more martial arts

ayinde

Re: more martial arts

is there a formula to build new martial arts moves

Hero System Martial Arts (6E). The entire second chapter.

It even has rules for Ranged Martial Arts - tricks you can do with weapons or spells.

For 5E it could be "ultimate Martial Artist".

Note that you can do most stuff with HTH-Attack or limited STR, 0 END/OCV/DCV.

Yes, as Christopher notes.

You can make some interesting moves using it.

However, realize that you can also Multiple Power Attack maneuvers of different base elementsfor a combination maneuver and that can be more effective in many cases (though more expensive) than trying to build a custom maneuver combining the individual elements you want as there is a 5 point max on maneuvers.

Alternately you can waive the 5 point limit and come up with some really kooky uber-maneuvers.

On that note in one or two campaigns in the past I let master martial artists develop a single 6 point "signature" maneuver of their very own to define their personal style. They could either take an existing maneuver and up it, or design one from scratch.

Here is an example custom maneuver:

Close Quarters Fighting: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, Abort, +20 STR to Escape, Response to Grab

That's:

1    Abort
1    +1 DCV
2    +10 STR
2    +5 STR > 10
2    +5 STR > 10
-3   Response
----------------

The maneuver? It works great.

Or do you mean the 6 point signature maneuver bit? Also worked great.

As to buying maneuvers as powers, I generally do not wish. The martial arts mechanics are one of my favorite aspects of the HERO System and one of the things that drew me to it low those many years ago more than two decades past.

On that note in one or two campaigns in the past I let master martial artists develop a single 6 point "signature" maneuver of their very own to define their personal style. They could either take an existing maneuver and up it' date=' or design one from scratch.[/quote']

HSMA encourages a Variable upper Limit for maneuvers:

4 for Realistic.

5 for most games

6 for Superheroes

7 for Anime adn Wuxia campaigns.

The maneuver? It works great.

Or do you mean the 6 point signature maneuver bit? Also worked great.

As to buying maneuvers as powers, I generally do not wish. The martial arts mechanics are one of my favorite aspects of the HERO System and one of the things that drew me to it low those many years ago more than two decades past.

I meant to say the 6 point upper limit. And I understand about the powers versus skills but sometimes the only way to go is by powers.

HSMA encourages a Variable upper Limit for maneuvers:

4 for Realistic.

5 for most games

6 for Superheroes

7 for Anime adn Wuxia campaigns.

Interesting seems like the optional rules from Ninja Hero 4th from first blush. (I looked at getting HSMA and since its out of print, people want to charge way too much for it :mad:)

• 3 weeks later...

so would this maneuver work.

Iron flesh stance: ocv 0 dcv +2; grants no hit location. cost 4 points

Are you using 6e perchance? If you are, I can't comment on if the cost is correct. But I would like to point out that typicaly manuevers also have some sort of damage or strength to do a specific task. I.e. Strength to disarm an opponent or to break free from a grab. However, could build the above as combat skill levels and define it as a manuever. You could buy it as +2 DCV with limitation of stance. Here I would declare that in order to use the stance, you have to be standing and legs free of entangles to use.

so would this maneuver work.

Iron flesh stance: ocv 0 dcv +2; grants no hit location. cost 4 points

In 6E Hero System Martial Arts book a defensive Strike is:

+1 OCV, +3 DCV, STR Strike (with nothing extra) for 5 points

Building your Maneuver using those rules I would come too:

+0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR Strike for 2 points. (DCV cost 1:1, except for the third point wich costs 2. OCV costs 1:1).

I am uncertain about the hit location limitation. Could see it as -1 Restrictive Element, but I am almost certain that this would be a -0 thing. You jsut define taht it does not uses hit locations, so it can't do high damage or low damage.

But I agree with Ninja-Bear, the CSL approach is much simpler and cleaner. Keep in mind that you have to buy a total of 10 point Martial Arts before Weapon elements and extra DC.

Could you give us the full martial Arts Package you have in mind, or is that only a single attack?

Christopher thank you for taking the time to reply to my post but I think you misunderstood what the maneuver's purpose is its not a attack at all its a defiance when the hero takes the iron skin stance he denies his attacker the use of hit location. I wanted as a martial art move because wile its in use you cant use other martial arts I have this idea to convert a lot of the combat talents to martial arts moves for my game. I may have wrote it out incorrect

Christopher thank you for taking the time to reply to my post but I think you misunderstood what the maneuver's purpose is its not a attack at all its a defiance when the hero takes the iron skin stance he denies his attacker the use of hit location. I wanted as a martial art move because wile its in use you cant use other martial arts I have this idea to convert a lot of the combat talents to martial arts moves for my game. I may have wrote it out incorrect

There is a similar maneuver in the Ultimate Martial Artist called Root. It is a Block maneuver with an Exert bonus to resist being shoved, thrown or knocked down. It's main basis being Block, if the character successfully blocks, the attack is completely nullified, but if the block attempt fails, the character still gets the extra STR to resist being thrown. It's a brilliant design.

For your maneuver I would also suggest Block being your main basis with the addition of DCV levels. The DCV levels represent attacks merely bouncing off your character, as does the block...the character "blocks" with their body when they activate the stance, channelling the kinetic energy of attacks that hit them into the ground. I would suggest Block basis, +0 OCV, +3 DCV. This is similar to Defensive Block (which is Block at +1 OCV, +3 DCV) so to differentiate it, you might want to give the maneuver some bonus STR to resist shoves and throws like Root. This maneuver would then be a combination of Defensive Block and Root.

As far as I know (I don't have the Sixth Edition Martial Arts book) the only way, in a game that uses hit locations, to escape their effect, is via a Power.

I am having trouble understanding the special effects though.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary hit locations

As far as I know (I don't have the Sixth Edition Martial Arts book) the only way, in a game that uses hit locations, to escape their effect, is via a Power.

I am having trouble understanding the special effects though.

HSMA 6E has no Maneuver for that.

I only see two ways in 6E (with the later working in 5E):

Using the "No hit location" (automaton) power for 10 Character Points, limiting it so it only works in that stance - if you build stances as Multipower, put it in the slot; otherwise link/"only with maneuver X" -it. Maybe a simple activation/Martial Arts trick roll helps?

But "no hit location" is a Warning Sign Power and the GM may simply forbid it's use.

The other way would be a Personal Change Environment. Hit Location Penalties are similar to Range penatlies, so giving other as penalty to target hit locations should not be more expensive. Of course this power would only work if the enemy is using targetting. Maybe you could define it as increasing the penalty to everything but chest, shoulders and thights (the "no multiplier" areas), but decreasing teh penalty for those same three areas. Then the enemy would be inclined to make "called shoots" to there to avoid the areas with damage-penalties (hands, arms, feet, leg).

Something like:

Change Environment (additional -5 to Called Shot Modifiers), 15 Base Points; 0 END (+1/2)*, 22 AP; No Range (-1/2)**, Provides equal bonus to target Chest, Shoulders and Thights instead (-0)***.

You might still need an Attack Action to activate it and it last's until you are stunned/k.o. Alternatively you migth make it Peristent (+1/4) and limit it to a active defense some other way (Multipower Slot, linking).

*Optional. You might want to let it cost something instead when that meets your flavor.

**That means it affects only you, or any atempt to affect you personally. Anyone making

***pure guesswork on my part. It is beneficial for you that the enemy targets there instead of making the random roll, but also somewhat limiting that you don't recieve a bonus when he wants to hit there on his own.