Teen Ice / Cold based Character Needed

quozaxx

Note: This is one of the things that got "misplaced" during the shut down.

I would like help in creating a cold or ice based Teen Champions character. I don't want to just copy powers off of Champions Powers.

So I would like your help. The character is Low-Powered Superhero. So 300 total points, 60 Complications and no more than 35 points in any Complication

The character needs to be a teen. Just learning their powers. So, no VPP. Limitations are encouraged. when this character is finished, I will add him to my next Haymaker submission, (and, of course, acknowledge all that help me create this character)

First questions

1. Super name / nickname

2. Male or female (or other)

3. Hero or villain (or neither / hasn't chosen yet) Thanks for any help you guys give me!

Re: Teen Ice / Cold based Character Needed

First questions

1. Super name / nickname

2. Male or female (or other)

3. Hero or villain (or neither / hasn't chosen yet) Thanks for any help you guys give me!

1 - Ohladiti (Croatian for freeze)

2 - Female (15 yr old)

3 - Hero

Here is a backstory that I have come up for her: Fabela Fumic was born to a Croatian upper-class business leader. Everyone thought that they were a pillar of society, at least until they shipped her off to America. Shortly after she was moved, her father was arrested, apparently ever since he was a young child he was skimming the books of the company that he worked for. Just before he discovered the police were about to arrest him, he could not get himself out, but he was able to get his only daughter out and to the only safe place that he hoped for - [Campaign City]. To pay for her time here, he gave her as much finances as he was able to transfer into her name, making her moderately well-off. Not long after she arrived, she discovered what happened to her father back in Croatia and why and took a personal vow to right the wrongs that he has made in any way that she can. About the same time, the stresses of the move combined with having someone try to mug her activated her latent mutant powers and she had froze the would-be mugger. When she realized what she had done, she took the name Ohladiti since that is the Croatian word for frozen.

1 - Ohladiti (Croatian for freeze)

2 - Female (15 yr old)

3 - Hero

Here is a backstory that I have come up for her: Fabela Fumic was born to a Croatian upper-class business leader. Everyone thought that they were a pillar of society, at least until they shipped her off to America. Shortly after she was moved, her father was arrested, apparently ever since he was a young child he was skimming the books of the company that he worked for. Just before he discovered the police were about to arrest him, he could not get himself out, but he was able to get his only daughter out and to the only safe place that he hoped for - [Campaign City]. To pay for her time here, he gave her as much finances as he was able to transfer into her name, making her moderately well-off. Not long after she arrived, she discovered what happened to her father back in Croatia and why and took a personal vow to right the wrongs that he has made in any way that she can. About the same time, the stresses of the move combined with having someone try to mug her activated her latent mutant powers and she had froze the would-be mugger. When she realized what she had done, she took the name Ohladiti since that is the Croatian word for frozen.

Good skills in her background.

Money (Well-off)

AK Knowledge: Croatia

Passport

And even a freezing (Entangle) power.

Now that we have a basis for Ohladiti (how do you pronounce that?) what other skills can we give this 15 year old girl? I believe every character should have skills, because that rounds out the character. I also always start with skills over powers and Complications.

Stats, well, lets see

STR - 8 seems about right to me, nothing about her background or powers suggests any increases in strength. We may want to give her some form of "Slipperyness" sfx "ice coating" that is built as extra STR vs Grabs or some Entangles. Possibly a "Contortionist" Skill as a power, with appropriate Lim.s

DEX - She is a young, and a super, so a decent DEX score is probably called for. I would put her as "slightly above average" for your campaign setting. I wouldn't put her at "Dex based character" levels tho, probably 15-20 (depending on the norm for your setting).

CON - I am seeing her as rather frail (comparatively speaking), definitely not a brick concept. Stunning should be something she fears. 10-12

INT - Nothing in her background or currently addressed skills speaks to a need (or reasoning) for high INT, 8-10

EGO - Her vendetta speaks to a fierce will, whether it is really a strong will or not remains to be seen. This should be increased at least some (15ish)

PRE - This really depends on what you want her to do as a character. If you buy this up she is probably very aggressive, likely to lash out and intimidate (PRE attacks at the start of any attack). If you want to really play up the vendetta angle pump this up. If she is more quiet and reserved leave it alone.

