Fish-Men

TheNaga

Are ther are character in Champions that could be a member of Homo Aquaticus? Are there any aqautic based gods that are not human in appearnce? What books should I look at for aquatic setting and beings including if they exist Lemurains and Atlantians? Also are there any Ichtyo Sapiens or fish-men in Champions and any pictures of them?

What suggestions can you give me on improving this pc which will be one of my first characters to play? Is this going to limit my character as a pc? Dependence: Water Takes 2d6 Damage (Very Common; 1 Week) How common are underwater games in Champions?

History:

He was born on September 11, 1985 in unknown military base located in the Gulf Coast region of Texas. He was a test tube baby. He never knew who his parent were. Project X-95 had selected him from birth to be a part of their project.

Project X-95 was trying to create Homo Aquaticus, a human that can breathe underwater with out the use of SCUBA gear. At the age of eighteen, they started combining his DNA with the DNA of fish.

The scientists working on Project X-95 had succeeded with in a year of the start of his DNA being manipulated and combined with the DNA of fish in order to create a being that could breath underwater but with consequences to his body. The first thing they found out was he now could only breathe air for a short time. They also found out that his DNA been so hideously abused by the experiment that he was no longer human but now considered a new life form. That now made him sexually incompatible with human genetic material.

Physical Appearance: A tall male walks in. Grey scales made of up of a matrix of tiny, hard, tooth-like structures cover his whole body. Each tiny, hard, tooth-like structures is diamond-shaped, with six ridges. His body is twice as dense as a human‘s body. A small dorsal fin runs from his forehead to the base of his skull. His huge bulging round eyes are glowing solid yellow. The ears are small and webbed. He has a four gills on both sides of his neck. A small fin ofp cartilage is found on both of his arms. A sharp claw tips each of his hand’s three webbed fingers and webbed thumb. His tail measures four feet in length. The lower half of the tail is forked.. A small fin made of cartilage is found on each of his legs. His flat feet have four webbed toes with each toe ending in a sharp claw.

Re: Fish-Men

Well, the complication you mentioned has a longer interval than the example water-dependance in 6E1, and, in any case, it's easy to get water in a modern city. Therefore, the complication won't be particularly troublesome unless you get lost in the desert or something. I'm not sure about the commonality of underwater games, but the presence of an aquatic character may nudge the GM in that direction.

Well' date=' the complication you mentioned has a longer interval than the example water-dependance in 6E1, and, in any case, it's easy to get water in a modern city. Therefore, the complication won't be particularly troublesome unless you get lost in the desert or something. I'm not sure about the commonality of underwater games, but the presence of an aquatic character may nudge the GM in that direction.[/quote']

Yeah, seems more like a physical Limitation at best. "Needs to be regularly immersed in water" (Infr, minor).

Are ther are character in Champions that could be a member of Homo Aquaticus? Are there any aqautic based gods that are not human in appearnce?

This is dependent on the campaign world in question. If you're the DM, it's up to you. If you're a player, talk with the DM and see if there's a place for that in his world history.

In the Champions Online MMORPG, the gods of Lemuria, known as "The Bleak Ones," are presented as monstrous ichthyoid entities. You should be able to find artwork for them on the CO website. The Lemurians in their native non-human form are reptilian, and those in the MMO who have returned to the worship of the Bleak Ones also appear to have been given the power to breathe underwater. You can also see character artwork for them at Champions Online, as well as in the Monster Island sourcebook. Also, one superpowered amphibious reptilian Lemurian throwback, Leviathan, is statted and illustrated in Champions Villains Vol. 3.

As mentioned upthread, Lemuria and Atlantis are both covered in detail in Hidden Lands. The Atlanteans are all water-breathing humanoids, but in Champions Online at least one of their race, the supervillain Stingray, has been given a more fishlike appearance than previously described, including some fins on her body such as your character has (this may be a result of the magical changes she inflicted on her body). Stingray's illustration also appears on the CO website among the character art, as well as in Champions Villains Vol. 3.

Shadow Destroyer, the extra-dimensional "false" Dr. Destroyer, includes among his servants a race of amphibious shark-men called the Carcharadons, who are somewhat analogous to the Lemurians in his home dimension. There's a very nice illustration of them in Book Of The Destroyer, and they appear the most like the character you describe. IIRC there's a fine colored version of that illo on the website of the artist, Storn Cook; I'll see if I can find it for you.

