Hero Designer 3 die roller ported to Android?

While I've tried numerous die rolling programs in my nearly 35 years of RPG's, none have been as great as the one included in HD3. Nothing even comes close. I don't recall who the author of that program was although I'm pretty sure it was not Dan Simon.

I was wondering if that unnamed genius might consider reworking it as an Android app? I would happily pay several dollars to be able to run that on my Kindle; and every member of my gaming group with a smart phone concurs.

Re: Hero Designer 3 die roller ported to Android?

There is a dice roller for Android caller, um, Dice Roller (by Dave Terhune - there are quite a dew 'Dice Roller' apps) which is pretty damn good and does dice for various systems, including Hero, and it will calculate Body on rolls too. I'd recommend that for any Android user. There is also one by Andrew Louth called Dice Bag which is pretty good, and lets you set up 'presets' which is handy, but it does not calculate Hero Body.

I have not found one yet that will roll dice and put them in order for explosions though.

I know there are other die rollers out there - half our group uses Dice Bag - but mostly I'm hoping somebody might port the one in HD3 over to Android so we can use the real McCoy. Everyone in my group and probably thousands of other Hero players out there would pay $$$ to have it on our phones or tablets.

I know there are other die rollers out there - half our group uses Dice Bag - but mostly I'm hoping somebody might port the one in HD3 over to Android so we can use the real McCoy. Everyone in my group and probably thousands of other Hero players out there would pay $$$ to have it on our phones or tablets.

What is so special about this one?

I could certianly make one (if I find the time and interest). It seems to be mostly

Roll X dice + Y.

Interpret result in various ways (sum up; count normal body; compare to other value).

What I think you would want from a Hero Dice app are:

1. a 3d6 button for skill and combat rolls

2. an Xd6 button that shows the rolls in size order for explosions and calculates both stun and Body totals for normal and killing attacks

3. an option to add 1/2d6 or +1 (or -1, I suppose) and have it calculate body correctly.

That is probably about it for essentials. It would be nice to have some sort of roll history, and it would be nice to have several pre-set buttons that you could allocate particular rolls to.

I'd avoid any actual representations of dice as that is not really helpful and we often roll loads of them.

I'd avoid any actual representations of dice as that is not really helpful and we often roll loads of them.

Presentation (even just the numbers) is important. Otherwise you can't check the results and thus couldn't trust the roler.

This is especially true for things like Skill Rolls. Few people realise that 1d16+2 is not equal to 3d6 and it is so much easier to programm the 1d16+2...

Also, what about things like "made by half"? Could they be important as well?

Try the die roller over on HC -- it's JavaScript-based, so it will run on any platform with a browser (for the most part). Handles all HERO syntax and rolling, shows the STUN and BODY, does explosion calculations, etc. Main drawback (if you consider it one) is that you enter what to roll each time...for example, a 6D6 Killing Attack with a +1 STUN multiplier as an Explosion that fades at 1 die per 2" (or 2m, if you prefer 6E notation...just replace the " with m):

[6d6k+1ex2]: 6, 4, 1, 3, 6, 6

0": 26 BODY, 104 STUN

2": 20 BODY, 80 STUN

4": 14 BODY, 56 STUN

6": 8 BODY, 32 STUN

8": 4 BODY, 16 STUN

10": 1 BODY, 4 STUN

You've got a pretty bad opinion about programmers ;)

I am one. I've seen worse. Heck, I've even done worse sometimes.

And it's not even that hard to make this false conclusion. After all both give you values from 3-18. It#s just that the distribution is skewed.

Edit:

And here the picture that says more than thousand words

http://survivingtheworld.net/StudentPresentation12.html

What I think you would want from a Hero Dice app are:

1. a 3d6 button for skill and combat rolls

2. an Xd6 button that shows the rolls in size order for explosions and calculates both stun and Body totals for normal and killing attacks

3. an option to add 1/2d6 or +1 (or -1, I suppose) and have it calculate body correctly.

That is probably about it for essentials. It would be nice to have some sort of roll history, and it would be nice to have several pre-set buttons that you could allocate particular rolls to.

Ht locations would be handy as well.

I suggest people look at the HD3 version as a starting point. Note: It will not work with Java 7; you will have to roll back to version 6.

I can't even see a dice roller in HD3, but maybe I have the wrong version. I do recall seeing it before but I have not used computer aids to role playing much in the past.

