Something all SF gamers should have.

Guest dr. strangelove

Re: Something all SF gamers should have.

We could do 1001 SF weapons' date=' [i']with their Hero System write-ups[/i], in a thread right here on the Star Hero forum.

For free.

And then we'd get to 1002 and keep right on going....

That, sir, is a great idea. We should totally do it.

It's ideas like that which we need for the HERO system. I say we do it. But first, we need standards and guidelines for consistency.

How about we must include all power build information, general SFX description, and power build notes? Should we mention intentions for genre, setting, and the like? Should we agree upon a certain power level? Maybe a set of power level ranges?

Let's get this moving.

It's ideas like that which we need for the HERO system. I say we do it. But first, we need standards and guidelines for consistency.

How about we must include all power build information, general SFX description, and power build notes? Should we mention intentions for genre, setting, and the like? Should we agree upon a certain power level? Maybe a set of power level ranges?

Let's get this moving.

I'd say that if we're going to have 1000+ submissions we can afford to have a lot of variety; any power level or genre should be acceptable. And to get the most submissions, we should make it easy. I'd recommend picking an export format from Hero Designer for the actual power write-ups. (I'm not sure which one.) Special effects, notes on the build, recommended power levels and appropriate genres should be noted.

That's not to say every submission has to be built with Hero Designer - just that they should all have a compatible format.

Also, I don't want to get into an "edition fight" so let's make this open to 5E and 6E. (or earlier if that's how you roll...) Just be sure to specify which edition you used, and feel free to post builds for multiple editions if you wish.

And... uh... what am I forgetting? :think:

Do we need tech levels?

Guest dr. strangelove

We could do 1001 SF weapons' date=' [i']with their Hero System write-ups[/i], in a thread right here on the Star Hero forum.

For free.

And then we'd get to 1002 and keep right on going....

Are you suggesting copying the weapon names and descriptions from the original book and just giving them hero stats? I'm not sure if the guy who wrote the original book would be cool with that. He did work awfully long and hard (get your mind out of the gutter..) on this and might consider that ripping him off.

Now if you mean making up wholly original weapons and not just using the ones in the book, OK, but it might be very hard to not have a lot of overlap.

I wonder if someone should contact the owner of the 1001 SF weapons book and ask him if he's cool with hero players statting his stuff out for the hero system as long as they don't sell it or make money off it. He might want people to buy it the convert the stats.

I'm not accusing anyone of trying to rob this guy, I'm just wondering about doing this without causing anyone any grief, understand.

Is HERO Designer a necessary element? Why not just post the build in the thread?

I agree that we should avoid the trouble of alienating different edits and agree that one should note the edition used. Besides, all editions of HERO mostly convert with ease.

I think tech levels are subjective to campaign though. That said, good point about part levels being unnecessary due to sheer volume.

I suppose that there would be organization to be done after a good amount of entries crop up.

So what info do we want again? Name, Special Effects, Power Design Notes, Genre?

Hm... This probably will all be Equipment, being Star Hero and all, so what about Price, Weight, PD, ED, and BODY?

If we include price, shall we assume the Star HERO price chart and further only present the base price (since we won't know how rare or quality the item will be in a game)?

Should we find a standard method for determining Weight, PD, ED, and BODY of an object?

What if fellow posters/members/players could rate builds, thus separating the wheat from the chaff?

Mostly I think this would be a great way for everyone to show the things they have made for their games. Of course we might end up getting some stuff from other sources. I would actually be very surprised if we didn't have a lightsaber posted on here at some point.

Heh, one could do it as a Challenge Mode. Open Edition Open challenge....

~Rex.....working on a game functional Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator at the moment.....

Well, there's an Earth-shattering Kaboom if memory serves... Certainly bound to be a Megascaled AOE RKA.

Is HERO Designer a necessary element? Why not just post the build in the thread?

I agree that we should avoid the trouble of alienating different edits and agree that one should note the edition used. Besides, all editions of HERO mostly convert with ease.

I think tech levels are subjective to campaign though. That said, good point about part levels being unnecessary due to sheer volume.

I suppose that there would be organization to be done after a good amount of entries crop up.

So what info do we want again? Name, Special Effects, Power Design Notes, Genre?

Hm... This probably will all be Equipment, being Star Hero and all, so what about Price, Weight, PD, ED, and BODY?

If we include price, shall we assume the Star HERO price chart and further only present the base price (since we won't know how rare or quality the item will be in a game)?

Should we find a standard method for determining Weight, PD, ED, and BODY of an object?

