Champions Villains 3: Solo Villains Kickstarter is LIVE

JamesG

Guest dan2448

Re: Champions Villains 3: Solo Villains Kickstarter is LIVE

The current market for new Champions (and other Hero System) projects via Kickstarter is becoming more clear now, I think.

Book of the Empress raised $15,660 from 217 backers. Excluding the one generous person who pledged $2,000 (or more) for Steve Long to fly in and personally run a game (a price that, given its magnitude, is clearly more about personal services than the book itself), that's $13,660 with an average pledge of $63.

Champions Live Action raised $9,368 from 131 backers. If you take out the one generous person who pledged $2,500 (for a personal LARP game), that's an average of $53 apiece for a total of $6,868.

Mythic Hero raised $25,784 from 284 backers. If you except the one person who pledged $2,000 (or more) for Steve to fly out and personally run a game, that's $23,784 with an average pledge of $84.

Champions Villains Vol. 3 has raised $14, 255 from 162 backers (an average pledge of $88), with a couple of days still left.

If I were a 3rd party considering trying to publish a new Champions book via Kickstarter now, I'd be asking myself what I could do with roughly $15K from approximately 200 backers. Based on Steve Long's description of the costs associated with researching, writing, laying out, commissioning artwork, printing, and distributing the proposed Mythic Hero, the answer might be "not much." (I'd also be asking myself whether I would have a reasonable chance of raising even that kind of money if my name wasn't Steve Long or Darren Watts.)

I am an enthusiastic backer of this project, and would back other future ones. But these financial results suggest to me that there may be only two categories of potential Champions (or other Hero System) publications that may be viable in this way: (i) printing (or re-printing) already produced material (like "Empress" and "Villains vol 3"), or (ii) publishing material without any expectation of ever earning much (if any) profit, using Kickstarter only to raise the actual out-of-pocket costs of book production and publication, i.e. a labor of love.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dan2448

23 hours left and just under a grand to go to get APG 2 reprinted.

I am really excited that this Kickstarter has been funded. I'm a backer. But I must admit that I don't have the same enthusiasm about the AGP 2, since it is currently available on both ebay and Amazon. Is there really an unmet need for that book right now compared to others, perhaps most notably the Champions genre book, and maybe the 6e Character Creation core book?

To the extent that my support of this Kickstarter is also going to fund the long-term survival of the game (and the system, and the company), my preference (from the outside) would be that surplus funds be put toward the re-printing of those (theoretically life-giving, high demand) books.

I am really excited that this Kickstarter has been funded. I'm a backer. But I must admit that I don't have the same enthusiasm about the AGP 2' date=' since it is currently available on both ebay and Amazon. Is there really an unmet need for that book (compared to others, perhaps most notably the Champions genre book, and maybe the 6e Character Creation core book)?[/quote']

I imagine that's what this stretch goal will help determine.

It's still early in the Kickstarter world for Hero; still a lot of unknowns.

Guest dan2448

It's still early in the Kickstarter world for Hero; still a lot of unknowns.

Your generous enthusiasm is contagious, Zen Archer. (If only there were more of you.) I'm afraid that I'm a little less optimistic that there are still a lot of (potentially favorable) unknowns, as applied to funding via Kickstarter anyway. Granted there are only a handful of data points so far. But they're pretty tightly clustered and I'm not convinced that the passage of time will improve those financial figures.

• 1 month later...