Curious about your view on the current state of CO. (Anybody still play regularly?)

Logan D

Re: Curious about your view on the current state of CO. (Anybody still play regularly

Caprice tends to be very... idiosyncratic... in its RP. Any special type or theme that you're looking for? Traditional hero' date=' light RP, mercs? I could look for a group that might fit.[/quote']

Well, the thing is, I don't have the time to join a group that meets regularly. I wouldn't want to, if they're going to depend on me to show up for regular sessions playing scenarios online. I don't want to be tied down to a schedule, since my interest in online gaming is...capricious. I actually did join one supergroup and I've played with them a little, but only a very little.

Club Caprice can be fun, sometimes, but it's very hit or miss.

• 1 month later...

Re: Curious about your view on the current state of CO. (Anybody still play regularly

I go through cycles where I'm off-again on-again, and I've been in game a lot here lately. I made a post here about my own frustration with how the Alerts have been making it harder and harder to find teams for doing runs in the Lairs anymore. I keep coming back because the game is still fun, and the ability to customize the characters is second-to-none. The fact that my wife is also online is just a nice perk :)

I had to cancel my subscription a while ago, and then found that (at least at the time) a character could be "free to play" or "subscription", but could only be transformed from one to the other ONCE. Ever.

I havent gone back.

I have not actually played in forever. I had serious issues with the disconnect of beating some huge boss, only to see him wandering around again just a few minutes later. That made the game less of a "my" experience game and more something else. Something with a reset switch. Being as CO was the first MMO I gave an honest go at, I was pretty impressed with much of the game. Cryptics other baby, Star Trek Online was more of a hit with me. I could travel around a huge universe and did not necessarily have to pair up with anybody. The Alerts and War Zones led to Grinding, especially the Borg missions. I got to asking myself the same question posed by Scott above; "What is the purpose of all this gear?" It became painfully obvious whenever I entered a War Zone. The cool Borg gear was meant to dominate the other players in PVP.

When I recently logged back into CO, I saw the same sort of setup. I then logged out and haven't looked back.

I've decided that, I do not like the new crafting system one bit. Bores the ever living crap out of me, just can't bring myself to try and improve upon it.

~Rex... List of Characters in CO: Big E, The Golden Koi, Expendable One, The Phantom Avenger, Igneous, Bobcat, Doc Thunder, Amen-Ra, The Futurian

I'm playing again after a hiatus of a few weeks. Clearly, my approach to CO is the same as my approach to computer games in general. I'm a faddish player; I'll play it incessantly for a while, get bored, walk away for some time, then eventually come back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My PCs: Iron Maiden (Level 26), Trollop (Level 23 currently--she's the one I'm playing most now), Doctor Syence (Level 15), Legion (Level 8). When I came back from my hiatus, I played Iron Maiden and got my ass kicked repeatedly by NPCs I shouldn't have had any trouble with. I don't know if they nerfed the Behemoth archetype in the last revamp, but she isn't nearly as effective as she used to be.

Trollop (a Devastator), on the other hand, kicks the ever-living **** out of everyone she runs across with her ginormous hammer. She gets beaten down occasionally, but only rarely.

The main thing that PO's me about the game setup is that there are Lairs that are impossible to run without a full team of 5. The fact that these Lairs also have the most Story in them makes it doubly annoying. I have only once been to Apocalypse Aversion, yet could only get part-way through before half the team had to bail because it was taking so freaking long. I have never been to the final Lairs on Monster Island or Lemuria, because I could never get a team together. And now that Alerts are the Big Thing™, its almost impossible to get teams together to do the Lairs that there were always takers for, like Destroyer's Factory or Teleios's Tower.

Dang it, if they can scale Adventure Packs to work for any character regardless of level, they should be able to have a Lair scale to the size of one's team.

Night Avenger AT and the new power sets came out finally. Got to say, I'm liking the bommerang action. Now, need to decide on a character for it. Either gonna do the Dingo Warrior, or stick with The Moth!, terror of the night!

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing that PO's me about the game setup is that there are Lairs that are impossible to run without a full team of 5. The fact that these Lairs also have the most Story in them makes it doubly annoying. I have only once been to Apocalypse Aversion' date=' yet could only get part-way through before half the team had to bail because it was taking so freaking long. I have [b']never[/b] been to the final Lairs on Monster Island or Lemuria, because I could never get a team together. And now that Alerts are the Big Thing™, its almost impossible to get teams together to do the Lairs that there were always takers for, like Destroyer's Factory or Teleios's Tower.

Dang it, if they can scale Adventure Packs to work for any character regardless of level, they should be able to have a Lair scale to the size of one's team.

I don't know about Teleios' Tower, but Destroyer Factory has been bugged since the Nighthawk update. You can't finish the final room because Destroyerbot's flying fist drones keep duplicating. Even if you teleport past them, they home in after about a minute and no character can stand up to that barrage for long.:)

I don't know about Teleios' Tower' date=' but Destroyer Factory has been bugged since the Nighthawk update. You can't finish the final room because Destroyerbot's flying fist drones keep duplicating. Even if you teleport past them, they home in after about a minute and no character can stand up to that barrage for long.:)[/quote']

The bugs are crazy.

Nemesis missions: the more I pound on the Nem, the more hit points he gets so his health-bar always remains exactly at the same mark.

Monster Island Crisis: the giant flaming monkey does so much knockback to the Teleosaurus that it goes flying a mile away. Oh, and its health bar never drops below 2/3, either.

Viboria Bay Crisis: The cutscene where The Big T destroys the elemental gems doesn't play.

And this is just off the top of my head in what I've seen recently.

On the other hand, the new jets are amazingly awesome - especially the Interceptor. I don't use it for combat, but the ability to go from one side of the map to the other in a matter of seconds makes it worth every Zen I spent on it :)

Bloody CO servers took a nosedive just after 9pm EST tonight - and on the heels of a patch, no less. It took them this long to post a generic "Champions Online is currently offline. We are aware of this issue and are working on bringing the server back online as soon as possible." pop-up on the home page.

(Having been started from another thread, I'll finish this here as this is more appropriate)

Cryptic is only using the name of the game, the villains (often only in name) and so on. The ruleset of Champions is the backbone of the game, namely the HeroGames rules but they don't use it. They use the statistic names but it holds little resemblance to the HeroGames version. My hero with a 50 Strength for 10d6 Damage will not be doing that in Champions Online but a different type of damage (eventually doing over 1000 health damage in CO as you level). Yes, you level up, whether Free-To-Play or Freeform.

Many of the villains have been changed, for the worse. Freon is generic in appearance with a huge rocky, white jaw. Gravitar looks like a hussy. Cheshire Cat is much more generic and Menton looks like a wuss with a big brain. Repeat, lather, rinse. They force the characters to mold to their system, not the other way around. Hoping to see alot of the villains from the Enemies or CKC book(s)? Not happening. The bugs in the game are ridiculous at the moment and I won't go into detail on how often the open missions are bugged. I wonder if they're seriously taking the PR damage word-of-mouth is doing because of it. Having listened in the game and watched the forums, I guess not. They really need to fix the game bugs because other games are coming out: would you rather play a bugged game or a new one that's very most likely going to have any bugs fixed.

Now, having said all that, I do still play it because my friend can join me. I can take my 2D superhero and create a 3D picture and use my Champions hero in different adventures. Perhaps I still believe the game can be so much more, hope for it but not hoping too much.