What Makes An Iconic Superhero Costume?

Pariah

Re: What Makes An Iconic Superhero Costume?

There are no iconic costumes.

There are costumes identified with iconic characters.

Lucius Alexander

Iconic Palindromedary

I have my doubts as to whether characters become iconic in the first place if their outfit is an eyesore.

I agree with that, Clonus.

Let's face it, Black Canary and Power Girl's costumes made their careers.

Wonder Woman started the whole tantalizing super heroine costume genre (although she also started the bondage genre too).

Wonder Girl's red costume after her Wonder Woman inspired Teen Titans costume is also very good. Individualistic but also acknowledges her origins.

A fact recognized by the Super Best Friends Forever videos.

judomaster have iconic costume,if somewhat controversial in judomaster'case

think abou it an american ww2 eramystery man[as super-heroes were called at first]wearing a suit based on the japanese flag suspicin of treasn, or at least espioage mst've bee constant especaily since judomaster primarily operated in the pacic theater of operations

• 2 weeks later...

I'd consider the trench coat/fedora combination to be iconic. Think of all the notable heroes (and villains) who have used it: the Shadow, the Green Hornet, Dick Tracy, Rorschach, the Crimson Avenger, and even Carmen Sandiego.

Amen, brother. I think that did as much to sink his solo comic as taking the guy who could relate to kids in the hood on the basketball court and making him a cosmic scientist. With the jacket, you could believe the guy the Spectre inspired to become Mister Terrific was still in there.

There are some superhero costumes that are just awful. There are a lot are are good, or at least pretty good. But there are a few that are iconic--instantly recognized and universally acclaimed (or nearly so). Some examples of costumes I would consider iconic include Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Captain America. There are others, of course, but I think this is a good starting point.

When I think of the costumes I would consider iconic, there are some common elements:

* A bold color scheme. Usually, but not always, two or three primary colors that blend well together (red, white, and blue) or provide visual contrast (black and white).

* A clean, simple design. Iconic costumes don't need accessories. Costumes with a large number of buckles or belt pouches, for example, are right out. Capes are good, Edna notwithstanding. A signature tool or weapon is also good.

* A unique, recognizable symbol. Superman's shield, Batman's bat symbol, Captain America's white star over red and white stripes. With one look you know exactly who you're dealing with.

So now to my questions, which are twofold:

1. What other superhero costumes would you consider iconic?

2. What other design elements and/or attributes make an iconic superhero costume? If you were designing such a costume for a character, what would you include?

I'm interested to read your ideas.

captain action to me has an iconic suit

Elegant simplicity of design. Overy busy costumes are not "iconic" even if they are in some way memorable.

As far as "undies on the outside" there were (and are) a vouple of very good reasons for them.

First: They allow a more dynamic color break for the costume, rather than the "unitard" look youre starting to see in modern superhero movies where costume designers think of the trunks as "dumb", because they dont know any better.

Second: When youre a guy wearing skin-tight spandex, wearing trunks over your tights allows you to not be flashing your package all over the place, and letting everyone know whether your parents believed in circumcision or not. If you dont think this is important, please re-watch Star Trek: the Motion Picture.