In consideration of partial effect dispel

Narf the Mouse

I've been messing around with the idea of spell defenses that blunt the power of a spell - For example, a Damage Shield Constant Dispel Spells, Simultaneously. As Dispel normally works, this is essentially useless against any significant threat.

OTOH, with a Partial Effect custom advantage, it could take a bit of the edge off of incoming spells.

However, I can't quite brain around whether that works as a valid advantage for Dispel, what level of warning it would have (it certainly would have one, even if allowed) or what its value might be - So, what do you think?

Re: In consideration of partial effect dispel

I've been messing around with the idea of spell defenses that blunt the power of a spell - For example' date=' a Damage Shield Constant Dispel Spells, Simultaneously.[/quote']

It sounds like you're trying to re-invent Damage Negation or Damage Reduction.

Is something wrong with using Suppress?

...I'm overthinking it!

Hmm...Suppress is Drain with Constant and Costs Endurance, right?

That means Drain can do "reduce powers".

...There's some example powers in Martial Hero (using that as an example because I'm reading through it) which use powers in ways their right-ups don't support.

So I guess you can just do that.

Bleh, brainz.

Thing is' date=' those work against Physical, Energy or Mental [i']Damage[/i]. Not against "Spells in general".

Well, you seem to be comparing game mechanics to a campaign special effect. Easy enough, just allow characters to purchase custom versions of Drain/Suppress, Damage Reduction or Damage Negation that work against anything defined as "spells".

Well' date=' you seem to be comparing game mechanics to a campaign special effect. Easy enough, just allow characters to purchase custom versions of Drain/Suppress, Damage Reduction or Damage Negation that work against anything defined as "spells".[/quote']

*Points to above post*

Thanks; was heading in that direction. :)

You seem to have already gotten there, but in my game, a simple 1-hex continuous suppress does the job (possibly with personal immunity). It's expensive enough that it will stop relatively few spells, but it will take the edge off them and that may be all you need. Alternatively, you can use dispel, but set it up on a trigger - magical attack vs target, so that it "counterspells".

cheers, Mark

Drain can't affect incoming effects.

Actually, it can:

APG I has the Interference Action, but that requires a held action or a Trigger*.

I don't see why we could not apply the rules for "Dispellign incomming Attacks" for Drain. It would only affect the Attack "in flight" and not the target itself (so only that attack is lowered). Again we need a held action or Trigger*.

*Damage Shield can't interfere with the attack, they do the damage after the hit. Only a trigger can "intercept" an attack without any action on the characters part.

But overall I wonder if this isn't more like having Damage Negation against Magic?