Vanished Villains

Armitage

I was recently looking through some of the older villain books, thinking about villains who were only in certain editions and then vanished.

Beyond characters like Frizbe or Darkon, I found myself wondering whatever happened to White Flame, Eurostar's flame wielder before Feuermacher jumped ship from Terror, Inc. in 5e.

Then I noticed a line in his Appearance paragraph in Classic Enemies:

"His asbestos costume is white with red trim, gloves, and boots."

Given that he doesn't have Life Support: Immunity to Disease or Self-Contained Breathing, I'm guessing that somewhere in the Champions Universe is a headstone that reads "Here lies White Flame. Killed by his costume."

Re: Vanished Villains

Steve Long took an intriguing tack with another classic Champions villain, Neutron, in the 5E PDF-only book The Stronghold Files. In current official continuity Neutron was one of the most powerful, brilliant, ambitious, and feared master villains in the world during the 1970s and '80s-- in the same class as Marvel Comics' Magneto, although his plans for world conquest included no particular pro-mutant agenda. Imprisoned in Stronghold since 1989, age and prolonged exposure to Stronghold's power dampeners had worn down Neutron's superhuman powers to the palest ghost of their former strength, and left Neutron bitter and well-nigh resigned to dying in prison.

BTW his flunky Arc languished in prison with him, as loyal as ever. No mention has been published of whether either of them escaped as part of the Stronghold breakout of 2009.

For my modified CU-based campaign I've considered declaring that Neutron slipped out during the breakout, but his recapture has been a low priority with his powers so weak. But I would have Neutron encounter the mysterious time-manipulating villain Timelapse (Champions Villains Vol. 3), who for his own purposes restores Neutron to his physical prime.

Assuming we have a 50th anniversary champions adventure, and I'm allowed to write it, I promise that if I'm still writing Hero products by then, it will be nothing but Forgotten Villains.

And yes. I already have an idea.

It's called "Fly Away Home."

You're gonna love it.

I was recently looking through some of the older villain books, thinking about villains who were only in certain editions and then vanished.

Beyond characters like Frizbe or Darkon, I found myself wondering whatever happened to White Flame, Eurostar's flame wielder before Feuermacher jumped ship from Terror, Inc. in 5e.

Given that he doesn't have Life Support: Immunity to Disease or Self-Contained Breathing, I'm guessing that somewhere in the Champions Universe is a headstone that reads "Here lies White Flame. Killed by his costume."

That's so darkly funny that I might use it...

Many forms of asbestos are nonfriable and in the oil industry we still use them in limited situations such as entering an active heater. (Imagine a large building full of pipes a 20 foot natural gas flames.)

Hero is loaded with good villains who have not made any recent appearances....some I really liked who have not come back include Ray, Beamline, Wyvern, The Geodesics, The Corrupters of All, Radar and Sonar...among many others. I updated Radar and Sonar to 6th ed just to see how they'd turn out.

Hero is loaded with good villains who have not made any recent appearances....some I really liked who have not come back include Ray' date=' Beamline, Wyvern, The Geodesics, The Corrupters of All, Radar and Sonar...among many others. I updated Radar and Sonar to 6th ed just to see how they'd turn out.[/quote']

I'm not familiar with Radar and Sonar. What are they like (aside from the obvious :D)?

Many forms of asbestos are nonfriable and in the oil industry we still use them in limited situations such as entering an active heater. (Imagine a large building full of pipes a 20 foot natural gas flames.)

I used to work for an environmental testing laboratory, as a Project Monitor for asbestos abatements. I was largely being facetious. ;)

Hero is loaded with good villains who have not made any recent appearances....some I really liked who have not come back include ...The Corrupters of All' date=' ...[/quote']

It's my understanding that the rights to the Corrupters are held by the publisher of the Champions comics, although he ended up never using them. That's why their pictures are used as header art in Classic Enemies, and Cryotron is mentioned on the back cover, but the characters themselves don't actually appear. They had to be pulled from the book.

Kawaii and Hitsusatsu (who should be romanized as Hissatsu) are still a sentimental favorite of mine. In my personal fanon, Kawaii ("cute") grew up, learned the deadly martial art of her mentor as well as increasing her mental abilities, and took the code name Karen ("beautiful").

Hero is loaded with good villains who have not made any recent appearances....some I really liked who have not come back include Ray' date=' Beamline, Wyvern, The Geodesics, The Corrupters of All, Radar and Sonar...among many others. I updated Radar and Sonar to 6th ed just to see how they'd turn out.[/quote'] I still use Ray and Wyvern. I guess it's time for a 6th ed upgrade.

I'm not familiar with Radar and Sonar. What are they like (aside from the obvious :D)?

What I know of them, thay are a brother and sister team originaly from Hawaii, and are of Japanies Decent. Thay are mutants. Radar has energy projection powers based on Radar waves, while Sonar has energy projection powers based on Sonar waves. I can't remember which gender is Sonar, and which is Radar, but there power setup can easly be expanded upon. Thay appear in the Champions comic books (mostly Flair, and I think The Marksman before thay had to legaly change his name into The Huntsman).

