Vampires Unmasked

Steve

This campaign setting is a modern day one where vampires exist, only they are out in the open.

It is a part of the campaign background I am writing where the Fae exist among humanity in a low magic world with limited abilities and have for almost a thousand years. Vampires are a form of Unseelie, the result of a special type of curse that can be given to any human or Fae that is on the brink of death and then feeding them a measure of blood from an existing vampire, who is considered their sire. The Unseelie created it as a way of bolstering their combat ranks, the cursed blood acting as a kind of mystical super-soldier serum.

It was designed to work on Fae or Fae-blooded humans only, but it affects pure-blooded humans as well.

The abilities given by the curse are enhanced strength, agility and constitution (ranging from +5 to +10), a lifespan of 300-400 years and certain other "classic" vampire abilities. Sunlight burns like a flame, but holy symbols only seem to work if the person has true faith in the higher power they worship.

In this world, the Masquerade never quite happened, humans always knowing they really existed, just not knowing who was one. During the 1960s, the newer generations emerged from the shadows and asked for their civil rights. Medical tests showed that vampires don't need to breathe, but their heart beats, pumping Fae-cursed blood. Ingesting human blood sustains them like regular food does for humans, their systems absorbing the life force of the blood somehow. Artificial substitutes or animal blood stave off starvation effects but isn't really satisfying.

I am asking for ideas to flesh out this background item.

The modern world is an analog for our own, only with the addition of various Fae living openly among humans, perhaps 10% of the global population. None of the Fae types are immortal, only longer lived than normal humans.

Re: Vampires Unmasked

Anti-Vampire hate groups would probably be common.

Fae and Vampires in Europe would probably have been targeted during the Holocaust, that would have had severe repercussions on their mindset and culture.

Seelie and Unseelie supported different sides during the Cold War.

The U.S. very controversially used Vampire units during the conflict in Iraq.

In the U.S. stories abound of Vampire 'Hunting Clubs' - Vampires who gather together in remote locations to hunt down and drain captured humans or sometimes locals from isolated communities. The U.S. government denies the existence of such groups but many park rangers and other law enforcement officers in the wilder areas of the country now go armed with weapons said to be effective against Vampires.

The British Royal Family are Seelie Fae and the UK maintains draconian anti-immigration laws against Unseelie and Vampires.

Certain companies offer 'Death Insurance'. Pay your premiums and the company will fit you with a device that monitors your vital signs. If the signs give out then an emergency Vampire is immediately despatched to your location and turns you before you die. A recent ad campaign had the tagline 'We Sire before you Expire!'

There are associations of humans who provide blood voluntarily to vampires. Some are charitable organizations for vampires who are homeless or down on their luck; others are pay-for-service, providing the highest quality and particularly desirable "vintages"; while a few are clubs of "vampire groupies" who, while not wanting to become vampires themselves, find it glamorous to associate with them.

Fae and Vampires in Europe would probably have been targeted during the Holocaust, that would have had severe repercussions on their mindset and culture.

Seelie and Unseelie supported different sides during the Cold War.

The U.S. very controversially used Vampire units during the conflict in Iraq.

In the U.S. stories abound of Vampire 'Hunting Clubs' - Vampires who gather together in remote locations to hunt down and drain captured humans or sometimes locals from isolated communities. The U.S. government denies the existence of such groups but many park rangers and other law enforcement officers in the wilder areas of the country now go armed with weapons said to be effective against Vampires.

The British Royal Family are Seelie Fae and the UK maintains draconian anti-immigration laws against Unseelie and Vampires.

Certain companies offer 'Death Insurance'. Pay your premiums and the company will fit you with a device that monitors your vital signs. If the signs give out then an emergency Vampire is immediately despatched to your location and turns you before you die. A recent ad campaign had the tagline 'We Sire before you Expire!'

These are all really good ideas.

I particularly like the idea of the British Royals being Seelie-blooded. Queen Victoria could still be alive, but nearing the end of a Seelie's 200 year lifespan. That would make sense to have them anti-Unseelie.

With vampires able to live 300-400 years, there would still be people around who were present when the American Revolution happened. Likewise, there could be survivors of the Civil War.

Since being Unseelie doesn't automatically make someone evil in the campaign world I am dreaming up, a vampire could be a peaceable neighbor to have.

Perhaps they could even have children, being still alive after a fashion, but only with another of their race. They aren't undead in the classic sense, but they function more as a type of transhuman life.

I also like the death insurance idea.

Repped!