What if fellow posters/members/players could rate builds, thus separating the wheat from the chaff?

Hero Designer is not nessesary, but using the same format helps a lot.

This isn't about copying, but writing down as many ideas as we find. If they are inspired by the book, just change the name a little.

Never note Price. Price is totally subjective to the campaign.

Noting PD and ED helps, but most of the cases those can be calculated based on the Active Points according to standart Focus Rules.

Are you suggesting copying the weapon names and descriptions from the original book and just giving them hero stats? I'm not sure if the guy who wrote the original book would be cool with that. He did work awfully long and hard (get your mind out of the gutter..) on this and might consider that ripping him off.

Now if you mean making up wholly original weapons and not just using the ones in the book, OK, but it might be very hard to not have a lot of overlap.

I wonder if someone should contact the owner of the 1001 SF weapons book and ask him if he's cool with hero players statting his stuff out for the hero system as long as they don't sell it or make money off it. He might want people to buy it the convert the stats.

I'm not accusing anyone of trying to rob this guy, I'm just wondering about doing this without causing anyone any grief, understand.

Calm down, dr. strangelove. We're not just going to rip 1001 weapons out of some book and do Hero conversions. This will be original content. As for "overlap", are you gonna tell me that none of the "1001 SF Weapons" in your OP are 100% original? There are only so many variations on energy blades, "blasters", monofilament whips, lasers, etc. so I'm betting they aren't. Did he get permission from every single studio/author/franchise that he "borrowed" from when he wrote up the weapons for his book?

Al Hazred pointed out that he'd like to see some Hero System weapons, so that's what we're doing. I don't even have a copy of 1001 SF Weapons and I'm not sure if anyone else here has bought it yet, so how exactly could we "rip off" a book we don't own and haven't read?

Guest dr. strangelove

OK, just wanted to avoid trouble, and me being blamed for it because I linked to it here.

OK' date=' just wanted to avoid trouble, and me being blamed for it because I linked to it here.[/quote']

Oh yes, I'm all for avoiding that kind of trouble. Back in post #6 of this thread I inserted some language regarding "copyright restrictions" for precisely that reason. It's part of the forum rules: we can't post content for which we don't have legal rights.

Guest dr. strangelove

The bummer with doing a hero version of this is that the coolest things (IMO) in the game were "the idiot guns" that were one shot, disposable area affect weapons meant to be handed out to untrained forces and could be used without any training. They usually had pictorgraphic instructions on the guns and were really meant to be handed out to insurgents, rebels, angry mobs, anyone who was angry enough to maybe use one against a polity the giver didn't like, etc. No one could do those here without violating the author's rights. Bummer. they were cool and I have modeled them in some other rules but not for profit.

They were some of the coolest things in the book and definitely food for thought to a GMs mind I'd say just those were worth getting the book for, and IF you do get the book, go straight to the idiot gun section first thing, OK?

I actually worked out the tech needed to make them work as described. We could build them today.

The bummer with doing a hero version of this is that the coolest things (IMO) in the game were "the idiot guns" that were one shot, disposable area affect weapons meant to be handed out to untrained forces and could be used without any training. They usually had pictorgraphic instructions on the guns and were really meant to be handed out to insurgents, rebels, angry mobs, anyone who was angry enough to maybe use one against a polity the giver didn't like, etc. No one could do those here without violating the author's rights. Bummer. they were cool and I have modeled them in some other rules but not for profit.

They were some of the coolest things in the book and definitely food for thought to a GMs mind I'd say just those were worth getting the book for, and IF you do get the book, go straight to the idiot gun section first thing, OK?

I actually worked out the tech needed to make them work as described. We could build them today.

I don't think a copyright is required for a concept that's been implemented approximately a bazillion times in real life.

None of those were much like the idiot guns in 1001sfw. They were more like a handheld claymore mine really.

We have those in real life, too. I bet you could even do a hilarious stand-up ventriloquist act featuring the skeleton of an ex-operator. Of course, the regular kind of "hand-held claymore device" kills the operative, too. Unless you use some kind of remote control or just hide in a hole next to it.

But say that a remote control isn't hand-held enough for you, and that a suicide belt is too suicidal. I guess that what I'm saying is that you need a little bit of directionality to your weapon. How about an eight-barrelled shotgun designed specifically for "insurgencies?"

I guess that you could argue that when the future happens, it will be possible to create a weapon that is so awesome in some unspecified way that it overthrows all government. And I say that it will be possible because A. E. Van Vogt and Kevin O'Donnell, just off the top of my head, have used that as a plot point.