a little different. I personally would say the characters don't have to spend their own points. Lets say the mecha are built on 400 points. That's 80 character points. What about the character that doesn't have a mecha? Is he built on 230 points (assuming 150pt characters)?

If the players are experienced I would have them make 150pt characters and then give them say 400pts to make up their mechs. Otherwise, with player input I would make the mechs for them.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Din't someone promise us a Mecha Building thread/tutorial?

Monolith?

JmOz?

Umm, not I...sorry you would need someone a little more up on Anime for that...

However I do remember someone saying that they will be writing some DH articles on this subject

Originally posted by JmOz

Umm, not I...sorry you would need someone a little more up on Anime for that...

However I do remember someone saying that they will be writing some DH articles on this subject

Welllll I'm a closet Anime fan... I like the old stuff and guys in huge Mecha like Voltes V and Mazinger and Gundam. If the UV is as cool as I think it's going to be, we may finally see a viable mecha combat game...

Or my poor innocent Champions players can fight one really big Mecha tromping around downtown

I am actually working at this moment to make up some mecha for a convention adventure I am running, so this is right up my ally.

First, you have to decide how powerful you want your mecha to be. Are they oh my god! things or or they just really tough vehicles? An example that I go through is I look at the mech vs a modern tank. Can the mech take out the tank or will the tank destroy the mech? That gives me a fair bases to start with.

A lot of how you want to make your mechs depends upon the type of campaign you are wanting to run. I break it up into two types of campaigns.

1) Mechs are not unique. This is the Gundam Wing, Robotech mecha. Yes, you get different mechs, but they are relatively the same with the same type of powers. These are like military vehicles. I wouldn't make a sgt in the military pay for a tank, so I don't make the characters pay for their mechs.

2) The other type of vehicle is the unique mecha such as Voltron or maybe Gundam G. In this series I might consider giving players extra points with which they could use to purchase mecha.

In any mecha campaign I would reccomend that the GM actually make up the mecha. This gives the GM complete control of the vehicles.

As I stated I am working on this and right now I have a Robotech Cyclone type bike made that cost around 260 points. I am also makeing a mecha that cost around 300pts, but I haven't bought weapons for it yet.

Well, you wanted post so here goes. First, I built a flight suit that pilots wear while in their mecha. I also built a "standard" sidearm that pilots and crew will use.

CVR-3 Body Armor

Cost Powers

All slots: Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2)

8 1) Armor (9 PD / 9 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (34 Active Points); Armor Weight (Half Mass; -1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)

7 2) Laser Resistance: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Lasers Only (-1)

2 3) Helmet/Visor HUD: Light sensitivity: Enhanced Perception (+4 to PER Rolls for Single Sense Group) (8 Active Points); Only to counteract darkness penalties (-1/2)

1 4) Helmet/Visor HUD: Polarizing Visor: Flash Defense (5 points) (Sight Group) (5 Active Points)

3 5) Short Range Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points)

6 6) Independent Oxygen Supply: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing), 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+1) (20 Active Points)

2 7) Complete Enviromental Battle Armor: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) (9 Active Points)

Notes:

• The CVR-3 Body Armor is essential to the Battlebike trooper for without it, one cannot transform the Battlebike into Warrior mode.

• The armor is environmentally sealed allowing the trooper to operate in nearly any environment, including space, poisoned atmospheres and high pressure environments.

• The utility belt includes a set of high quality tools (thus the bonus to mechanics) and standard equipment like flashlight, nylon rope, emergency rations and other survival equipment.

MASS: 24kg

TOTAL COST: 29 points

WEAPONS

MP-337 Multi-Weapon System

OCV RMod Damage STR Min Shots

Pistol, electrical charge 0 0 8d6N 8 46

Pistol, plasma burst 0 0 1d6+1 AP 8 20

Energy Rifle +2 +2 3d6+1 AP 12 30

19 MP-337 Multi-Weapon System Pistol: Multipower, 67-point reserve, all slots: , 46 Charges (+1/2) (100 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Min and STR Min does not add (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)

1u 1) Electrical Charge: Energy Blast 8d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (60 Active Points)

1u 2) Short Plasma Burst: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 +1 (vs. ED) (20 Active Points); Requires 3 charges when fired (-1/2)

16 MP-337 Multi-Weapon System Rifle: Multipower, 67-point reserve, all slots: , 30 Charges (+1/4) (84 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Min and STR Min does not add (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)

1u 1) Electrical Charge: Energy Blast 8d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (60 Active Points)

1u 2) Short Plasma Burst: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 +1 (vs. ED) (20 Active Points)

1u 3) Sustained Plasma Stream: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (67 Active Points)

1u 4) (Total: 7 Active Cost, 2 Real Cost) +2 with any single attack (Real Cost: 4) plus +2 vs. specific OCV modifier on a single attack (Real Cost: 3)

This is the standard sidearm issued to all personnel of the Expeditionary Force. It is a versatile weapon that uses charged plasma to do damage. In the basic pistol format the weapon can be set to fire a small electrical charge or to fire a small burst of plasma which is more capable of damaging objects.

