A character that calls to him/herself a sword and changes form

tcabril

I know this is an odd question but I am not sure if I am missing something.

I am working on NPCs for my Champions game that I hope to get running soon (will be my first) and besides writting up a bunch of generic NPCs (cops, robbers, and others) I am working on some super-powered NPCs to give my PCs a hard time.

One of the ideas I have is a "Lady Death" like character - she is normal one moment then can change into a demonic form (ala succubus) with wings and a magical sword.

I figure the first part is SHAPE CHANGE but how do I do the sword?

Do I figure it into the cost of the Shape Change or do I just assume that it "appears" when the NPC changes form? Also if I wanted the character to "call forth" the sword without shape changing - can that be done and if so - how?

Thanks! This has been bugging me.

Todd

Re: A character that calls to him/herself a sword and changes form

Typically a change like this is bought as only in alternate id-think He-man cartoon. (And you get a cost break too!). The sword can magically appear when she shape-shifts. Just remeber though, if she wants to use a power through her sword, she has to buy it. I.e. she could have a 10D6 blast(ed) called hell blast that is from the sword, no problem, she just has to pay for it. And another pointto keep in mind, just because the sfx is sword, doesn't necessarly means that the sword has to take a focus limitation for it either. I'm sure you heard the mantra, reason from effect, and its true. But another thing to keep in mind (I think) is what is the combat effects you want in the game? Example I designed a belt once for a game which typically is designed as OIF, but I bought it as OAF so it could be grabbed in combat easier.

I think you should figure out which powers are available only in the demonic form and buy them with the Limitation "Only in Alternate ID." Sounds like Flight (the wings) and a (Killing?) Attack (the sword) would be on that list.

For the sword, ask yourself - can it be taken away from the character? If not, or if it's not easy, then even if it looks like a sword, it's not a Focus.

Lucius Alexander

Only in Palindromedery ID

Just to muddle the waters even futher (but I swear I am getting this...)

So if the True Form is Demon - I build that as a 400cp character (with wings and other stuff) and additionally spend 20cp for a 100pt "normal" person form?

If I wanted the Normal person to also call up the sword (lets say the sword is worth 50cps) then the Normal would cost 150cps and cost the demon 7cps?

If the True form has Demonic traits (such as wings/flight - prehensile tail, horns and breath fire (blast)) would those be OIAID or not?

Actually I goofed - it would not be Shape Shift (or as I had it - Shape Shift :P ) it would be Multiform...

Maybe, maybe not. If the Lady Death form has access to all the abilities of the base form, plus its own abilities, then those extra abilities should be purchased with, "Only in Alternate ID." If the two forms are different enough to require different character sheets, then Multiform is the better choice.

Actually I goofed - it would not be Shape Shift (or as I had it - Shape Shift :P ) it would be Multiform...

Glad you goofed, because it help me to clairify in my mind the difference betwen the two and I have a character I need to update with this dilema. :)

So if the True Form is Demon - I build that as a 400cp character (with wings and other stuff) and additionally spend 20cp for a 100pt "normal" person form?

If I wanted the Normal person to also call up the sword (lets say the sword is worth 50cps) then the Normal would cost 150cps and cost the demon 7cps?

If the True form has Demonic traits (such as wings/flight - prehensile tail, horns and breath fire (blast)) would those be OIAID or not?

Also look at Complications. A few Complications may apply only in one form or the other (Distinctive Looks would be Easily Concealable) and that works with "Only in Alternate ID" Powers, but if the two forms are very different in Complications, that's another indication one should use Multiform.

edit:

If you go with Multiform, you should NOT use OIAID. The two are alternatives to one another.

If the demonic form can do everything the normal form can, PLUS, then Only in Alternate ID is a good choice.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to Multiform into an identical palindromedary

Multiform:

Use it when the complications and/or major parts of the build change (one form is Permanent Grown). Also if the Body/Stun/Endurance tital between the forms are very different (10/20 Body, for example), or there are relevant alteration in Characteristics and/or Skills.

Also use it if you have more than two forms.

Use it only if you need both sheets regulary for game purposes. When the heroes will in 95% only encounter her demon form and her human form can't do anything of relevance, just built the demon form. Her human guise would just be the special effect behind her Secret Identity Complication.

If one form is the "Combat Form", use the other as the true form. Even if "technically" she is a demon that takes human disguise, for the ruleside make the human the True Form. Asuming equally strong forms (400 point/400 points), whoever is the Ruleside True Form is the weaker one because it has to pay the price for Multiform.

OIAID:

This is what you use when she mostly adds abilities in her demonic form, without loosing many of her human form abilities.

Use it if the normal character is mostly harmless/low powered and gains a lot by the transformation.

It is simpler than having the two sheets of Multiform, but also less point effective. Depending on the Amount of power limited, this can create a hard to read sheet quickly.

Shape Shift/Multipower:

When you have a Multipower and put shape Shift and most Combat Abilities in it, you can archieve a similair effect to OIAID - using the Shape Shift locks out most other powers (because there are in the Multipower). None of those inside the MP recieve any Limitation for that, but all the powers outside the Multipower still can take OIAID.

For either approach and Complications:

If any Complciation is only posessed by one form, lower the Frequency.

Example: If the Character Transforms from a paraplegic Human into walking and flying Demon, he propably should take Distinctive Features and Paraplegic at a lower level for the respecitive form. The Character can avoid either complication simply by switching forms.

Contacts:

Some game Elements (like Contacts) have different mechanics for "only in one ID". Look up if they have a fitting modifier.

I know this is an odd question but I am not sure if I am missing something.

I am working on NPCs for my Champions game that I hope to get running soon (will be my first) and besides writting up a bunch of generic NPCs (cops, robbers, and others) I am working on some super-powered NPCs to give my PCs a hard time.

One of the ideas I have is a "Lady Death" like character - she is normal one moment then can change into a demonic form (ala succubus) with wings and a magical sword.

I figure the first part is SHAPE CHANGE but how do I do the sword?

Do I figure it into the cost of the Shape Change or do I just assume that it "appears" when the NPC changes form? Also if I wanted the character to "call forth" the sword without shape changing - can that be done and if so - how?

Thanks! This has been bugging me.

Todd

from what you say I hear "Instant change" the rest is SFX....