Fish-Men

TheNaga

Re: Fish-Men

I do not have it yet. How much does the book cost?

When I said wereshark I meant human, humanoid shark and shark as the forms he can assume.

Something like that is found in Polynesian mythology. at least, something that can take human or shar form.

I'm pretty sure there is a great white shark in the Bestiary, which you could use.

Lucius Alexander

There's a palindromedary in this tagline, which you can't

I how would I explain how got the ability to turn from humanoid hammerhead shark into Great Hammerhead Shark? Would it be better if ha a human form as well? He would be different from must characters that can turn into a shark inot most of them are evil characters. Even the weresharks in D&D are evil.

I found this this adaption of the Great White Shark for Champions online. http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/real/jaws.html

I how would I explain how got the ability to turn from humanoid hammerhead shark into Great Hammerhead Shark? Would it be better if ha a human form as well? He would be different from must characters that can turn into a shark inot most of them are evil characters. Even the weresharks in D&D are evil.

If the character started with good motivations before the process, there is no reason why his motivation has to change after the process. As far as most sharkmen being evil, start him with a negative reputation due and play him as the misunderstood hero.

I found this this adaption of the Great White Shark for Champions online. http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/real/jaws.html

If I'm not mistaken, some Polynesian cultures revere the shark as a protector-god. Unfortunately a quick search only turned up the Wikipedia entry, which is so uninformative that I believe I scooped the article by adding qualifiers.

LINK

In Hawaiian mythology' date=' [b']Ukupanipo[/b] is a shark god who controls the amount of fish close enough for the fisherman to catch. He occasionally adopted a human child who gains the power to transform into a shark.

Lord Liaden I would love to have an picture of the Carcharadons. From what you are say about the Carcharadons a picture of them would perfect as my avatar picture.

Sorry, I'd prefer not to reproduce any artwork for the Karkaradons (sorry about the spelling, I confused it with the actual shark species name) without the copyright holder's permission. :(

If I'm not mistaken, some Polynesian cultures revere the shark as a protector-god. Unfortunately a quick search only turned up the Wikipedia entry, which is so uninformative that I believe I scooped the article by adding qualifiers.

There's a tad more detail at books.google.com, mostly referring to the god's temper, and that the human child would have "the ravenous mien and dangerous temper of the god". The child would also have "a mouth-like orifice below the shoulder-blades, garnished with teeth".

Edit: The book is the Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics by James Hastings.

That book could help me with a demigod character I have that can turn into a human, humanoid shark, or a shark. This character's father might be Moaalii (Hawaiian god). If i could some how combine this character with the character in this post I like to know i could do it.

Lord Liaden do you know of any good human shark pictures I could use as my avatar picture?

• 7 months later...

How would I change this character's history reflect the fact that his new description is described below? How do I improve this character's history? Would be being only able to eat meat after being changed by Project X-)5 have any effect on game play? Also how do i fix this character's history to reflect the fact the character is new clone instead of a test tube baby? The werershark (great hammerhead shark) idea I had for this character is going to if I ever make it is going to be a demigod who has the powers of a werershark (great hammerhead shark). Physical Description: Above the waist he seems to resemble a human male with the exception of his four arms, the lower pair of which do not have hands, but crab like pincers while the upper set are human like, but end in sharp hooked claws. His mouth holds a double row of highly serrated razor-sharp curved teeth. His eyes are red-orange orbs that seem to stare right at you, even if it is not you he is looking at. Down his neck and running to the middle of his back is something akin to a fish’s dorsal fin. Below the waist he has ten very nightmarish black tentacles, all of them about ten feet long.

Well, history is an entirely "out of game" matter so I really can't help you there personally (basically write what you will. You "fix" the history by scratching out "test tube baby" and writing in "new clone"). As far as only being able to eat meat that is a Physical complication. Depending on the type of meat it is probably only worth 5-10 pts. If its any meat (real hamburger meat works) 5 AT BEST. "Fresh" meat probably around 5, maybe 10 depending. If it has to still be bleeding (ie recently killed, no buying something from the Walmart meat department) probably 10 pts (maybe with a 5 pt Social complication as well due to his eating habits (it could be rather gross to watch)). Of course if he can't change his form his "distinctive Appearance" will already more than cover that little issue.

How would I change this character's history reflect the fact that his new description is described below?

Erase the old and write in the new.

How do I improve this character's history?

I always like giving the GM my background for any campaign-specific input or suggestions he may have. I also like my background to hold potential future story elements, as well as the building blocks of my character's personality and the reasons he would be a hero. In other words, all the same things I and others have said before in this and other similar threads.

Would be being only able to eat meat after being changed by Project X-)5 have any effect on game play?

You set the frequency and severity of complications, so it is up to you what specific effects this would have on game play. It could be simple background text, never having an impact on game play (ie he's able to find food without any more issues than any other PC in the campaign). If you want this to be an issue in game, you define what the issue is. If your vision is that finding appropriate food is a huge challenge arising frequent and being a focal point of the character, a high point (frequent and severe) complication would be appropriate. If you envision it as something that arises on rare occasions and isn't overly difficult to resolve, it's a much lower point (infrequent; minor) complication. If it's an issue with the way others perceive him, psyber624 nails it with the social limitation.

Also how do i fix this character's history to reflect the fact the character is new clone instead of a test tube baby?

As has been said numerous times by numerous posters on numerous similar issues, you change what is written in your background. If you feel there are aspects of being a clone rather than a test tube baby which will impact game play, you buy these as powers or abilities and/or take complications to reflect those specific implications. X-23 in Marvel Comics is a clone and has issues with whether she is a real person, has a soul, etc. DC's Conner Kent has concerns about which of his DNA forebears he takes after, Superman or Lex Luthor. You define any such issues for your character, and you decide how significant they are, from background fluff to major drivers of his psyche.

The werershark (great hammerhead shark) idea I had for this character is going to if I ever make it is going to be a demigod who has the powers of a werershark (great hammerhead shark). Physical Description: Above the waist he seems to resemble a human male with the exception of his four arms' date=' the lower pair of which do not have hands, but crab like pincers while the upper set are human like, but end in sharp hooked claws. His mouth holds a double row of highly serrated razor-sharp curved teeth. His eyes are red-orange orbs that seem to stare right at you, even if it is not you he is looking at. Down his neck and running to the middle of his back is something akin to a fish’s dorsal fin. Below the waist he has ten very nightmarish black tentacles, all of them about ten feet long.[/quote']

Like virtually every other character description you post, all I see is "horrifying distinctive features - now tell me about his personality, motivations, goals and objectives". A shocking appearance does not make "a character" in and of itself. It does send the message that the character will be unable to participate in subterfuge, investigation and interactions where any form of subtlety is required, since it will be pretty obvious that he is a horrific monster, not just a guy sitting at the bar who stopped in for a drink or two, so it restricts the kind of game for which he would be a workable character.

You've been away for quite a while - have you finally written up a character and played in your friend's game? If not, why not? The gaming group will give you much more immediate and relevant feedback on the specific game you're playing in than we can from a view from 30,000 feet.