Vanished Villains

Armitage

Re: Vanished Villains

Enemies III was very quirky and I saw a website from the author he did a few game writing projects but wasn't really into supers so much and liked being odd. That said I liked quite a few.

One of my favorite enemies books was Villainy Unbound.

Titaness, Sharpes, Mass Reaction (Bomb, Echo, Fallout, Meltdown, and Ringer), Plunder, the Psi-Kin, Borealis, Duchess Industries, the Engineer, Invictus, Hitsusatsu and Kawaii, Lionslayer, Mentalax, Citadel, and Princess were my faves.

Hitting 4th Ed I dug System - 7 from Enemies Assembled, and Starwell from Enemies for Hire...but she was pretty much it.

Enemies III was the first time I remember seeing a Naked Power Advantage and I think it was a slot in EC(maybe it was a MP) and it added range to here Arrow MP. Rainbow Archer I think was the name.

I can't find my copy but the Classic Enemies version was totally rewritten without that.

Basically, instead of simply quietly editing villains he didn't like out when he rebooted the CU, Steve killed them off.

White Flame and Bora had a Steve Long bridge dropped on them. Neutron's stronghold fate comes to mind, too.

I'm not sure where the margin in "do nasty things to characters you hate but other people might like" is, but there you have it.

Funny story. When I first started to play Champions, I played a ninja (with the Dark Champions mindset-though I didn't know it at the time.) And the GM had me fight Black Claw from Classic Enemies. Well, I got mad and eventually threw Blaw Claw off the building. The GM declared I killed him. And he wasn't mad cause he hated the write up of Black Claw. I still get grief for npt being a hero. To understand, the group I play with for Champions is default Silver age which my ninja was created for, but I didn't understand what the genre conventions were, until much later!

I know Bora and The Whip were knocked off in that VIPER war' date=' but I've never seen anything regards to White Flame after 4th.[/quote']

You are indeed correct. I got my missing Eurostar members mixed up.

The whip appears to have returned as the solo villain "Lash," however.

Not the same character, but very similar in many respects.

Funny story. When I first started to play Champions' date=' I played a ninja (with the Dark Champions mindset-though I didn't know it at the time.) And the GM had me fight Black Claw from Classic Enemies. Well, I got mad and eventually threw Blaw Claw off the building. The GM declared I killed him. And he wasn't mad cause he hated the write up of Black Claw. I still get grief for npt being a hero. To understand, the group I play with for Champions is default Silver age which my ninja was created for, but I didn't understand what the genre conventions were, until much later![/quote']

I don't mind if canon characters are killed (if genre appropriate) in play. I just don't like having them officially erased when they may exist in their previous incarnations in a vast swath of private campaigns. It makes it harder to use the new material unless you hit the "reset" button. I ran a long-term "green tinged bronze" campaign about a government super-team. A running feud with Eurostar developed over time. I mean Hatfield and McCoys going at it hammer and tongs. It was ugly. Two PCs died over the years. But Mentalla also left Eurostar, became an underworld figure, and very tenuous, untrustworthy ally to the heroes. In the final confrontation the PCs not only got the drop on Eurostar, but used excellent small-unit tactics and had hot dice. Le Sone was killed, Durak was crippled, and Pantera, the Whip, and White Flame were captured. Fiacho, who would have been mortally wounded had it been a heroic game, was airlifted out by Bora. Overall, the game was more "polished bronze," but that feud was very gritty noir.

The whip appears to have returned as the solo villain "Lash," however.

Not the same character, but very similar in many respects.

That seems to happen a bit with the CU. Which is understandable since rules change and/or creators leave and take their creations with them.

I always figured Zephyr was meant to replace Bora as the archetypal air-elemental sort.

There was a young' date=' blonde, female air manipulator named Zephyr in [i']European Enemies[/i], although she was an amnesiac wind sprite.

Ah, thanks. Never read that one.

Still think I'm basically correct in regards to 5th ed CU, though some rebooting seems to have been involved.