Space the final frontier

quozaxx

Re: Space the final frontier

Oh c'mon. I already mentioned shielding, ECM, ECCM and stealth tech. Given years (and dozens of their own Toreseseses/Datas/awesome engineers), I'm certain an advanced society could make these new emitters nigh impossible to hack. And I'm also talking about peppering a target with dozens of redundant systems. If they worked on an encoded, modulating frequency it'd be nigh impossible to knock them all out.

[...]

So now, you're in the business too?? Hahaha! Again, this is a war device. Modulating frequencies, ECM, ECCM, stealth tech, shielding, etc. etc... If it were that easy to take them out they'd have been able to shut down The Doctor whenever they wanted... But when he was wearing his emitter, they couldn't. He even offered to give Janeway the emitter as a form of self punishment (Janeway said no. She was cool that way).

Who said anythign about attackign the emitters with my anti-hologram field? It's there to desrupt the Holograms so I can just go there and shut the damn thing of. As usual the executing parts of this military tactic are the weakest parts.

I only know of one beamed torpedo: that was in a Voyger episode and damages/destroyed a borg sphere. But they did not beam it on the sphere, only on a transport ship the sphere was ingesting already. You can only beam into borg ships/installations from close range - this was very often shown.

And simple transport scramblers or Inhibitors can block a transport, in both ways. So bemign something from the bridge or to it would be next to impossible (actually I wonder that they never install them onto their bridges).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of transporter technology is that replicators are limited to a molecular-level of detail so can only create non-living items, but transporters are able to go to quantum-level detail and can't store the information for more than a few seconds.

Yes, I know Scotty was able to pull one of his engineering tricks in Next Generation to enable the pattern buffer to hold him for years with minimal degradation and that Riker was duplicated because of some weird atmospheric phenomena while he was a lieutenant. The general rule is that transporters can't be used to clone people and replicators can't make living things.

All I know is, if I ever run a ST campaign, there's gonna be a truly BIG federation "ultra-dreadnought"(dwarfing the Sovereign class in size) that they haul out whenever the Borg fusion cubes show up...with autofire quantum torpedo launchers, planetary defense-caliber phaser banks, layered shielding, ablative armor, and actual small attack craft. Even if it's only a one-off white elephant ship class, gotta figure they built at least ONE during all that Borg and Dominion War stuff. ;)

My understanding of transporter technology is that replicators are limited to a molecular-level of detail so can only create non-living items' date=' but transporters are able to go to quantum-level detail and can't store the information for more than a few seconds.[/quote']

As I heard it replicators aren't really replicating (that would cost a lot of energy), but are actually reforming matter. And yes, they only go to molecule level so they can't create living matter (Worf's seconds spine was as extreme chase).

Yes' date=' I know Scotty was able to pull one of his engineering tricks in Next Generation to enable the pattern buffer to hold him for years with minimal degradation and that Riker was duplicated because of some weird atmospheric phenomena while he was a lieutenant. The general rule is that transporters can't be used to clone people and replicators can't make living things.[/quote']

That is my understanding too. I would go even further and say that advanced and experienced Holograms like the doctor cannot be copied (only moved) - after all they had to send him to the Alpha quadrant in person, two times. The only exception seem to be the backup-module that was once removed from Voyager and reactivated hundreds of years later, but I think that one could be very difficulty to create (perhaps they only made it after they started treating him like a person, as a insurance).

All I know is' date=' if I ever run a ST campaign, there's gonna be a truly BIG federation "ultra-dreadnought"(dwarfing the Sovereign class in size) that they haul out whenever the Borg fusion cubes show up...with autofire quantum torpedo launchers, planetary defense-caliber phaser banks, layered shielding, ablative armor, and actual small attack craft. Even if it's only a one-off white elephant ship class, gotta figure they built at least ONE during all that Borg and Dominion War stuff. ;)[/quote']

TNG novel wise, the Borg

they as a race and threat exist no longer.

Though in the novels that happened in, they came up with a pretty good set of reasoning (exceptionally good for Trek actually), as to why they never built the SSCS and or just passed out all the Transphasic weaponry to every ship they could. Sometimes real writers come up with something the multitude of fan fic guys just couldn't fathom.

~Rex

SCS, SSCS, the Starfleet Battles folks know, but the Feddies never built either, didn't need to. Means Space Control Ship, or Super Space Control Ship, essentially, something the size of a battle station that moves, tie four or five Aircraft Carriers together into one ship, then weld their support craft onto the sides, and you got the idea.

~Rex

All I know is' date=' if I ever run a ST campaign, there's gonna be a truly BIG federation "ultra-dreadnought"(dwarfing the Sovereign class in size) that they haul out whenever the Borg fusion cubes show up...with autofire quantum torpedo launchers, planetary defense-caliber phaser banks, layered shielding, ablative armor, and actual small attack craft. Even if it's only a one-off white elephant ship class, gotta figure they built at least ONE during all that Borg and Dominion War stuff. ;)[/quote']

I tend to agree. I would've also held out hope for "dreadnoughting" the Galaxy class - remember the "future" Enterprise-D in TNG's finale? Kewl.

The official references state that 'USS Defiant' (DS9) was orignally built as the prototype for a new class of 'Borg-buster' warship. Just that they couldn't get the systems to work properly, so she was sent to DS9 ( (where O'Brien eventually managed to get her working right).

I tend to agree. I would've also held out hope for "dreadnoughting" the Galaxy class - remember the "future" Enterprise-D in TNG's finale? Kewl.

This one can be played in Star Trek Online:

http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/galaxy_dreadnought

The official references state that 'USS Defiant' (DS9) was orignally built as the prototype for a new class of 'Borg-buster' warship. Just that they couldn't get the systems to work properly' date=' so she was sent to DS9 ( (where O'Brien eventually managed to get her working right).[/quote']

The Impulse Engines where too strong at full power, so that interial dampers and structural integrity field wouldn't hold. But once O'brien found out how to fly at top speed and keep her in one piece, they build a lot more (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Defiant_class).