Imaginary Friends Update

Balabanto

Re: Imaginary Friends Update

Well, sadly, the whole map will not be keyed by Gencon, so it will be COMING WITH ME! That's right, I never really rest, plus, you'll get a chance at the hero system party to see what my garbage chicken scratch looks like before Bill Keyes gets ahold of it!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yahoo! I finished keying an entire page of map. Only 55 locations to go. Then an object defense table!!!!

Then at last, it will be on to the adventure text, and then it will be done.

Our current word count is...

87621, and we have 175 pages of map keys, characters, and object defense tables. It doesn't include maps, or art. Most of the adventure text has yet to be written. We're probably looking at around 225-240 pages when done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're up to 91,833 words, with 34 locations left to go on the map. (Location 46 took all night. It's the MOST important location in the adventure.) Then I can do the defense table, and then get to work on the adventure text. It looks like we'll be kickstarting the project in late October/Early November.

Just finished Location 55. We're at 93,000 words and have 25 locations to go.

Note: Designing locations like "hallway" is a lot less exciting than designing locations like "Command Center Platform," and "Nuclear Reactor."

Believe it or not, this means we're actually almost back to being on schedule. Gencon ate my brain a little bit.

We started up an Imaginary Friends Kickstarter page on the Kickstarter Forum, and we'll be launching soon. Direct questions about the project there. Check here for regular updates, not to mention unusual interruptions or interference.

This morning, I finished an entire adventure text section, and reached 101,875 words. We're going to get there and finish this thing, hopefully by the end of October.

Balabanto, how is its timeline? Is it segregated into discrete chunks which would facilitate weaving in sideline adventures, or does it pretty much run start to finish with no practical breaks?

Doesn't really impact my evaluation of an adventure (both can be good), but I know I often (when I had time to run games...) liked to run, say, the intro to one big scenario, followed by a separate small adventure (or maybe Act III of another big adventure), then Act I of the big scenario, perhaps followed by the finale of that other big adventure, then Act II of this scenario, then a one shot adventure, then Act III of this big adventure, followed by Intro to another big adventure, then Act IV, then a couple of one shots/Act I of that next big adventure, then the finale of this one, etc., such that there are often multiple plotlines in progress (some of which may be viewed by the players as a one shot until the next arc comes around).

A huge adventure that doesn't facilitate such interruptions generally requires advance planning to ensure the players won't be playing this for six - eight sessions straight, after which they have forgotten any other plotlines that were on the go (but can also make a change of pace from the usual interlinked scenarios).

Balabanto, how is its timeline? Is it segregated into discrete chunks which would facilitate weaving in sideline adventures, or does it pretty much run start to finish with no practical breaks?

Doesn't really impact my evaluation of an adventure (both can be good), but I know I often (when I had time to run games...) liked to run, say, the intro to one big scenario, followed by a separate small adventure (or maybe Act III of another big adventure), then Act I of the big scenario, perhaps followed by the finale of that other big adventure, then Act II of this scenario, then a one shot adventure, then Act III of this big adventure, followed by Intro to another big adventure, then Act IV, then a couple of one shots/Act I of that next big adventure, then the finale of this one, etc., such that there are often multiple plotlines in progress (some of which may be viewed by the players as a one shot until the next arc comes around).

A huge adventure that doesn't facilitate such interruptions generally requires advance planning to ensure the players won't be playing this for six - eight sessions straight, after which they have forgotten any other plotlines that were on the go (but can also make a change of pace from the usual interlinked scenarios).

This is a tough question. The easiest way to figure this out for your playstyle is actually to read it. Some people will be able to break it up. Some won't. The scenario is largely dependent on the actions of the player characters, their interactions with the villains and victims, and the choices they make. The online playtest ran about two weeks. The tabletop playtest ran 18 gaming hours. Both groups were very intense and made choices that shortened rather than lengthened the overall scenario.

What I learned from this:

This scenario really grabs people and draws them in. Playtesting showed that while it can be broken up, players universally want to get to the end of it, to figure out what's going on. This one makes people hungry. Die rolls played a part in this, too. In the tabletop playtest, an attack on the heroes base went bad, and left the PC's with slightly more resources than I thought they would have. At that point, the heroes put aside everything else to deal with that one situation, as opposed to rebuilding their base while the scenario moved on a little bit.

The tabletop playtest was rules heavy.

The online playtest was VERY rules light, because the people involved in that game, for the most part, didn't have the level of rules knowledge that my tabletop groups do.

Events can be staged as the gamemaster wishes, but much of the scenario is inter-active. The GM will have to judge the reactions of the villains for him or herself, the reactions of people involved in the scenario, etc.

I hope that makes some sense and clarifies some things.

We started up an Imaginary Friends Kickstarter page on the Kickstarter Forum, and we'll be launching soon.

OK, started a Kickstarter page as in on these forums. I wasn't able to find a matching project on Kickstarter.com, so I'll assume you guys haven't started one yet. I was very confused to see the Kickstarter project here, then no project on the actual kickstarter website.

• 3 weeks later...