Social Club of Outstanding Adventurers (or some less absurd)

MisterVimes

Social Club of Outstanding Adventurers (or some less absurd name)

So, last night I had a small dinner party with my girlfriend and two other couples. Two of the men and one of the women are in my gaming group. We three men retired to the front porch and the conversation turned to the HERO game that I want to run. My group has very little experience with Hero, but I handed the rules to one of them and he's been reading them for a few weeks and he loves HERO. The other guy is always skeptical and he had a bad experience with a bad GM that ran HERO. He also has no real interest in a Champions game. The rest of the players have great faith that I will run something entertaining, but these two guys are the ones I typically have to sell -- they contribute a lot to my games as players and they fill critical leadership roles (even if that is to play the Lieutenant or the Rebel in the structure of the group dynamic).

Anyway, the Skeptic says: "Now, if it was Pulp Game..." and I jumped on it and (bless him) the guy who has been reading the rules says: "That's the beauty! With HERO you can do anything!"

My brain was spinning fast and I said: "Pulp Era bordering on the Golden Age. Late 1930s." They both turned to me and say: "Do we get to fight Nazis?" and I knew I had them.

I try to be a good GM and never force things down the throats of my players. So, here I am with a Pulp/GAC campaign on my lap and my other material on the back burner.

I need your input and here is what I have so far:

• League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets the Pulps -- Sort of similar with what Planetary did with the Society and the pastiches of Doc Savage, Tarzan, et al.
  • I need a list of archetypes for the players (i.e. Jungle Lord/Lady, Master of Men, Rocket Ranger, Two Fisted Scientist, etc)
  • Tropes that would be appropriate to the period and maintain some credibility (i.e. Dinosaur islands, Lost cities, Nazi moon missions, Arkham Horror, etc)

In this way I want to run a Champions game (with all the benefits of that genre) that feels like a Pulp Hero game (and all the benefits of that genre) and explore all the really cool things that world has to offer.

Last note: What are your thoughts on having a Fu Manchu "villain" (Sax Rohmer convinced me long ago that his villain was no different than any other imperialist) on the team in the same manner that Captain Nemo was in the LoEG?

Re: Social Club of Outstanding Adventurers (or some less absurd)

You seem to have done most of the heavy lifting already but I'll try to contribute.

The Pulp Fiction Genre has a wealth of information to draw on for both archetypes and tropes. A decent list of Pulp characters from this genre can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_magazine and includes the likes of Doc Savage, Tarzan (both you mentioned), John Carter (in theaters as I write this), the Shadow, the Phantom, and Zorro. I would not have an issue with a Fu Manchu type character and in fact he is also on the list. I think you also can't have a discussion of 1930s fiction without mentioning Indiana Jones. Many of these character's could be used as a model for an archetype, which you have already partially done with your budding list of archetypes.

In terms of sci-fi/ and fantasy, this time period may contain aspects that have been described as Dieselpunk (a sub-genre of Steampunk taking place during the Industrial Age, 1920-1945). I would model some of the imagery and atmosphere on this genre. You seem to have already considered this with a Rocket Ranger archetype. Reference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk#Dieselpunk

This time period is also considered by some to also be the Golden Age of monster movies. Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, the Mummy, and the Invisible Man all made their Universal Studios premiers during the 30s. These types of monsters, given a proper champions treatment, could all make great foes for your heroes. Reference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Monsters

Even your list of tropes is a strong start with stuff like WWII and Horror. Here is a reference for more stuff you may wish to include, such as famous disasters like the Hindenburg explosion in New Jersey and the Great Depression http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1930s .

I hope that helps a little. It sounds like it is going to be a fun game to play in.

You seem to have done most of the heavy lifting already but I'll try to contribute.

