Champions Universe Groups In Japan.

steriaca

As part of the whole "Champions of the Rising Sun" thing, this post is to think about what groups, both good and bad, are active in Japan, and why.

ARGENT: Half of ARGENT's parent companys are from this area (Tokyo, Shanghi, Seou, ect, ect), so it shoulden't surprise anyone that ARGENT bases are in this area.

VIPER: There is a huge resistance to VIPER by the Yakuza (who view them as unwanted medilers in there affairs). VIPER's hold in Japan is limited, but thay are activly seeking operations in this part of the world. A VIPER Nest in Tokyo is a no-brainer (as is one in Hirishiema and Nagasaki, but not in Osaka).

IHA(sp?): There are no known branches of IHA(sp?) in Japan, othoe technology for Mutant Detectors and Minitmen robots can be traced to ARGENT bases in Japan. Thay are trying to get a foothold in this country to influence the Diet to crack down on mutants, with little results.

UNTIL: Thay have a few bases in Japan, mostly in the bigger cities (Tokyo, Osaka, ect...). There is a martial arts training center hidden in rual Japan, but thay don't train Samuri or Ninja working for UNTIL (openly, that is).

COIL: King Cobra has a base hidden in the mountians. It is his only foothold in this country.

PRIMUS: Thay sometimes use American Military Bases for there own use, but do not have a perament foothold in the country (and no right to operate here beyond the american military bases officialy).

Anything to add?

Re: Champions Universe Groups In Japan.

Not to mention Champions Worldwide which expands quite a bit on the native Japanese supers scene as described in Champions Universe.

One interesting tidbit that's easy to overlook: according to the origin of Black Mist of the Brain Trust, the Sekihara ninja clan of Japan is in service to the Cult of the Red Banner.

The Mecha Police. Their duties include policing hi-tech crime (including industrial espionage and hacking) and the much flashier, high-profile fighting against power suit villains, rogue robots and Kaiju attacks. They work closely with Bureau 17 (?that the right number?) having developed a close working relationship with them over the many Kaiju attacks that Japan has faced.

Although I don't like that name.

Also need some sort of non-governmental organisation for all those Anime Magic Girls. Some sort of White Council that trains and oversees them. Probably a very old organisation, something that goes way back to the time of Magic. Probably has a few non-human members as well: benevolent Kami of some sort.

Villains. Well obviously there's the Yakuza. They're probably very well armed, having access to lots of hi-tech gizmos from various zaibatsu they have infiltrated/robbed/blackmailed/extorted.

Mmm, need to re-read the Champions World Wide bit on Japan as well as Monster Island to be certain to write stuff that fits with existing canon without doubling up.

anyway, as I said in the other thread, I like the general idea.

Don't have any of thoes books, so I can't referance any of them.

Which is not exactly bad...if we leave most of the main groups off, and concentrat on what would be local groups...

Well, if as your posts suggest, you're brainstorming what official groups to use in the official setting... don't you think you should be aware of what's already in the official setting?

Well' date=' if as your posts suggest, you're brainstorming what official groups to use in the official setting... don't you think you should be aware of what's already in the official setting?[/quote']

Rather hard to do without lots of cash right now.

According to Champions Worldwide Japan has 4 superteams . The only team that it names is the Tokyo Super Squad with members Tō ("Tower", a powered armor guy), Kiko ("Chrysanthemum", a mystic martial artist), Fidobakku (Feedback", sonic energy projector) and Kōdōtai ("Zodiac Man", a shapechanger). These heroes are named but no write-ups are given

Champions Worldwide does give write-ups Charm Girl (a flying brick superhero), Shonen No Kufu ("Gadget Boy", gadgeteer superhero), Tetsuronin (powered armor superhero), Kazan ("Volcano", rock/earth controlling supervillain), and Tetsuryu ("Iron Dragon", powered armor wearing supervillain).

The lack of cash remark suggests that you won't be investing in research materials on actual Japan either' date=' which worries me.[/quote']

One can hope that he will at least be using the library on that one or has resources of his own. But it is important to research the settings and have players that will do so to or are interested enough to learn as they go. Otherwise you are playing a game set in the US with strange names.