P.S. Vampire culture has become an internet meme and is also a big influence on global popular culture' date=' fashion and even music; a bit like the spread of styles of music, speech and clothing associated with African American street culture.[/quote']

I suppose it could be a subset addition to modern Goth culture or even replace it.

I like the suggestion.

There are associations of humans who provide blood voluntarily to vampires. Some are charitable organizations for vampires who are homeless or down on their luck; others are pay-for-service' date=' providing the highest quality and particularly desirable "vintages"; while a few are clubs of "vampire groupies" who, while not wanting to become vampires themselves, find it glamorous to associate with them.[/quote']

This makes sense. While vampires can survive on human blood substitutes or animal blood, they would be tired a lot and run down.

If vampires are able to have families with each other, the cool kids in high school may be the vampires.

I particularly like the idea of the British Royals being Seelie-blooded. Queen Victoria could still be alive, but nearing the end of a Seelie's 200 year lifespan. That would make sense to have them anti-Unseelie.

With vampires able to live 300-400 years, there would still be people around who were present when the American Revolution happened. Likewise, there could be survivors of the Civil War.

History may be a much more popular subject/ hobby with more people alive to relate first-hand accounts. I'd also expect a thriving business in "retro" music, art, and fashions, for the larger number of people who grew up when these things were in vogue.

History may be a much more popular subject/ hobby with more people alive to relate first-hand accounts. I'd also expect a thriving business in "retro" music' date=' art, and fashions, for the larger number of people who grew up when these things were in vogue.[/quote']

It suddenly occurs to me that there could be vampire college professors who were alive at those times. They would be able to present personal anecdotes about life during those times. A literature professor could have personally known individuals of literary fame from the past several centuries.

I'm not sure about that. I think it would depend on how common vampires are.

I've imagined a world in which vampires are known to exist--but they're few and far between. So to most people, they're rather like the Mafia. Yes, everyone knows they exist, and that they prey on ordinary people. But most folks have never (knowingly) met one.

Fae and Vampires in Europe would probably have been targeted during the Holocaust' date=' that would have had severe repercussions on their mindset and culture.[/quote']

Not nessesarily. When the russians, French and Brits had enough then Hitler would have kept them around. Maybe the "Arian Übermensch" was even supposed to have Vampire blood. Or there were special sudivisions in the SS/Waffen SS for Vampires only. Maybe hilter was a Vampire and instead of using cyanide he and Eva Braun just walked outside.

Or they were discriminated against, but simply conscripted anyway like a significant amount of Jews was...

I've only got this only from hearsay, but one of the things he said in his book (Mein Kampf) was:

"The horse has long been used by humanity and no doubt done much good for it. But in doing so it inevitably created a situation in wich it is disposable (creation of the automibile)."

The original massive killing and sterilisation of german people with physical disablements was stopped because too many protested. So as long as there is a need they would have been kept around (for now).

There are associations of humans who provide blood voluntarily to vampires. Some are charitable organizations for vampires who are homeless or down on their luck; others are pay-for-service' date=' providing the highest quality and particularly desirable "vintages"; while a few are clubs of "vampire groupies" who, while not wanting to become vampires themselves, find it glamorous to associate with them.[/quote']

Fallout 3:

One of the sidequest leads to a Vilage where a family was murdered and their son is missing (it later turns out he was the murder by accident). Investigation leads too a group who acts like vampires (drinking blood) but isn't. Still they are not bad people (they only fed on the boys parents, because they were already dead). One of the Good Karma options is to convince the population of the Village to donate them blood for protection.

In a similar way I once stumbeled upon a webcomic. The basic outline was in short:

The zombie appocalipse came and now Vampires protect the remaining humans for blood - because they would be dead without them (even if they have nothing to fear from Zombies).

In a similar way I once stumbeled upon a webcomic. The basic outline was in short:

The zombie appocalipse came and now Vampires protect the remaining humans for blood - because they would be dead without them (even if they have nothing to fear from Zombies).

Last Blood

http://lastblood.keenspot.com/

i do not know if someone has said it or not, but for something close (not the same) in the urban fantasy genre I would suggest reading the Mercy Thompson series. They are short pop corn style books, but basicly the fey creatures all get the raw end of the deal and people are racist against them. The werewolves are suspect as well.

i do not know if someone has said it or not' date=' but for something close (not the same) in the urban fantasy genre I would suggest reading the Mercy Thompson series. They are short pop corn style books, but basicly the fey creatures all get the raw end of the deal and people are racist against them. The werewolves are suspect as well.[/quote']

That's the second recommendation I've gotten for this series. It sounds like I'll have to check it out.