The Pulp Fiction Genre has a wealth of information to draw on for both archetypes and tropes. A decent list of Pulp characters from this genre can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_magazine and includes the likes of Doc Savage, Tarzan (both you mentioned), John Carter (in theaters as I write this), the Shadow, the Phantom, and Zorro. I would not have an issue with a Fu Manchu type character and in fact he is also on the list. I think you also can't have a discussion of 1930s fiction without mentioning Indiana Jones. Many of these character's could be used as a model for an archetype, which you have already partially done with your budding list of archetypes.

The Skeptic has a man crush on Indiana Jones and I feel that this was his impetus for suggesting pulp -- and he knows how much I love pulp.

In terms of sci-fi/ and fantasy' date=' this time period may contain aspects that have been described as Dieselpunk (a sub-genre of Steampunk taking place during the Industrial Age, 1920-1945). I would model some of the imagery and atmosphere on this genre. You seem to have already considered this with a Rocket Ranger archetype. Reference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk#Dieselpunk[/quote']

Yes. I happened up on Dieselpunk (oh William Gibson, what have you wrought with all the punk punk?) on tvtropes and had a good read. I appreciate the additional resource

This time period is also considered by some to also be the Golden Age of monster movies. Dracula' date=' Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, the Mummy, and the Invisible Man all made their Universal Studios premiers during the 30s. These types of monsters, given a proper champions treatment, could all make great foes for your heroes. Reference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Monsters[/quote']

Good thought. James Whale's Frankenstein is a great view of the Hollywood psyche as it relates to the bleeding edge of science at the time and artificial humans (the GA Human Torch comes to mind) play into that.

Even your list of tropes is a strong start with stuff like WWII and Horror. Here is a reference for more stuff you may wish to include, such as famous disasters like the Hindenburg explosion in New Jersey and the Great Depression http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1930s .

I hope that helps a little. It sounds like it is going to be a fun game to play in.

It was fantastic help. Thank you.

Thank you. It's in the mail -- slowly crawling its way across North America. :)

I can give you a short summary:

They tend much more towards Skills, Perks and Talents than outright powers. The most expansive example power is Animal Epathy with 20, but most are bourght (with heavy limitations in the -1 to -3 area) down to around 10.

They tend to have more training/history/contracts than the average superhero.

They tended to work allone/with small support staff.

From the description I think Bob Morane (had an animated series, might find stuff on youtube) is a pulp hero.

I can give you a short summary:

They tend much more towards Skills, Perks and Talents than outright powers. The most expansive example power is Animal Epathy with 20, but most are bourght (with heavy limitations in the -1 to -3 area) down to around 10.

They tend to have more training/history/contracts than the average superhero.

They tended to work allone/with small support staff.

So, basically, Justice Inc. That's what I figured. I'm a list maker and I do well with stacks of notes to remind me what tropes I want to use and I am trying to introduce a team dynamic ebfore it became accepted (with Golden Age Heroes). It's an experiment, we'll see how it goes.

Last note: What are your thoughts on having a Fu Manchu "villain" (Sax Rohmer convinced me long ago that his villain was no different than any other imperialist) on the team in the same manner that Captain Nemo was in the LoEG?

Worked pretty well in Planetary, from what little we saw of Hark and the Society. I'd say go for it.

Let me start by throwing out links to a number of free online resources, particularly emphasizing HERO pulp gaming, which may be of use to you. Note that all the websites below are archived, so you may have to click on the "Impatient?" link on the page that first appears to see them:

The Pulp Avengers is the pithiest online essay I've seen dealing with the nature of pulp, particularly as it relates to gaming. You might also benefit from this classic pulp campaign website, The Empire Club. The descriptions of numerous pro- and antagonists, and the extensive campaign logs, provide quite a broad cross-section of the range of pulp characters and adventures.

A number of HERO pulp fans created their own campaign websites over the years, with a variety of archetypal PCs and NPCs from diverse backgrounds and with varying power levels (fully statted for 5E HERO), plus adventure logs. Looking at them may give you ideas for your own characters and games.

The Odyssey League

Thrilling True Tales

Amazing Adventures!

