What Makes An Iconic Superhero Costume?

Pariah

There are some superhero costumes that are just awful. There are a lot are are good, or at least pretty good. But there are a few that are iconic--instantly recognized and universally acclaimed (or nearly so). Some examples of costumes I would consider iconic include Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Captain America. There are others, of course, but I think this is a good starting point.

When I think of the costumes I would consider iconic, there are some common elements:

* A bold color scheme. Usually, but not always, two or three primary colors that blend well together (red, white, and blue) or provide visual contrast (black and white).

* A clean, simple design. Iconic costumes don't need accessories. Costumes with a large number of buckles or belt pouches, for example, are right out. Capes are good, Edna notwithstanding. A signature tool or weapon is also good.

* A unique, recognizable symbol. Superman's shield, Batman's bat symbol, Captain America's white star over red and white stripes. With one look you know exactly who you're dealing with.

So now to my questions, which are twofold:

1. What other superhero costumes would you consider iconic?

2. What other design elements and/or attributes make an iconic superhero costume? If you were designing such a costume for a character, what would you include?

I'm interested to read your ideas.

Re: What Makes An Iconic Superhero Costume?

Well, for me personally, you have to keep it relatively simple. Not much difference between Superman, Batman, and the Fantastic Four.

Avoid unnecessary accessories - especially if you never use them. (I'm looking at you, pouches and pockets).

Also I think color is important. All black is cool but it's not going to stand out as much.

Also, Edna Mode and I disagree on capes.

A good Hero costume sould be distinguishable from normal everyday cloths. Sould includ a distinguishable logo. I believe a hero represents not just one country but the entire world so their costume sould not reflect ountry over another. Shoes sould be comfortable for the wearer. That doesnt disclude high heels. some people are more comfortable in heels vs flat shoes. Also a costume sould be practical in functionality. Most use spandex or other material that streaches easily. No matter what hero you are, it seems that your costume defines you as a hero.

The Flash's red suit with yellow boots.

Doctor Doom's iron mask (perhaps the whole suit, but I think all you need is the mask) and green cowl/cape.

Rorschach's mask.

In many ways, this is a study in advertising logo design, really, and if anyone could successfully generate new and unique iconic designs on a regular basis, they'd make a mint doing corporate PR. Unlike advertising, the costume isn't trying a priori to convey a particular idea; rather, you're trying to construct a graphic symbol that commands the memory, and subsequently you can hang on that a particular identity. I think it is essential, though, to have a strong identity to hang on that strong graphic symbol; absent that you don't get to "icon".

I agree with Collie, I think its less about the costume than the man/woman/whatever wearing it. A great costume on a weak hero isn't going to become iconic, but an awesome hero can make pretty much anything iconic (I mean we have Superman/Batman to thank for wearing underwear over your pants for instance.) Nowadays there are a number of tropes that have been ingrained into the collective consciousness of the Supers fan base which mean that certain things are acceptable for no other reason than our favorite hero's did them, (and quite possibly you could find evidence of certain costume concepts near universally reviled because of the bad characterization of the person who was wearing them and the obvious parallels that would be drawn to anyone else sporting the same.)

Green Lantern -

Darkstars -

PRIMUS Avengers - Digital Hero E-Zine #??

Captain Marvel (Marvel) -

Nightwing (Dick Grayson) -

Why? Personal Appeal. Iconic costumes are only part of what makes them Icons. The other part is the meaning invested in them. Captain America literally represents the spirit and ideal of what america dreamnt of being. Spiderman is about responsibility of power and overcoming diversity.

QM

PRIMUS Avengers -

Which ones? Their uniforms have seen several variants over the years: the original PRIMUS and DEMON Avengers, the PRIMUS sourcebook Avengers, the uniforms in the Avengers illustrations from Millennium City and Vibora Bay, or the outfit for Mayte Sanchez from Champions Online that appears in 6E Champions Universe.