The weapon can also be equipped with a rifle stock which contains an integral power supply allowing the weapon to fire a very powerful stream of plasma. Note however that the power supply for the Rifle and Pistol are separate and they are not interchangeable.

MASS: .7 Kg Pistol, 3.2 Kg Rifle

TOTAL COST: 21 points (Pistol), 20 points (Rifle)

I'd say rather the character pays or not would depend on the campaign.

You can have players build heroic characters and then be "given" the mech as equipment. You could also make them pay for the mech as a vehicle.

Either could work, it would merely depend on what you as the GM want to do.

The basic idea of this mecha is the Cyclone mecha from Robotech: The Next Generation. It is a mecha that starts out like a motorcyle, but can transform into a battlesuit for want of a better word.

Note: This is NOT a conversion. I did not convert, I just used the idea of the cyclone to create my own mecha. Also, I haven't done disadvantages yet because I am unprepared to do them at this moment. Any suggestions you have are more than welcome and will probably be used.

The weapon system from the post above is usable with this mecha. I did not make the mecha pay for it, for the same reason that I would not make a car pay for a pistol that the driver carried with him and fired out the window. Also the forearm launcher hasn't really been purchased because I am waiting on TUV and to ask some questions.

BTW, I am using missles as other Vehicles.

VR-052 BATTLEBIKE

WARRIOR MODE

Val Char Cost Notes

2 Size 10 Length 1.59", Width 0.79", Area 1.26" Mass 400 kg KB -2

30 STR 10 Lift 1600.0kg; 6d6

21 DEX 33 OCV 7 DCV 6

15 BODY 3

6 DEF 12

4 SPD 9 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 75

Movement: Running: 21" (63mph)

Leaping: 10"

Cost Powers END

Movement, all slots: , 1 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 6 Hours each (+1/4)

37 1) Ground Movement +15" (37 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)

25 2) Turbo Boost: Leaping +10" (10" forward, 5" upward) (Accurate, Improved Noncombat Movement (x4)) (25 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)

Sensors, all slots: OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2)

4 1) Radio Communications: Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 1

10 2) Radar: Radar (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Telescopic (+6)) (26 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 3

9 3) Laser Range Finder and Targeting System: (Total: 21 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) +3 OCV (Real Cost: 9) plus +4 RMod with all attacks (Real Cost: 12) 2

5 4) Headlights: Sight Group Images, x32" Radius (+1 1/4) (22 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Limited Arc of Fire (One Hex Row; -3/4), No Range (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 2

5 5) Motion Sensor: Detect A Class Of Things 9- (Range, Sense) (12 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 1

11 +2 DEF, Hardened (+1/4) (11 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) (added to Primary Value)

5 Extra Limbs

16 Power Supply: Endurance Reserve (40 END, 14 REC) Reserve: (18 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

GR-97 Forearm Missile Launcher

17 Transformation to Cycle Mode: Multiform (213 Character Points in the most expensive form) (43 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1 1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 144

Total Cost: 219

Total Disadvantage Points: 219

CYCLE MODE

Val Char Cost Notes

2 Size 10 Length 1.59", Width 0.79", Area 1.26" Mass 400 kg KB -2

30 STR 10 Lift 1600.0kg; 6d6

21 DEX 33 OCV 7 DCV 6

15 BODY 3

6 DEF 12

5 SPD 19 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 85

Movement: Running: 26" (195mph)

Leaping: 10"

Cost Powers END

Movement, all slots: , 1 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 6 Hours each (+1/4)

56 1) Ground Movement +20" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x4)) (56 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)

12 2) Turbo Boost: Leaping +10" (10" forward, 5" upward) (12 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)

Sensors, all slots: OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2)

4 1) Radio Communications: Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 1

10 2) Radar: Radar (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Telescopic (+6)) (26 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 3

9 3) Laser Range Finder and Targeting System: (Total: 21 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) +3 OCV (Real Cost: 9) plus +4 RMod with all attacks (Real Cost: 12) 2

5 4) Headlights: Sight Group Images, x32" Radius (+1 1/4) (22 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Limited Arc of Fire (One Hex Row; -3/4), No Range (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 2

5 5) Motion Sensor: Detect A Class Of Things 9- (Range, Sense) (12 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 1

11 +2 DEF, Hardened (+1/4) (11 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) (added to Primary Value)

16 Power Supply: Endurance Reserve (40 END, 14 REC) Reserve: (18 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

GR-97 Forearm Missile Launcher

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 128

Total Cost: 213

Total Disadvantage Points: 213

Any ideas how to use the message board to format these better? Note also that you have to add the extra DEF to stat block.

I would not make the characters pay points for the mecha, but I would say that each mecha required a set of unique skills. It is easy to come up with four or five different classes of mecha, and require a seperate pilot skill for each, then the weapons, then skills for the transformation if appropiate, sensor skills, electronic skills, computer skills to interface and use the other skills, skill rolls to use martial arts with the mecha... and on and on and on.

Sure they get a 500 point mecha, but they darn well better be able to use it.

And naturally you can say the skills apply only to a specific mecha, and give huge penalities if they try and use a different one.