The rest of the stats all depend on the campaign. She will need average SPD, and PD/ED/STUN/END/BODY etc high enough to be viable, but I don't see her as a "tough" character, more DCV based. Also, if she is going with traditional Ice powers I envision her as probably throwing up walls of Ice as her main defensive power (keeping DCV rather low).

I know you asked for an ice based teen, but I am a fan of unusual and non-standard characters. What about instead of your traditional "ice projector" we make her a mental ice character. Her powers are all based on MCV, her entangle is a mental paralysis that leaves you feeling cold and frozen (and if this was a cartoon/movie would probably have you breathing out fog like you would in winter, even in the heat of summer). Play her up as a hard/harsh type, "Frozen inside at the loss of her father, and determined to see the people who killed him pay". Quotes like "Revenge is a dish best served Cold" and the like. You don't have to push her all the way to anti-hero status (and if it was me I wouldn't). But play up the innocence lost angle.

Just an idea.

She's not for a campaign per se. She is for an E-magazine article that can fit in many different Teen games.

I do have an evil adult ice mentalist I created for the E-magazine (Haymaker), but it is something to think about. Thank you for your input.

She needs Skills, an attack, and some sort of defense and possibly a movement power.

I like the idea of keeping her concept as a rather "new" character to the fight scene. OCV should stay rather low, but we need her to be able to do something in combat, So what about an AOE 1m Rad/Accurate attack. That allows her to have a decent chance at hitting anyone she needs to without making her seem like a trained combatant.

For Defenses what about a bunch of DCV with limitations to represent a "slick" ice coating she covers herself in, the SFX is that attacks seem to "slide right off her" so its DCV not DEF.

Something like: +x DCV, Nonpersistent (-1/4), Costs End to Activate (-1/4), Ablative (-1/2), Doesn't work against Fire based attacks (-1/4)

Or I see you made her entangle a Mental power, so possibly the same Idea but with more "mental" sfx Mist image, she appears to have a cloud of mist surrounding her, making it difficult to determine where exactly she is, granting +'s to DCV: +x DCV, Costs End (-1/2) ,LP: Power looses some effectiveness vs MD (-1 DCV vs attacks from a target for every 5 MD target has) (-1/2)

Instead of the LP for that you might use RAR with the Proportional limitation from APG. Define the roll as a "Mental Attack Roll (OMCV vs DMCV)" and she gains her DCV based upon how well she makes her Mental Attack Roll

For skills: Noncombat: High Society, Language: English (Croation is Native), Charm, Conversation, PS: Dancing (could lead into some form of Martial Training eventually if the player wanted to devlop in that way), She should probably have a fairly high point Contact (I doubt Daddy shuffled her off to America without sending her to SOMEONE he knew). Anonymity might be good as well (I am not familiar with the political situation in Croatia but a Hunted as a member of the police/government looking for her thinking she might know where daddy stashed his ill gotten gains (or that she could be used as leverage against her father) might be appropriate. Anonymity represents that she is here under a false name and knows she is being searched for and so is trying to hide.

One or two levels of Combat Luck would be good for her (I don't see her wearing or obtaining any form of body armor and +'s to DCV are never a guarantee.

Environmental Movement (Ice) of course.

Just some suggestions :) Not trying to build your character here but I love building characters and once you ask my mental juices start to flowing so I gotta post :P

if you are going mental then maybe a drain speed?

Drain SPD 2d6, Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Mental Defense; +0), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +1/4), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Cumulative (48 points; +1) (50 Active Points)

Slows the damage coming in.

2d6 Drain Spd isn't going to be very useful unless you are designing her as a primary "debuffer" toon. She will need to use this twice to have a reasonable chance at affecting anyone's speed, and since it will fade 10 pts per turn (from the two drains) she will have to use it twice per TURN to maintain the effect. (Also, from when I tried to use a Drain SPD previously I was informed that many GM's hate speed modification powers due to the weird way you have to handle them). And finally Drains are already technically cumulative so that modifier has no effect on a Drain.

(Note: I did toss around the idea of a speed drain in my head for a bit but decided it was really not useful. Her entangle would be a better tactical choice in almost any situation (similar effect, it will take the target a couple of phases to "break out" of the entangle before he can do anything, which is similar to what a spd drain would do anyway. And the entangle may cost him some END as well, while a SPD drain does not.)

She needs Skills, an attack, and some sort of defense and possibly a movement power.

I like the idea of keeping her concept as a rather "new" character to the fight scene. OCV should stay rather low, but we need her to be able to do something in combat, So what about an AOE 1m Rad/Accurate attack. That allows her to have a decent chance at hitting anyone she needs to without making her seem like a trained combatant.