Including PDFs, Hero Games has actually published more settings, resources, and adventures for pulp than any other game company. You can view the selection in the Online Store on this webpage. Although the great majority of these were written for Fifth Edition, for the pulp genre there's not much difference between them rules-wise. Moreover, all the items in the Hero Games store written for Fifth are now half-price, including the PDFs, making checking them out dirt-cheap.

Let me start by throwing out links to a number of free online resources, particularly emphasizing HERO pulp gaming, which may be of use to you. Note that all the websites below are archived, so you may have to click on the "Impatient?" link on the page that first appears to see them:

The Pulp Avengers is the pithiest online essay I've seen dealing with the nature of pulp, particularly as it relates to gaming. You might also benefit from this classic pulp campaign website, The Empire Club. The descriptions of numerous pro- and antagonists, and the extensive campaign logs, provide quite a broad cross-section of the range of pulp characters and adventures.

A number of HERO pulp fans created their own campaign websites over the years, with a variety of archetypal PCs and NPCs from diverse backgrounds and with varying power levels (fully statted for 5E HERO), plus adventure logs. Looking at them may give you ideas for your own characters and games.

The Odyssey League

Thrilling True Tales

Amazing Adventures!

Including PDFs, Hero Games has actually published more settings, resources, and adventures for pulp than any other game company. You can view the selection in the Online Store on this webpage. Although the great majority of these were written for Fifth Edition, for the pulp genre there's not much difference between them rules-wise. Moreover, all the items in the Hero Games store written for Fifth are now half-price, including the PDFs, making checking them out dirt-cheap.

LL, you always come through for me. I have all the really old Justice Inc edition and the related material from the period. I do not, however, have much of the 5th Ed pulp (so, very good call there). And while I am intimately familiar with the pulps and the period, resources are very welcome and this is a treasure trove. Much thanks.

I have some non-hero sourcebooks as well that I need to mine, FGU's "Daredevils" comes to mind, it had deck plans for zeppelins. Thrilling Tales for Savage Worlds is also a handy pocket-sized resource.

My rough archetype list for general consumption (likely to be refined):

1. Ace of Aces - G8, Sky Captain
  2. Daring Acrobat - Daredevil
  3. Fortune Hunter - Indiana Jones
  4. Heavyweight Champ - Wildcat
  5. Investigative Reporter - Lois Lane
  6. Jungle Lord\Lady - Tarzan, Sheena
  7. Masked Rider of the Plains - Lone Ranger, Zorro
  8. Master of Men - Shadow, Spider, Crimson Avenger
  9. Mystery Men - Batman, Sandman, Green Hornet
  10. Occult Investigator - Moris Klaw, Carnacki
  11. Rocket Ranger - Rocketeer, Commando Cody
  12. Secret Agent - Agent X
  13. Two Fisted Gadgeteer - Doc Savage, the Avenger

Looking over what LL provided, I have to say that "Thrilling True Tales" appears to be heading exactly in the direction I was aiming for, much thanks for that. Pulp Avengers was invaluable and, since the website is a ghost in the machine, I converted it to pdf for those who would like to print it or send it to a mobile device for later reading. (see attached)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42353[/ATTACH]

For cowboys, there were a number of John Wayne, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry movies set in modern (for the times). Many areas of the west was still fairly wild. Remember, that was the time when city dwellers was first starting to outnumber country dwellers in America.

For cowboys' date=' there were a number of John Wayne, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry movies set in modern (for the times). Many areas of the west was still fairly wild. Remember, that was the time when city dwellers was first starting to outnumber country dwellers in America.[/quote']

Definitely aiming at the Gene Autry/Phantom Empire, G-Men of the Prairie, and Vigilante (Greg Saunders) pulp cowboy.

Here's a link to the Golden Age campaign that my wife ran for us...