Are ther are character in Champions that could be a member of Homo Aquaticus? Are there any aqautic based gods that are not human in appearnce? What books should I look at for aquatic setting and beings including if they exist Lemurains and Atlantians? Also are there any Ichtyo Sapiens or fish-men in Champions and any pictures of them?

First, let's make a distinction between "Champions" and "The Champions Universe."

Champions means any superheroic game played using Hero System rules. In any given game, the existence of such things as Atlantis, Gods aquatic or otherwise, Merfolk, etc. are up to the person running that game.

The Champions Universe is a standardized setting that is not mandatory for Champions, but is a pre-created "official" world for superhero play that is put out by Hero Games in a number of supplements and for various reasons including convenience is widely used by players of Champions. It's still up to each group how much or how little of the "official canon" they will use. But if you create characters that can fit that world, you just might have a better chance of being able to use them.

Now, as to your question: I am quite positive that the official Champions Universe includes underwater dwelling Atlanteans, but I don't know which books they're in so I can't direct you to them. I'm a fan of the Hero System but my preference is for fantasy, not superheroics, so there's a lot of Champions materiel I never bought.

What suggestions can you give me on improving this pc which will be one of my first characters to play? Is this going to limit my character as a pc? Dependence: Water Takes 2d6 Damage (Very Common; 1 Week) How common are underwater games in Champions?

Well, let's see. How common are underwater games in Champions - in my experience, not common. But if you bring an aquatic type character and are allowed to play it, you can probably expect that you will have some adventures in the water.

Instead of a Dependence, I suggest this: define your character as a water breather. That simply changes your "default" environment, meaning the character now breathes water but can NOT breathe air.

Then buy Expanded Breathing (found under Life Support) to be able to breathe air. You can buy this with Limitations; I THINK this is legal and close to what you'd want.

Breathing Air: Life Support (Expanded Breathing) (5 Active Points); 8 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (8 hrs submerged); -3/4), Time Limit (1 Day; -1/4) Real Cost: 2

This lets you breathe air for up to 8 days, after which you must be submerged in water for at least 8 hrs. It seems a bit cheap, so perhaps I made an error somewhere.

You might consider a Vulnerability to certain environment conditions; dryness (i.e. low humidity such as desert conditions) high temperature and sunburn.

History:

He was born on September 11, 1985 in unknown military base located in the Gulf Coast region of Texas. He was a test tube baby. He never knew who his parent were. Project X-95 had selected him from birth to be a part of their project.

Project X-95 was trying to create Homo Aquaticus, a human that can breathe underwater with out the use of SCUBA gear. At the age of eighteen, they started combining his DNA with the DNA of fish.

The scientists working on Project X-95 had succeeded with in a year of the start of his DNA being manipulated and combined with the DNA of fish in order to create a being that could breath underwater but with consequences to his body. The first thing they found out was he now could only breathe air for a short time. They also found out that his DNA been so hideously abused by the experiment that he was no longer human but now considered a new life form. That now made him sexually incompatible with human genetic material.

In other words, sterile?

At least you have a very detailed background story. Also a very adaptable one; it could easily be some villain organization or mad scientist such as Telios (a Champions Universe villain who might engage in such unethical experiments.) Whoever is responsible, they could easily be a Hunted or Watched in Complications.

Physical Appearance: A tall male walks in. Grey scales made of up of a matrix of tiny, hard, tooth-like structures cover his whole body. Each tiny, hard, tooth-like structures is diamond-shaped, with six ridges.

You'll want to buy Resistant Protection. Also, perhaps the Complication of Distinctive Features.

His body is twice as dense as a human‘s body.

Buy Knockback Resistance, and a Physical Complication: heavy.

Also, you may want to buy Leaping distance down. In the water all that weight is well supported but he probably feels very heavy out of the water.

I believe there is an Environmental Movement by the way for Aquatic Movement, that eliminates the penalties for fighting and moving in water. Maybe I'll look around and see if I find it.

A small dorsal fin runs from his forehead to the base of his skull. His huge bulging round eyes are glowing solid yellow.

Why do the eyes glow?

In any case, consider getting "Night Vision" to reflect being able to see in the murky conditions often found not too far under water.

The ears are small and webbed. He has a four gills on both sides of his neck. A small fin ofp cartilage is found on both of his arms. A sharp claw tips each of his hand’s three webbed fingers and webbed thumb. His tail measures four feet in length. The lower half of the tail is forked..