For Defenses what about a bunch of DCV with limitations to represent a "slick" ice coating she covers herself in, the SFX is that attacks seem to "slide right off her" so its DCV not DEF.

Something like: +x DCV, Nonpersistent (-1/4), Costs End to Activate (-1/4), Ablative (-1/2), Doesn't work against Fire based attacks (-1/4)

Or I see you made her entangle a Mental power, so possibly the same Idea but with more "mental" sfx Mist image, she appears to have a cloud of mist surrounding her, making it difficult to determine where exactly she is, granting +'s to DCV: +x DCV, Costs End (-1/2) ,LP: Power looses some effectiveness vs MD (-1 DCV vs attacks from a target for every 5 MD target has) (-1/2)

Instead of the LP for that you might use RAR with the Proportional limitation from APG. Define the roll as a "Mental Attack Roll (OMCV vs DMCV)" and she gains her DCV based upon how well she makes her Mental Attack Roll

For skills: Noncombat: High Society, Language: English (Croation is Native), Charm, Conversation, PS: Dancing (could lead into some form of Martial Training eventually if the player wanted to devlop in that way), She should probably have a fairly high point Contact (I doubt Daddy shuffled her off to America without sending her to SOMEONE he knew). Anonymity might be good as well (I am not familiar with the political situation in Croatia but a Hunted as a member of the police/government looking for her thinking she might know where daddy stashed his ill gotten gains (or that she could be used as leverage against her father) might be appropriate. Anonymity represents that she is here under a false name and knows she is being searched for and so is trying to hide.

One or two levels of Combat Luck would be good for her (I don't see her wearing or obtaining any form of body armor and +'s to DCV are never a guarantee.

Environmental Movement (Ice) of course.

Just some suggestions :) Not trying to build your character here but I love building characters and once you ask my mental juices start to flowing so I gotta post :P

Thanks, Once you apply the Cost END to Activate it goes automatically Nonpersistent

I dropped the Ablative. That's always hard to work with anyways.

Your "Mist" power almost sounds like a Damage Negations attack. Did you see it as an Image? or extra DCV? I wrote it up as an image

I have not used many APG Powers, Limitations or Advantages. I will have to read up on that.

My original vision was extra DCV, the affect was she was "harder to see" so harder to hit, it was meant as an alternate to the "slick Ice coating", not sure what the effect of it is right now using it as Images (what exactly is she doing with the images? is it simulating Darkness making her harder to see? I don't know that RAW it will work like that.... Right now the only thing I think it will do is make it hard to tell who she is unless you are intending it to create "mist shapes" and such.)

I would link the Spd Drain to the Entangle. Otherwise it is simply not a very effective attack (unless you intend for it to be like that). She uses one of her phases to remove one of his (it will only last long enough to remove one phase) and that's if she hits (highly unlikely unless he is already entangled due to her low OCV), rolls a high enough result on her effect dice (slightly better than 50% chance) and he doesn't have any PwD. The entangle will effectively do the same thing unless the target has a really high Casual STR (and possibly even more as it could negate multiple phases, the SPD drain can only negate 1). Of course linking the SPD drain to the entangle makes for a truly nasty attack :), so up to you.

Unique ice-based movement ideas:

"Icy Wind Flight" Flight with either a linked CE that drops the Temperature level a bit, or a 0 pt side effect that it leaves a layer of frost behind. (IE no in game effect, just a Schtick thing).

wow, that was all I could come up with. Movement is tough for this concept.

Does she need a standard attack of some sort? some way to deal damage or do you want to leave her as a straight debuffer?

That was why the speed drain was a AoE attack (DCV 3), no one would stay where they felt like there mussels where freezing up.

For a damaging attack, maybe a mental Icepick to the brain? a Mental Blast?

One more thought, for the Entangle, how about mental paralysis?

Takes no Damage from Attacks (physical)(3/4) and Works Against EGO, not STR (1/4)?

I personally like the mist images. by making them real images instead of mental images really makes her stand out as a unique character.

I made some changes, mostly based on the comments you mentioned. Please note: I left out a Multipower on purpose. This gives her more flexibility on what she can do all at once, and it gives her the "Teen just learning" kind of feel.

She is at 300 pts. So Next up is Complications.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45260&d=1354456508&thumb=1&stc=1