I've always been partial to chest emblems--the S-emblem worn by Superman and the others in the Superman Family, the Bat-Emblem worn by Batman and the Bat-Family, the Green Lantern Corps emblem, the lightning bolts worn by the Marvel Family and the Flash Family, the heart emblems worn by the Archie gang as superheroes, the Spider-Emblem worn by Spider-Man and--well, Spider-Man.

I imagine capes would be considered iconic by many outside of comic fandom, even though cape-wearing heroes and villains are in the minority. I'm parital to them myself, although I will concede that Edna has a point. But the drawbacks of a cape can be compensated for easily--and taken advantage of by a clever hero. ("I use my telekinesis to wrap Dr. Abomidable's cape around his head!")

But then, just about any super-costume could be considered iconic, in that they have one thing in common--they define the character in a single image, as much as their deeds. It immediately tells the observer who the wearer is, and what they stand for. A costume does two things--it conceals the original identity, and creates the new one. There's a passage from the book Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman where the villain Doctor Impossible is describing his costume (pgs. 89-90) and it concludes with this paragraph--

"In street clothes I'd just be a criminal. Which I am, of course, but in the costume I'm something more. I wear the flag of a country that never existed, and the uniform of its glorious army, spreading forth the dominion of the invincible empire of me. Doctor Impossible."

Superman without his costume would likely have never become as popular with--well, anyone--as he is with the red-&-blue tights and the cape, not to mention the big red "S." The same with Batman and his Bat-Mask, Bat-Cape, Bat-Symbol and everything else Bat. Not to mention that in-universe he wouldn't be as terrifying to the superstitious, cowardly lot that makes up the majority of the criminal underworld. And the same for any other superhero character, or the luchadores of Mexico--they and their fans understand this better than anyone, I think.

Hope that helps.

There are no iconic costumes.

There are costumes identified with iconic characters.

I agree with this, but only to a point. A couple of counterexamples: I don't think of The Punisher as an iconic character, but I think his costume qualifies. On the other hand, Superman, as a character, is the epitome of iconic...but these costumes aren't.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44947[/ATTACH]

I believe a unique logo/emblem is very important. The character should have a symbol that means them (or possibly their team), a signature. If their look is going to be iconic, then that's the single most important detail. Best examples: Superman, Flash, Batman, Spider-Man, the FF.

Colors, capes, lines, accessories; these are things that come and go, working for some characters while failing on others. Frex, Pouches are generally a no-no, but Batman's utility belt looks fine with them.

I'll echo some other sentiments: there is elegance in simplicity. Modern designers (and re-designers) need to revisit this most elemental of design concepts. No more than three colors (I'll say usually, though I can't think of a good counter-example) and in good contrast/complementary style. Also, a definite distinction from street clothes; it should be an obvious uniform.

Stong primary colors and a distinctive silhouette. The cape helps you recognize Superman, not just because it's a cape, but because of how it moves and how he wears it. You can recognize Batman by his pointy ears and the jagged ends of his cape. Bold, simple, strong color combinations are a must. The Hulk has purple pants and green skin. Not normally my two favorite colors, but the design is so simple, the outline so striking, and the message so clear, that it works. Iron Man/The Flash/Captain Marvel (DC) have red and gold/yellow as their colors, and that's a good combination. Same with the red and blue users. It's visually very appealing.

A strong symbol helps as well. Be it Superman's "S", Flash's lightning bolt, or Wonder Woman's W bra, it should be something easily recognizable and immediately associated with that person. Classic style elements, like art deco designs, incorporate well also.

Superman, as a character, is the epitome of iconic...but these costumes aren't......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44947[/ATTACH]

.......identified with iconic characters.

Lucius Alexander

I may reference backandforthtrians in tagline sometimes, but I don't think you identify me with a backandforthtrian, or vice versa

• 1 month later...

I'll echo some other sentiments: there is elegance in simplicity.

I think this one sentence explains why I dislike so many superhero costumes, especially from the 90s. Excellent observation.