Classic Super Hero Teams

Cassandra

Re: Classic Super Hero Teams

Before superheroes came back' date=' both DC and what would be Marvel put out sci-fi comics (amongst other things). Many of those comics featured giant monsters and alien invasions as common story fodder. So it makes sense that they would draw from that for some early stories.[/quote']

I think you are missing the point - a giant starfish?!? How innocuous and silly can you get?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are missing the point - a giant starfish?!? How innocuous and silly can you get?

Oh, by the first JLA appearance we're not up to the point where the Camp fad hit comics. There's way sillier to come.

Anyway, we're also talking about a point where the CCA still had some teeth, so doing anything super-scary wasn't likely.

Every hero needs a villain, and every hero team needs a villain team.

The JLA has had a number of them. The Injustice Gang, The Secret Society, and the Legion of Doom were all featured in the Justice League DC Animated Universe.

The Injustice Gang was a group of super villains hired by Lex Luthor so he could gain revenge. The motivation was straight forward, lure the heroes into an ambush and take them out. The JLA using teamwork defeated them.

The Secret Society was Gorilla Grodd's plan to take down the JLA covertly. First he used his mental powers to turn the team against each other, then went the divide and conquer route. They came close, but Martian Manhunter was able to pull a fast one and save the day.

The Legion of Doom was again the idea of Gorilla Grodd's gathering of forces for his master plan using the offer of support for super villain back up for individual members, for 25% of the gross. He made two mistakes, one bringing Lex Luthor into the group, and his master plan to turn humanity into apes (where is the money in that?).

The tendency of the Justice League to split up was presaged by the Justice Society, who I've heard rarely actually worked together back in the day. The Society was just an excuse for an anthology comic in which they'd talk about their activities before the meeting.

All these alleged "supervillain" "teams" pale in comparison to the Monster Society of Evil.

Even its name is more awesome than theirs. They'd be all "Society of Evil", and think they were Evil, but they'd just be evil, compared to the Monster Society of Evil, which is a Monster Society... of, well, Evil.

And Mr Mind is cooler than you.

Jar's do not slow down Mr. Mind. :D Don't Make me post pic's...Ah what the heck.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44073[/ATTACH]

~Rex....does ponder the Mr. Mind heroclix stats though.....

We had a large point tourney around here. I took in Hydra. Madame Hydra, Red Skull, Super-Adaptiod, and agents.

One guy I played was using GL-Kyle. Only had two shots at him. He pulled back to park on a roof ledge. Now I had 4 shots at him, all using the Hydra ability.

Kyle did the dirtnap.

~Rex....Does point out though that the Brotherhood of Evil' date=' has a Brain in a Jar. Hard to beat the Brain in a Jar.[/quote']

The Brotherhood of Evil has a gorilla too, which qualifies them as the second most awesome supervillain team.

Very true. The Brotherhood of Evil has it all. Brain in a Jar (Check), Talking Gorilla combat expert (Check), Immortal Facist Nazi type (Check), Exiled Evil green alien with goals of conquering the Earth (check), Un-killable shape shifting and stretching serial killer woman (Check), and that's just the original Line Up. You get guys like Warp (How do you like the Bottom of the Antarctic Ocean Cyborg?), Plasmus, Elephant Man and Phobia in later incarnations ..... Nasty Nasty Team......

~Rex

Maybe one reason why the Second World War went on so long because the Heroes didn't work more closely together. I know that it's all fictional, but let's take a cinematic example.

In the Dark Knight, Gordon gets the location of where the Joker is and is about to mobilize when the Joker threatens to blow up a hospital. Suddenly the Police Offensive operation is turned into a ad hoc defensive mission.

The Axis in the comics were always threatening to take out major U.S. targets, requiring the heroes to stay on the home front until they rounded up the fifth column and could go on the offensive.

Plus, I bet Hitler would have carried around some kryptonite.

Well, if we're talking DC continuity, one of the major developments for their Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Golden Age comics was Hitler using the Spear of Destiny to create a mystic defensive zone around the Axis countries, which prevented magic-based or magic-vulnerable characters from entering their territories. So, the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Alan Scott), Dr. Fate, even the Specter, were unable to operate in the European or Pacific theaters.

The Axis in the comics were always threatening to take out major U.S. targets, requiring the heroes to stay on the home front until they rounded up the fifth column and could go on the offensive.

Plus, I bet Hitler would have carried around some kryptonite.

I don't believe kryptonite existed at that point.

Yes, heroes tended to stay on the home front, with some exceptions. I don't know this for sure, but it may have been a conscious decision on the part of the comic companies during the war. Conscious or not, it keeps the focus and credit where it belongs - on the military.

The tendency of the Justice League to split up was presaged by the Justice Society' date=' who I've heard rarely actually worked together back in the day. The Society was just an excuse for an anthology comic in which they'd talk about their activities before the meeting.[/quote']

It was essentially an anthology book in the beginning, but as I said above, they more often got together at the beginning to discuss a threat, handled aspects of it separately, and then came together at the end to take out the Big Bad once and for all.

I don't believe kryptonite existed at that point.

Yes, heroes tended to stay on the home front, with some exceptions. I don't know this for sure, but it may have been a conscious decision on the part of the comic companies during the war. Conscious or not, it keeps the focus and credit where it belongs - on the military.

There was actually a part of it. Some good interviews on the subject and then the gradual allowance of certain characters to participate.

~Rex