We could add in all sorts of stuff like character phase sequencers, OCV v DCV calculators and Damage Taken Calculators...but I'd settle for a decent little app that just did xd6+y and calculated Body and stun for killing and normal attacks and sorted rolls for explosion damage. That would be cushty.

I can't even see a dice roller in HD3, but maybe I have the wrong version. I do recall seeing it before but I have not used computer aids to role playing much in the past.

We could add in all sorts of stuff like character phase sequencers, OCV v DCV calculators and Damage Taken Calculators...but I'd settle for a decent little app that just did xd6+y and calculated Body and stun for killing and normal attacks and sorted rolls for explosion damage. That would be cushty.

http://www.herocentral.net/dieRoller.htm

Click on the "Instructions for Use" bar to toggle the instructions.

That will run on iOS, Android, and most other mobile systems (though JavaScript does need to be enabled in the browser).

Supports standard rolling, killing attacks, explosions (and combinations of these), hit locations, to-hit rolls (with OCV/DCV figured in), skill rolls, etc.

I am one. I've seen worse. Heck, I've even done worse sometimes.

And it's not even that hard to make this false conclusion.

Generally, maybe, but for a dice roller and given the usual random number APIs, "1d16+2" would be a) a somewhat weird way to approach things, given that you need code for Xd6 anyway and B) not even easier to program.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would radically over-engineer this and include a proper Gaussian distribution for arbitrary ranges instead of just calling "randInt(6)+1" a few times.

By now, I'd be interested in seeing a few HD3 screenshots if possible. A dice roller without a required fancy visual representation would be pretty easy to do in a web app, and then both the people with iPhones and with Androids could use it at the table (and PC users for virtual tabletops/IRC games etc.).

Generally' date=' maybe, but for a dice roller and given the usual random number APIs, "1d16+2" would be a) a somewhat weird way to approach things, given that you need code for Xd6 anyway and B) not even easier to program.[/quote']

I think "randInt(16)+3" is easier and shorter, than calling randInt(6)+1 three times.

By now' date=' I'd be interested in seeing a few HD3 screenshots if possible. A dice roller without a required fancy visual representation would be pretty easy to do in a web app, and then both the people with iPhones and with Androids could use it at the table (and PC users for virtual tabletops/IRC games etc.).[/quote']

I would be interested in a screenshot too.

It's located under "Tools" in HDv3 - and again, it doesn't work at all if you are using Java 7.

Looking at HDv3 info, BC Holmes was the programmer for the die roller.

I think "randInt(16)+3" is easier and shorter, than calling randInt(6)+1 three times.

I would be interested in a screenshot too.

I can take a screenshot from my laptop but I've got no way to post it. If you like I can take one and e-mail to you.

I think "randInt(16)+3" is easier and shorter' date=' than calling randInt(6)+1 three times.[/quote']

But bring in the "n" and the idiocy might work in your favor, for the programmer might rather just throw a loop around things than to work out the proper "randInt" formula. But yeah, I'd favor a list of individual results, too. Not just for checking on the algorithms of the programmer, but mainly for childish verisimilitude ("Yeah, two sixes!").

I can take a screenshot from my laptop but I've got no way to post it. If you like I can take one and e-mail to you.

I can always recommend imgur, just drag something onto the web page, start upload and then copy/paste the BBCode part.

But bring in the "n" and the idiocy might work in your favor, for the programmer might rather just throw a loop around things than to work out the proper "randInt" formula. But yeah, I'd favor a list of individual results, too. Not just for checking on the algorithms of the programmer, but mainly for childish verisimilitude ("Yeah, two sixes!").

I can always recommend imgur, just drag something onto the web page, start upload and then copy/paste the BBCode part.

Let's see if this works:

file:///C:/Users/Steven%20C%20Willson/Desktop/Hero%20Designer%203%20die%20roller.jpg

No idea how to post or store pics here.

Start a new Reply.

Klick on the "Insert Image Button" (between Remove link and the one that looks like 16mm film).

Choose the Tab "From Computer".

Select Files

You get a Default "Select File" Dialog

One you have selected all your files, klick Upload.

The image(s) should automatically be inserted into your post.

Let's see if this works:

file:///C:/Users/Steven C Willson/Desktop/Hero Designer 3 die roller.jpg

Erm, no, you would go to http://imgur.com, then drag something on that web page. You got it worked out here, but it might be interesting to remember whenever the forum software itself doesn't support image uploads (or via IM etc.).

The dice roller looks quite neat. Let's see how long it takes for one of the resident hackers to work out a replacement ;)