Gremlins

quozaxx

Recently I asked Mr. Long the following question:

I have a thought provoking question. In the original 1984 movie Gremlins, the main character Gizmo can duplicate when he gets wet. In the original movie, he produced 5 Mogwai (later to be called Gremlins after they eat after midnight).

I figured Gizmo's (being the base character) Duplication at 31 points. Given that each Mogwai/Gremlin can Duplicate and should pay for the original cost of Duplication AND the cost of Duplication again per the rules. (again assuming 5 duplicates per Gremlin / Mogwai). How much extra should the Gremlins cost?

Also, should Gizmo's Duplication be a 25% Duplication considering that the produced Mogwai are so much different in personality than Gizmo?

I'm thinking the later question is a “no” since each Duplicate can have it's own personality.

His response was

If the only difference between them is personality/Psychological Complications, there's no need for the Advantage that allows them to be different.

As for how much they should cost -- sorry, I'm not going to run the math. Math scares me. :eek:;)

So I was wonder if anyone else would like to do the math? Note: I figured the original Gizmo at 132 total points, (Skills, Powers, Complication, etc), which is how I came up with the Duplication cost of 31 points. So is anyone out there up to the challenge?

Re: Gremlins

The problem with either Duplication or Summon is both have limits' date=' and the ability (as has been pointed out) seems to be unlimited.[/quote']

The ability is also the main plot enabling force.

Trying to measure how many Gremlins one Gremlin can (re-)produce is like trying to figure out Supermans STR value by looking at incarnations all over comicbook history - a total waste of time.

This game system can't model "reproduction by water", because any mechanic for that would make summon unbalanced.

When in doubt a sufficiently high limit might be close enough to no limit taht we just don't need to bother. And since each gremlin can summon other gremlins, the grwoth will be exponential anyawy.

How about 256 (8 doublings) with limited amount of summoning/time? The original (whats his name) can craete 256 Gremlins per storyline. Each of them can produce 256 as well. And we are already at 65.536 plus 256 plus 1

Re: Gremlins

I am not certain, but maybe Summoend beigns can't summon on thier own. But a thought experiment a while ago gives a solution even for that:

In one Epsiode of the newer H-Men Cartoon, one of Skeletors guys had a device to controll little mago-technical creatures. Each time on creature died, it pulled a Fantasia Broomstick an duplcaited.

Solution:

One little Summon with lots and lots of doublings, Trigger (when Summoned being dies), Limtiation (only adds two beings per use), Focus (the remote).