Creating a Wheel of Time Magic System with the Hero System.

BhelliomRahl

I am looking to run a Wheel of Time game and need to create a magic system for it. Looking for some suggestions on how to do this.

Below is what I have so far:

Talent:

These talents must be taken during character creation.

20pts - Wielder of the One Power – Saidin - Born (Male)

20pts - Wielder of the One Power – Saidar – Born (Female)

15pts - Wielder of the One Power – Saidin – Trained (Male)

15pts - Wielder of the One Power – Saidar – Trained (Female)

10pts - Affinity – Air

10pts - Affinity - Earth

10pts - Affinity – Fire

10pts - Affinity – Spirit

10pts - Affinity – Water

20pts – Detect Channeling (Only same Sex)– Unusual Sense Group; 360º, Discriminatory, Range and Tracking; Extra Time – Full Phase

5pts – See Weaves (Same Sex Only) – See Weaves – Sight Group; Discriminatory

5pts – Know Channeler (Female Only) – Detect Female Channeler – Sight Group

Skill:

3/2pts - Weaving – Roll required to weave/cast spells.

3/2pts – KS: One Power – Knowledge of One Power

3/2pts – SS: Weave – Used to study weaves; create new and learn from observation.

3/2pts – Inverting the Weave – Ability to conceal weave from perception other than Channelers – Lost Art.

Powers:

Virtual Variable Point Pool – This will be bought at variable levels to represent power and control in the One Power.

Value Rating vVPP Total

10 Feeble 25 AP

15 Weak 50 AP

20 Average 75 AP

25 Strong 100 AP

30 Elite 125 AP – This level and below can only be taken with Channeler of the One Power - Born

35 Legendary 150 AP

40+ 200 AP

Endurance Researve - Varaible size but with Limitation Slow Recovery 6hrs (-2.1/2) - Can use personal instead but suffer 1d6 Stun for each point used. Takes 6hrs to recover what is used. Character is Draining his life force.

Weaves (Spells):

Characters will learn weaves as the game progresses (Starting with INT/5) with Study, Observation and perhaps instinct (Soul Memory). They will not pay for them directly.

Casting Weaves:

Once the weave is selected the player makes a Weaving skill roll (-1 per 10AP) to cast the weave.

If the character has Affinity for all Elements of the spell the skill roll is -1 per 20AP, however is they have no affinities for weave it -1 per 5AP.

I am unsure if I should work affinities as this or just do them as do them each as a +2 Skill Levels for the skill roll and +2CSL(5pt for each affinity.)

-----------------------------------------------------

This is the basic concept for my magic system, what do people think and how can I improve it?

Re: Creating a Wheel of Time Magic System with the Hero System.

What level of campaign you looking to run and how many points you planning on giving players to build their characters with.

What you are missing, for me, is a but of writing that explains how the magic works - it is not going to be like the books coz games are not like books.

So. If I am a player wanting to have a man who can cast spells in the reasonably decent end of the spectrum do I need to buy:

a 20 point talent

one or two 10 point affinities

a 20 point detect

a 25 point VPP

a 5 point sight group

possibly a 11 point skill (if it is to be useful)

and an endurance reserve

That easily tops out at 100 points which doesn't leave much for a heroic level character for stats and skills...

Is it your intention that those who use the One Power are worse than everyone else at other things?

Just my knee-jerk response. Looks like a lotta points up front...

Doc

What level of campaign you looking to run and how many points you planning on giving players to build their characters with.

What you are missing, for me, is a but of writing that explains how the magic works - it is not going to be like the books coz games are not like books.

Playing The Wheel of Time using HERO and a Variable Power Pool system actually comes so close to the books it's kinda scary. I've done a couple of different Wheel of Time campaigns in Hero and I'm always amazed at how well The One Power turns out using VPP.

There has been a ton of discussion on these message boards in years past. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find all the relevant threads fairly easily.

Playing The Wheel of Time using HERO and a Variable Power Pool system actually comes so close to the books it's kinda scary. I've done a couple of different Wheel of Time campaigns in Hero and I'm always amazed at how well The One Power turns out using VPP.

There has been a ton of discussion on these message boards in years past. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find all the relevant threads fairly easily.

I did the same thing along time ago. I required a 1 point familiarity for each with with advantages or limitations. Then let the character do whatever basic abilities as just part of the power

PS: the irony is our own Steven S Long was one of the writters for WoTC's Wheel of Time

I noticed that myself, one of the reasons I posted the question was that I was hoping to get some ideas from him.

-------------------------------------

I did a search for Wheel of Time on the Forum and nothing came up.

I doubt he would. I noticed when he gave away all the free star trek stuff he kept it in the star trek system. There may be legal considerations (I'm not a a lawyer but he is so I am sure he would know).

I definitly think hero would be better for WoT though as D20 was a very bad fit.

Man those discussions were great. Long ago. Still never completely satisfied myself in that arena. Too many variables to account for. A VPP is the closest, easiest method.

Steve Long mentioned once or twice that he does not care for the Wheel of Time setting, so I doubt he would be too interested in modeling it in Hero. On the other hand, if you have Fantasy Hero, take a look at The Gift sample magic system. That is also pretty darn close. If I were to build a pseudo-WoT campaign, the Gift would most certainly be how I would model the channeling system. Or at least I would start there.

And keep in mind that some things, like Balefire, are nigh impossible to buy with points. I forget how many hundreds of Active Points were required to "get it right."

Endurance Researve - Varaible size but with Limitation Slow Recovery 6hrs (-2.1/2) - Can use personal instead but suffer 1d6 Stun for each point used. Takes 6hrs to recover what is used. Character is Draining his life force.
They weren't using their life force. They were tempting fate with having the ability burned out of them.