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/64601-Chronicles-of-the-Agency-(Golden-Age)

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Also, I'm happy to see that everyone appears to have chosen "Rocket Ranger" :D

Updated list. Can anyone think of any I am missing? I am wondering is some variation on Gangster-with-a-Heart-of-Gold (Gloves Donahue) is appropriate.

[table=width: 100%]

[tr]

[td] Archetype [/td][td] Sub-Genre [/td][td] Example(s) [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Ace of Aces [/td][td] Air [/td][td] G8, Phantom Ace, Sky Captain [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Ace Reporter [/td][td] Detective [/td][td] Lois Lane, Polly Perkins, Buzz Benson [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Cowboy Vigilante [/td][td] Western [/td][td] Greg (Vigilante) Saunders, Gene Autry [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Daring Acrobat [/td][td] Sports [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Eastern Mastermind [/td][td] Villain [/td][td] Fu Manchu, [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Foreign Investigator [/td][td] Detective [/td][td] Mr. Moto, Charlie Chan [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Government Agent [/td][td] Espionage [/td][td] Secret Agent X [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Heavyweight Champ [/td][td] Sports [/td][td] Sailor Steve, Wildcat [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Jungle Lord/Lady [/td][td] Jungle [/td][td] Tarzan, Ka-Zar, Sheena [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Master of Men [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] Shadow, Spider [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Master of Mysticism [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] Green Lama, Mandrake, Zatara [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Mystery Man [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] Batman, Sandman, Spirit [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Occult Detective [/td][td] Detective [/td][td] Moris Klaw, Carnacki [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Private Eye [/td][td] Detective [/td][td] Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Rocket Ranger [/td][td] Air [/td][td] Commando Cody, Rocketeer [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Super Soldier [/td][td] Action [/td][td] Captain America, Hugo Danner [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Treasure Hunter [/td][td] Action [/td][td] Indiana Jones, Alan Quartermain [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Two-Fisted Scientist [/td][td] Action [/td][td] Doc Savage, The Avenger [/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

And the skeleton of my plotlines

[table]

[tr]

[td] Title [/td][td] Genre [/td][td] [/td][td] Setting [/td][td] Villains [/td][td] Plot Points [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Hidden Empire [/td][td] Lost World [/td][td] [/td][td] Antarctica [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Iron City Ghosts [/td][td] Mystery [/td][td] [/td][td] Birmingham, AL [/td][td] KKK [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Spear of Destiny [/td][td] Action [/td][td] [/td][td] Jordan [/td][td] Nazis [/td][td] Spear of Longinus [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Death Puzzle [/td][td] Mystery [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Corsairs of the Skyways [/td][td] Air [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] A Game of Scarlet [/td][td] Mystery [/td][td] [/td][td] London, UK [/td][td] The Scarlet Society [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Radium Claw [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] The Radium Claw [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Hades Machine [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] Doctor Lucifer [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Lucifer Legion [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] Doctor Lucifer [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Moon Myster [/td][td] Sci-Fi [/td][td] [/td][td] Moon [/td][td] Nazis [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Glass Island [/td][td] Lost World [/td][td] [/td][td] Dinosaur Island [/td][td] Nazis [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Murder City [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] [/td][td] Chicago, IL [/td][td] The Ragged Man [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Purple Emperor [/td][td] Mystery [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Salem Seven [/td][td] Horror [/td][td] [/td][td] New England [/td][td] Cultists [/td][td] Lovecraftian [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Invisible Mask [/td][td] Crimefighter [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] The Invisible Mask [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] A Thousand Chinese Devils [/td][td] Espionage [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Warlord of the Deep [/td][td] Action [/td][td] [/td][td] South Pacific [/td][td] [/td][td] Submarines [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Night of the Scorpion [/td][td] Lost World/Western [/td][td] [/td][td] Southwest, USA [/td][td] Aztecs [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] The Savage Shadow [/td][td] Mystery [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td] Terror After Tomorrow [/td][td] Action [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td]

[/tr]

[/table]