Kawaii and Hitsusatsu (who should be romanized as Hissatsu) are still a sentimental favorite of mine. In my personal fanon' date=' Kawaii ("cute") grew up, learned the deadly martial art of her mentor as well as increasing her mental abilities, and took the code name Karen ("beautiful").[/quote']

Humm...nice ideal. I wonder if she took up her old man's occupation?

I've been converting several of the "disappeared" villains. I posted a conversion of Sledge I reworked, Wyvren (he and Sledge Joined the Newly Formed Conquerors), Prof Meurte (seems word of his death was a bit premature), Giganto and plan on CLOWN as well. Plus been reworking my own creations as well

Enemies III also had Dark Angel, Red Rapier, Stronghammer The Dwarf and The Amazing Darkon--to name a few more "one-hit wonders."

Brick and Dragonfly made it to 4th Edition--Brick in the VIPER Sourcebook (pg. 118) and Dragonfly in the BBB (Campaign section, pg. C-28).

For myself, I've always liked Beamline (Enemies III, Classic Enemies) and The Asesinos (BBB Campaign section), especially El Muerto Obscuro (The Dark Death). I always thought his Characteristics were a great starting place for a super-soldier character; from there it was a matter of selecting appropriate weapons and skills.

Hope that helps.

Enemies III also had Dark Angel, Red Rapier, Stronghammer The Dwarf and The Amazing Darkon--to name a few more "one-hit wonders."

Yeah, III had its fair share of characters on the quirky/weird side, which is something I liked about it but I don't know how that went over in general.

Basically, instead of simply quietly editing villains he didn't like out when he rebooted the CU, Steve killed them off.

White Flame and Bora had a Steve Long bridge dropped on them. Neutron's stronghold fate comes to mind, too.

I'm not sure where the margin in "do nasty things to characters you hate but other people might like" is, but there you have it.

Enemies 3 seemed to have a lot of one hit wonders. I remember the Green Knight.

Also I remember Brick and Dragonfly from the early rule books

Dragonfly became a rite-of-passage in my group. Whenever he appeared the agreement was for everyone else to hold back or engage other opponents and have "the new guy" (newest character and/or player) target him. If you one-punched him, you were One Of The Team.

Humm...I always wondered what happened to Radar and Sonar. Well' date=' I guess I shoulden't expect that duo in the book. Prehaps [b']Panda[/b] and Racoon? Thunder and Lighting? Kawai and her guardian who's name has sliped my mind?

In my world Panda and Raccoon became eco-terrorist for a while, but now are engaging in lower profile crime to finance some covert cloning labs. They have been known to break into zoos or labs where a rare species is located, take a swab or leaf cutting, and leave. PC's in my campaign largely ignored them.

A version of Dragonfly still exists in the 5E/6E CU, although with a rather different origin and a history taking him in a very different direction. The description of the character in his early career sounds very much like the previous Dragonfly, though. There's also a vampire called Stalker in current continuity, but very different stylistically from his predecessor.

I've noticed that Steve Long seems to like taking the concepts behind some earlier Champions characters and recasting them somewhat for the newer editions. For example, Hornet's origin is almost identical to that of Stinger from Deathstroke. Grotesque fills the "misunderstood horrible monster" role that Hideous used to. Merc-Force One is a clear riff on Bullet's Raiders.

White Flame and Bora had a Steve Long bridge dropped on them.

I know Bora and The Whip were knocked off in that VIPER war, but I've never seen anything regards to White Flame after 4th.

I had a GM do something similar. He opened the adventure by passing out papers detailing how UNTIL killed all of Eurostar except Le Sone, who we had to hunt down. "They were losers" is all he would say about it, which was doubly weird because it was the only thing from CU he ever used.

Dragonfly became a rite-of-passage in my group. Whenever he appeared the agreement was for everyone else to hold back or engage other opponents and have "the new guy" (newest character and/or player) target him. If you one-punched him' date=' you were One Of The Team.[/quote']

This particular niche, for some reason, became occupied by Mentalax in my old Champions campaign.

In my world Panda and Raccoon became eco-terrorist for a while' date=' but now are engaging in lower profile crime to finance some covert cloning labs. They have been known to break into zoos or labs where a rare species is located, take a swab or leaf cutting, and leave. PC's in my campaign largely ignored them.[/quote']

I went a bit weird with Racoon: gave him the additional name Rocky, and had him go on adventures in space with a skunk. This of course made Mandy Panda jealous.

Enemies III also had Dark Angel' date=' Red Rapier, Stronghammer The Dwarf and The Amazing Darkon--to name a few more "one-hit wonders."[/quote']

I've always thought the Amazing Darkon has a vague resemblance to this guy.

I know Bora and The Whip were knocked off in that VIPER war, but I've never seen anything regards to White Flame after 4th.

I had a GM do something similar. He opened the adventure by passing out papers detailing how UNTIL killed all of Eurostar except Le Sone, who we had to hunt down. "They were losers" is all he would say about it, which was doubly weird because it was the only thing from CU he ever used.

White flamemade it into Champions New Millinium, but never came back from Fuzion. Maybe he liked the simpler system?