Something all SF gamers should have.

Guest dr. strangelove

Guest dr. strangelove

Re: Something all SF gamers should have.

We have those in real life' date=' too. I bet you could even do a hilarious stand-up ventriloquist act featuring the skeleton of an ex-operator. Of course, the regular kind of "hand-held claymore device" kills the operative, too. Unless you use some kind of remote control or just hide in a hole next to it.

But say that a remote control isn't hand-held enough for you, and that a suicide belt is too suicidal. I guess that what I'm saying is that you need a little bit of directionality to your weapon. How about an eight-barrelled shotgun designed specifically for "insurgencies?"

I guess that you could argue that when the future happens, it will be possible to create a weapon that is so awesome in some unspecified way that it overthrows all government. And I say that it will be possible because A. E. Van Vogt and Kevin O'Donnell, just off the top of my head, have used that as a plot point.

Now, this is getting close to the idiot gun idea. The main differences were that the idiot guns were disposable one shots made of composites and were hermetically sealed in a casing that blew off during firing.

Are we just going to talk about weapons' date=' or is anybody going to make a "1001 SciFi weapons" Thread?[/quote']

I was going to make a joke and say "Can't we do both?" but then I realized that's exactly what we should do. We need to get the 1001 Weapons List thread going, but keep this thread active for discussion so as not to clutter up the list.

• 2 weeks later...

The bummer with doing a hero version of this is that the coolest things (IMO) in the game were "the idiot guns" that were one shot' date=' disposable area affect weapons meant to be handed out to untrained forces and could be used without any training. They usually had pictorgraphic instructions on the guns and were really meant to be handed out to insurgents, rebels, angry mobs, anyone who was angry enough to maybe use one against a polity the giver didn't like, etc. No one could do those here without violating the author's rights. Bummer. they were cool and I have modeled them in some other rules but not for profit.[/quote']

Herrrrmn?!:think:

I seem to recall a Hero specific version of a similar gadget from back in the 1980's....It was in (as I recall) the Gadgets book that was for.....3rd Edition?

It was, quite basically, designed around the following concept: a plain metal tube about the length of a broom handle that was packed with propellent and about 5,000 needle sized flechettes. One charge, never recoverable. And if memory serves it also had a misfire roll that, should it occur, meant that the gadget exploded in the users hands....Of course the descriptive info in the text implied that, given the sorts of folks who used them as weapons, it would still serve their purposes since they were intended for use by such folks as (to paraphrase the period) "armies of national liberation" and "workers resistance organizations" (yeah, this was pre-Glasnost and all) and was something that agents in a Danger International campaign might see used......

Sadly, my copy of the text in question is in storage with all my other hard-copy Hero material. And that storage is roughly 4,000 miles away at present so I can't post the actual stats....But perhaps someone who has the text could help me out?

-Carl-

I just go with a gut feeling. There are probably more exact methods by looking up materials, but I think weight is easy enough to change as anything else.

For example, I figure a blaster pistol, being a more complex machine than a classic firearm, might be a little heavier than a comparable revolver/pistol using mostly the same materials. Not much, but noticeable. Regardless, it's all gut feeling.

I just go with a gut feeling. There are probably more exact methods by looking up materials, but I think weight is easy enough to change as anything else.

For example, I figure a blaster pistol, being a more complex machine than a classic firearm, might be a little heavier than a comparable revolver/pistol using mostly the same materials. Not much, but noticeable. Regardless, it's all gut feeling.

Good. Then I will simply leave that value out from now on.

Guest dr. strangelove

A blaster could be made of lightweight composites and such that even out the weight.

Do you need to have the STR min doesn't add or subtract when its bought as a blast? I thought that when using blast' date=' you couln't add or subtract to begin with.[/quote']

Hm. Seems like I slipped up on a change from 5e to 6e (in which that used to be the case). And now I learned something. Thanks for pointing that out.

That said, like I said, let's try to keep build discussion in the thread that inspired this in the first place. The link is in the first sentence.

Also...

When did STR ever add to Blast (Energy Blast in 5E). It wasn't in 5E...

When did STR ever add to Blast (Energy Blast in 5E). It wasn't in 5E...

Strength didn't add to Energy Blast or RKA, but check 5ER 479, left column under "Calculating STR Minima." It recommends that "guns, bows, and like weapons" should be built with the STR Min Cannot Add/Substract Damage.

I don't know if it is in the original 5e core book - I gave mine away when I got 5ER.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/17889/1001-Science-Fiction-Weapons-%28Revised%29?it=1

This is just made for SFRPGers of all types, you should check it out and get it.

While Steve doesn't go crazy and include 1000 weapons in StarHero he does a great job of converting most of the Iconic weapons and gives you the insight to convert anything else you may want to write up. So the Fact that there isn't a Hero conversion doesn't faze me. Though that same confidence in the Hero system makes me wonder if I really need that book.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What I want to know is why are the Particle Beam weapons (Blasters) Blast instead of Killing Attack? From the description I have read of theoretical Particle Beam weaponry, they should do killing damage...and a lot of it. I make my Blasters Killing Attacks with the Penetrating advantage. (as opposed to Lasers which do lesser damage on average, but have the Armor Piercing advantage)

So how about posting variations on weapons already posted? For example, someone already posted vibroblades as a weapon but i would like to post my version of a vibroblade. Too much redundancy?

And i second the creation of a similar thread for sci-fi armor (and armor options) as well.

First, I also agree that an Armor thread would be a nice addition. Maybe not with the "1000" moniker on it though.

As for variations, I don't think it would hurt. Maybe out of respect to other posters, if you are posting a weapon that is a variant relative to one already posted, you should point out that it is a variant. Alternatively, quoting such an entry and inserting an alternate build but not as an official entry could be a working alternative.

I really should return to a "1 weapon a week" regimen. That's 52 weapons per year. It gets better with every person. I think we could use this original thread as a brainstorming thread. Ooh, now there is a weapon idea: "the Brainstormer." There are multiple routes to go with that one.

• 5 months later...