Can the tail do anything?

A small fin made of cartilage is found on each of his legs. His flat feet have four webbed toes with each toe ending in a sharp claw.

Oh, and of course - don't forget to buy extra Swimming!

Lucius Alexander

What would you call an aquatic palindromedary?

Breathing Air: Life Support (Expanded Breathing) (5 Active Points); 8 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (8 hrs submerged); -3/4), Time Limit (1 Day; -1/4) Real Cost: 2

This lets you breathe air for up to 8 days, after which you must be submerged in water for at least 8 hrs. It seems a bit cheap, so perhaps I made an error somewhere.

Just 8 Recovering Fuel Charges, 1 Day each would do the trick. But I am not certain about the value right now.

Otherwise: It's not like Water breathign will be that relevant, so he basically sold back his ability to breath a "very common atmosphere" down to "a not as common atmosphere" (I hink this could be worth -5 points).

Just 8 Recovering Fuel Charges, 1 Day each would do the trick. But I am not certain about the value right now.

Otherwise: It's not like Water breathign will be that relevant, so he basically sold back his ability to breath a "very common atmosphere" down to "a not as common atmosphere" (I hink this could be worth -5 points).

Hey, you're right - switching out default "native atmospheres" could be a Complication. Probably not worth much....

Lucius Alexander

Switching out palindromedaries

Time wise this is correct in that I had him being able to stay out of water for up to 8 days. I was using the Hero Designer so all I could get was 1 week.

The ears are small and webbed. He has a four gills on both sides of his neck. A small fin ofp cartilage is found on both of his arms. A sharp claw tips each of his hand’s three webbed fingers and webbed thumb. His tail measures four feet in length. The lower half of the tail is forked..

I was thinking the tail would make him more maneuverability and faster underwater.

I was thinking the tail would make him more maneuverability and faster underwater.

So, it's thes SFX for the extra swimming. Swimming has already no turn mode, but you could add things like extra DCV/DEX, only when underwater and linked to swimming (only when moving).

As distance tend be higher in the ocean, reduced endurance could fit.

Time wise this is correct in that I had him being able to stay out of water for up to 8 days. I was using the Hero Designer so all I could get was 1 week.

I was using Hero Designer too.

And looking at it, I'm sure I did something wrong (Hero Designer is no replacement for having and using the rules.)

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

I was using Hero Designer too.

And looking at it, I'm sure I did something wrong (Hero Designer is no replacement for having and using the rules.)

The problems is there are so many charges and so much lasting tim, it stops being a real limitation:

Even 8 Fuel charges that last only 1 extra phase is a -0 Limitation. Luckily it can't get an advantage (as LS Powers normally cost no endurance), so it will be only a -0.

Then what should I do limitations wise with him and needing water periodically then?

What can I do to make him originally if possible? I thought about him having Atlantean DNA combined with his own. Would that make him more originally?

What would be a good ideas on some his starting stats? I know that at most his strength is no greater then 1 ton.

Then what should I do limitations wise with him and needing water periodically then?

Take:

Breathing Air: Life Support (Expanded Breathing) (5 Active Points); Only for 8 days outside of watter(-0);

Or define it as a complication. 8 days are usually beyond the scope of one adventure/session so this will only affect him if he wasn't able to get into the watter before the adventure started. And such a "GM defines when it comes into play, not a rules construct" is usually best done with a complication.

• 1 month later...

How would the people involved in Project X-95 create Homo Aquaticus if they are being helped by an alien race? How would how his look change then since aliens and humans had a hand in his creation? Is there any thing I can look to help me out with this part of his creation which I am changing?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

How can I go about figuring out why the following character is a hero? I never saw this character as being a villain. How would I change his history (not sure if I am going to do it) if he was turned into something like werershark (great hammerhead shark)? Also how would I do his powers if I was to make into something like a wereshark (great hammerhead shark)? How would I figure out what skills the character would have since he is test tube baby and was genetically experimented on?

This character is based on me. My favorite animal is the Great Hammerhead Shark. My favorite of the four elements is water. If he had the ability to control and summon sharks, turn into a Great Hammerhead Shark, and the ability to control water then the character would be me as a Champions character.

The change could be an unexpected attribute of the experiment.

If the character was undergoing the experiment so he could be a boon to humanity, then there is no reason his motives would change, or you could have him out strolling someday, save some victim in distress, like the feeling it gives him, and decided to keep at it.