Gods with Off Switches vs. Loaded Guns. DC vs. Marvel in Character Design.

Cassandra

Re: Gods with Off Switches vs. Loaded Guns. DC vs. Marvel in Character Design.

I'm good with escapism, I'm fine with Batman having wacky adventures. I'm not fine with the faux-realistic elements of Batman. That his enemies are easily-predicted psychopaths instead of guys like time-traveling cavemen, criminals who rob banks using giant robots, etc. that bothers me. If he's the master of plans, then let his enemies be something he genuinely can't plan for, except in the broadest sense. I'd also like them to be more entertaining than "ugly schmuck with a gun and mental issues #65135168761357".

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half tempted to post a few character builds..... Been converting a lot of stuff over lately. Keep meaning to get them all posted since a lot of it would play into this thread but so danged busy real world like that little bit of time just isn't there yet......

Fortunately, starting tomorrow I'm taking 5 days off. Granted one of those days is consumed with getting snarked at by health care professionals and family in regards to that but that should leave at least one day for Post-A-Palooza.....

~Rex

Very cool. I'm taking 10 days off starting saturday as well. I look forward to your posts!

Well the VPP could bump the STR to 80.

And Cassandra builds all her heroes on 250 pts.

build your own if you don't like it. I did.

Actually, it's a variable multiform pool, and you could likely boost the STR much greater than that just by tweaking the multiform.

Might as well try building Galactus on 250 points.

And what makes you think they haven't?

Look if it's not your thing, that's awesome - post your own.

But don't go putting other people's builds down. That's not how we roll here.

The same thing that makes me think it's isn't incredibly dumb:nothing.

Look, maybe you guys don't care about scale, but I do, and I find it insulting to the source material. You can't build everything on 250 points, because not everything is made the same.

Well the VPP could bump the STR to 80.

And Cassandra builds all her heroes on 250 pts.

build your own if you don't like it. I did.

I did. Posted it too. An Earth 2 Silver Age Supes, toned down.

No one except you has made any attempt to claim they are posting a fully realized 'been-around-the-block' version of the character (in this thread). They are starting versions. Heck, even your version isn't accurate by your own standards. In the currently published Action Comics Superman can't even fly yet! IMO, modeling comic superheroes for a role playing game is only interesting if they are intended to be used as Player Characters. If they are intended as NPC's why do it? I mean why worry about spending points? Just decide what the character can do and write those end abilities down and be done with it. There are very few reasons to worry about balance if 'correct' modelling is the ultimate goal. If the PC's are built on typical 'starting points' (250/4e, 350/5e or 400/6e) they are going to be completely outclassed by the NPC Comic Character heroes as to be overshadowed. What fun is that for the players? What purpose does it serve?

Except that Silver Age Superman isn't a starting character and even Golden Age Superman wasn't built on "starting points", he doesn't even fit in most "starting point" values. Massey's Superman was Silver Age, not Golden Age, he stated it himself, and Silver Age Superman started off flying. Silver Age Superman also started off with several years of experience, what with not having been rebooted or anything. My Jimmy Olsen works perfectly, because he is built to summon Massey's Superman. You aren't interested in modeling the background characters, you know, in case one of the players decides they want to play that character? Also, if you want to build it as a player character, build on player character points, and keep in mind that not every character is meant to be a player character, in fact most aren't.

Most roleplayers (aside from rollplayers) don't complain when there is a more powerful character in the party, so long as there is still something they can bring to the table. For example DC characters are relatively lacking in the good-aligned psychics, mad scientists, and technopaths, if my character was a technopath in the DCU, I'd never complain that I'd been put on the Justice League that had Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain Atom (who actually possesses some tech-manipulation powers), Martian Manhunter (who also possesses some powers that can be used on machines), and Batman. Why? Because my character's technopathy does things the others simply cannot do, even though my character isn't anywhere near as powerful as the rest of the group.

So what? It's a mental exercise. If you don't like the builds don't look at them.

As for modeling, the characters themselves in the source material change too f'n much, just from writer to writer. Never mind major overhauls and reboots.

Well, I could probably write up a serviceable starting-out GA Superman for maybe 500 points, starting out SA Supes(pre-planet moving) for 650, and maybe one of the more "alpha" versions for 1000 points. They wouldn't be Superman, precisely, but would be a reasonable approximation. Of course, I'd also likely select the version most appropriate for the campaign I was running. The only way I'd write a multi-thousand point version would be if the PCs were also capable of ascending to such heights of epic grandeur.

So what? It's a mental exercise. If you don't like the builds don't look at them.

As for modeling, the characters themselves in the source material change too f'n much, just from writer to writer. Never mind major overhauls and reboots.

Then call it what it is: A Superman-style character, rather than saying "this is THE Superman".

Then call it what it is: A Superman-style character' date=' rather than saying "this is THE Superman".[/quote']

Quit implying that you're the only that can build him right. As has been pointed out before, how a character is built is totally going to depend upon the campaign it is intended to run in.

Quit implying that you're the only that can build him right. As has been pointed out before' date=' how a character is built is totally going to depend upon the campaign it is intended to run in.[/quote']I've never said nor implied that. You are imagining it. I have said that Massey's Superman is perfectly fine for a toned-down Silver Age Superman.

The source material is already so corrupted with revisions, rewrites, retcon, that we've seen Superman along with every other superhero vary wildly in powers and abilities.

I build low level characters so they can be played in a low level starting campaign. Where is the fun in being a god? You didn't see Dr. Manhattan laughing. Not that he was any use because he was trapped in his own time outside of that of humanity.

Which is the point. A 1000 point character might walk on the surface of the sun and see atoms but he will have so many disadvantages that he wouldn't be playable without a) every player wanting a character on the same level, and B) the villains built and an even higher level to serve as a challenge.

I'd never complain that I'd been put on the Justice League

Because you'd be written by a single writer who would have total narrative control over your character, his personality, and his actions.

Which is absolutely nothing like how a roleplaying game works.

The source material is already so corrupted with revisions, rewrites, retcon, that we've seen Superman along with every other superhero vary wildly in powers and abilities.

I build low level characters so they can be played in a low level starting campaign. Where is the fun in being a god? You didn't see Dr. Manhattan laughing. Not that he was any use because he was trapped in his own time outside of that of humanity.

Which is the point. A 1000 point character might walk on the surface of the sun and see atoms but he will have so many disadvantages that he wouldn't be playable without a) every player wanting a character on the same level, and B) the villains built and an even higher level to serve as a challenge.

Dr. Manhattan wasn't so much a character as a plot device.

And I agree with you about Jimmy.