Well from nnja hero 4th, there is a villian group named yoshoo, the elements. And according to the bbb, Viper is comprised of many evil corporation, and one is yamato electronics (i think) so viper would have an influence, and of course war with the yakuzza :). There of course would be heroic samurai or even a team. And plenty of ninjas. There of course would be a Chinese villian or group, to weaken Japan for conquest. And I think there would be some Korean influence also. Again, a north korean influence (evil) to disrupt alliance of Japan, South Korea, and U.S. So South Korea would have an interest in Japan too.

The lack of cash remark suggests that you won't be investing in research materials on actual Japan either' date=' which worries me.[/quote']

Why, he just is brainstorming some ideas, and using what resources he has available. Its not like he trying to do a master thesis or something. :)

Why' date=' he just is brainstorming some ideas, and using what resources he has available. Its not like he trying to do a master thesis or something. :)[/quote']

Thanks for the words of encourgment, Ninja-Bear. I do have a libary card (two lovely words to someone who wants to do something semi-major with the game he loves so much, but can not keep up with).

So, yes, I am basicly brainstorming with the help of eveyone. Thank you.

...now, where did I leave that portal to 'Yamato', the mythological Japan...

OK...lets start expanding the Champions Universe in Japan.

Name of Group: Orochi

Goles: To return Japan to isolation from the west, through force if nessasary.

Agents: Yes, many.

Leader: Testushogun ("Iron Shogun"), and seven other generals (Orochinoatemi, "heads of Orochi").

Style: Hi-tech weapions, styled like achient samuri armor and weapions.

Outside Of Japan Operations: Yes. (Attacks Japanies busisnesspeople who work outside of Japan, goes anywhere to defeat Japan's openess).

Enimies: UNTIL, VIPER, vareous other groups which are forien born.

Friends: The Japanies branch of ARGENT (but not other branches). Yooshoo. A small part of the Diet.

More on Orichi

Membership List:

Testushogun ("Iron Shogun"): Leader of the entier group, and the Ateminoichi ("first head") of the leaders of this group. Rairly fights, but when called to do so, uses samuri thiemed power armor and hi-tech versions of samuri weapions.

Yojimbomaru ("Bodyguard Warrior): Second head of the group, and leader of an eliet 5 man group of samuri theamed 'rangers' asigned to protect Testushogun and to "sweep away even the most small of pebbles which would impell my master's walk".

Mechamaru: Third head, and leader and designer of the Mecha Sentai (or "Mechtai"). An excelent giant robot piolit, theas big weapions are used rairly, but effecently.

Kagimaru ("Shadow Warrior"): The fourth head is the head of the hi-tech ninja squad. Nuff said about that.

Mizumaru ("Water Warrior"): The fifth head is the head of a specalised team of hi-tech water agents sometimes refered to as "the Kapas" (after the legendary water goblins of japanies myth).

Onimaru: A small time mutant with small horns on his head and an extream intelagence, he makes and uses robots based on creachers from japanies myth (see Aisan Beasty for base forms...and modifie at will). He is the sixed head of this group.

Ryumaru ("Dragon Warrior"): The seventh head is not a fighter at all, but a banker...he takes his name from the achient name for curency of Japan, the Ryu (which was worth an entier busshel of rice, if I remember corectly). He is in charge of financing the group.

Kenmaru ("Strike Warrior"): The eighth head is someone the heros will come across more offen than not...he is the head of the rank and file soldiers of the group, and some special squads also (including hiered supers).

What do you think? Anything you might feal free to add or subtract?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good' date=' but most people would assume the name Dragon Warrior would be a marial artist not necessacerly a banker. But just a small issue. How about the body guard be an immense sumo?[/quote']

I guess that is the point on the banker charater. But nobody said he can't be both.

And Yojimbomushi a sumo user? Another posability. I'm rather fluid at this stage of the game (with nothing right now writen in stone).

I guess that is the point on the banker charater. But nobody said he can't be both.

And Yojimbomushi a sumo user? Another posability. I'm rather fluid at this stage of the game (with nothing right now writen in stone).

Exactly true about Daragon warrior. You thought he was tough in the street, now try Wall Street! (Or where the Nikae is (sp?). And again there is no rule that Yojimbomushi is not a master of more than one art, either. Seeker in Watchers of the Dragon had four styles mastered if I remeber correctly.

Just throwing out ideas as shuriken.