Character Size and combat

m3nt0r

Hello and a happy new year! :celebrate There is something bothering me about the character size and its value in combat,except from the size templates many parameters in the game are tailored to a 2m unit.For example in autofire you get the -1 penalty per 2m of distance between targets, or in AoE you miss the target point 2m per -1 failure of your roll.What if the character is a colossal creature 100 meters tall and 30 meters wide? shouldn't be a modifier to this standard 2m unit for it in autofire or in Aoe miss distance?is there some rule for it already i have missed or how you do simulate it?(if someone does) thank you!

Re: Character Size and combat

Perhaps the additional distance penalty is offset by the size of your target? At 100m tall (I went with Gigantic), those creatures are providing a +16 to hit (see 6E251), which means that the targets can be quite a bit further away from each other. Just two targets? If they are the same size as the colossal creature, they can be up to 32m away from each other before penalties, right?

Perhaps the additional distance penalty is offset by the size of your target? At 100m tall (I went with Gigantic)' date=' those creatures are providing a +16 to hit (see 6E251), which means that the targets can be quite a bit further away from each other. Just two targets? If they are the same size as the colossal creature, they can be up to 32m away from each other [i']before[/i] penalties, right?

That

Perhaps the additional distance penalty is offset by the size of your target? At 100m tall (I went with Gigantic)' date=' those creatures are providing a +16 to hit (see 6E251), which means that the targets can be quite a bit further away from each other. Just two targets? If they are the same size as the colossal creature, they can be up to 32m away from each other [i']before[/i] penalties, right?

I didn't express it right in my original post.Sorry about that.

I was referring to the situation that the Attacker is of a larger size, for example a colossal creature with a colossal machine gun with autofire 10 can only cover a 2m x 10 = 20 meters firing line in the current rules,a minuscule amount for someone that tall.Maybe i will stick with Matt's solution of megascaling according to size :)

I didn't express it right in my original post.Sorry about that.

I was referring to the situation that the Attacker is of a larger size, for example a colossal creature with a colossal machine gun with autofire 10 can only cover a 2m x 10 = 20 meters firing line in the current rules,a minuscule amount for someone that tall.Maybe i will stick with Matt's solution of megascaling according to size :)

I don't like it. Growth shouldn't come with a free AoE. The character should buy the AoE Proportional to the amount of Growth he's using.

Growth (the power) does have the cost of AoE for Strength built in. In a campaign where HTH combat was rare, it might make sense to eliminate that element, reducing the cost of Growth (or the size template) accordingly. Then you could use the saved points to buy up-sized ranged weaponry with AoE built in.

depends on how they bought being so big

if they went the growth route then you have size mods to help out with hitting

If they went with Stretching, KB resistance and SFX ,then you have range mods and lots of shots hitting areas that are not vital

shooting a .45 at a blue whale is not going to do much unless you hit in the eye

depends on how they bought being so big

if they went the growth route then you have size mods to help out with hitting

If they went with Stretching, KB resistance and SFX ,then you have range mods and lots of shots hitting areas that are not vital

shooting a .45 at a blue whale is not going to do much unless you hit in the eye

My original post was referring to attackers of big or small size, for example lets say my character is in the colossal class of size(lets assume 130 meters tall) and uses a laser beam weapon that is not AoE and has Autofire 5,with the current rules if in front of him are 5 enemies of normal size(2m tall) who are standing on a 20 meters line he can not hit them all because with an autofire 5 attack you can cover an 5 x 2m = 10m line at most,which is ok for a human size attacker but minuscule for such a giant.Even the Accurate Sprayfire referred above does not change that because it offsets the penalty for the firing arc length and not the limitation.

On the opposite of it it's too much for a insectile character to be able to cover such a distance with his autofire attack,so my question was how to integrate the size of the attacker in combat on that situations.

My original post was referring to attackers of big or small size, for example lets say my character is in the colossal class of size(lets assume 130 meters tall) and uses a laser beam weapon that is not AoE and has Autofire 5,with the current rules if in front of him are 5 enemies of normal size(2m tall) who are standing on a 20 meters line he can not hit them all because with an autofire 5 attack you can cover an 5 x 2m = 10m line at most,which is ok for a human size attacker but minuscule for such a giant.Even the Accurate Sprayfire referred above does not change that because it offsets the penalty for the firing arc length and not the limitation.

On the opposite of it it's too much for a insectile character to be able to cover such a distance with his autofire attack,so my question was how to integrate the size of the attacker in combat on that situations.

I really see only two solutions:

1) The player just has to work aroudn it. You can always use Multiattack instead of Autofire. The VSG (very small guy) could propably do it with an extra Limitation, or it could be part of the Small Size Limitation.

2) Gigantic or Diminituive are the new "normal". In fact you could do such stuff by delcaring different Size Categories as different "Dimensions". So somebody on Microspace has "his" 2m wich mean something different than the 2m on Macrospace or Normal Space.

I think this is a problem of managing expectations. A huge character is not working on a different scale to a normal sized character. Something that is 50m away from a huge character is just as difficult to hit as something 50m away from a normal sized character. Someone who is 200 metres tall does not automatically have attacks that are 100 times wider than a character who is normal sized, and giants do not automatically find it easier to hit opponents who are spaced out (geographically or pharmaceutically) than their smaller brethren. Or sistren.

If it makes 'in-game' sense that a 200 metre tall character's laser blast covers an entire city block, buy AoE for it, don't house rule for the colossal. You know, unless you really want to.

There is nothing technically wrong, by which I mean nothing that breaches the rules, in having a 200m tall character who is no easier to hit or see than a normal sized character. You just don't buy the relevant 'size' complication. I mean, it would be silly, and I very much doubt I would allow it BUT it is technically possible.

Now I acknowledge that autofire might seem, well, difficult, as it works on a 'set' scale related to metres, but I would probably allow you to buy megascale and apply it to the gaps. That sounds legal enough. That comes with baggage - if you do that the character may have problems hitting targets that are too close together!

There is almost certainly a way of building what you want (it may cost a lot...) without changing the basic rules.