Duplication Hijinks

Cinniuint

Am trying to build a character with duplication, and no base character. (or all the duplicates are base characters) What I mean is that any duplicate can recombine with any other, not just with the base character. Naturally, all the duplicates are identical. The logical way to handle this, IMHO, is to make all the duplicates pay for the duplication. Unfortunately, the rulebook suggests they do that anyway. I am currently just ignoring that particular problem.

I have also purchased, easy, ranged, invisible fx recombination, based on EGO and mind link for all the duplicates. So a duplicate can choose to recombine at a distance, leaving a dead body behind.

Creating a duplicate is much more time consuming. Takes six hours to make a duplicate, and the process requires conservation of mass, so the character needs to eat a LOT, or make a very small duplicate.

I have set Conservation of Mass at -1/2 for shrinking and -2 for Growth and Density Increase.

I would be interested in any feedback people might want to give on these points.

The character is a shapeshifter.

Re: Duplication Hijinks

Depending on how individual the duplicates are, you might consider using Summon instead, where the orginial character Summons an exact copy of himself. You might give them Mind Link to stay connected if appropriate.

One drawback of this approach is that you can only have a limited number of Summoned individuals for each, but if you set that number high enough it shouldn't really impact play too much.

I think you would have to have all dup include "regeneration/death", with some mods on it . Core rules say..."kill a dup, lose him forever"...how are you overcoming that?

Cheaper way would be to buy "Summon, agreeable +1X" and put regeneration/ death on the "BASE" guy

Since the character will be maintaining many, many scattered identities, I really think that Duplication, rather than Summon is the way to go here.

I hope to usually rely on recombining before death, creating the appearance of death with the left behind body. Starting character lacks either the regen/death option or the house rule option that follows:

Immortality: 30 points. The character cannot die except (exception).

In the character's case, that would mean that the character could only die if all of the characters bodies were killed, or individual dupes could be killed if first mentally secluded. (Mind link severed somehow)

I would also like to hear comment on the 'conservation of mass' limitation. I have combined this limitation with the time delay limitation, which seems a little like taking the same or similar limitations twice.

I think you would have to have all dup include "regeneration/death"' date=' with some mods on it . Core rules say..."kill a dup, lose him forever"...how are you overcoming that?[/quote']

Buy more Duplicates. By the time you get to the 5th or 6th multiplier ... you're usually good for the duration of a campaign.

I'm not sure "conservation of mass" is really a limitation. Is this an impoverished area with severe lack of food? How often do you expect to run into the problem of "not enough food to create a dupe"? If it's modern America, he could just stop by White Gastle and pickup a case of 30. As you stated above, it actually becomes an advantage for being able to pick a new size/density for the duplicate, but you're already paying points for those as separate powers.

The limitation comes from the fact that it must be organic matter, at least, that is consumed to gain mass. When in captivity, getting enough to eat to make full size dupe could be difficult to impossible. In the ocean, it would be easy. Since this character cannot turn into the Blob, and simply absorb organic matter at high speed, it creates time delays. In an urban environment, it might also be difficult to find cheap biomass that isn't impolitic to consume(Sorry about your rosebushes!). I estimate 800 BigMacs to create one full size dupe, or achieve one level of growth or density increase. Well.. maybe less. Water might do for a good portion of the weight. And water, at least, can be absorbed and used very quickly. For shrinking (with shapeshift) Just sloughing off excess mass allows for a fairly quick change. The problem here is the excess mass can be something of an embarrassment. As the character is rich, I don't really expect the cost of food to be an issue. But the character will have to spend hours creating a duplicate, and will have to spend hours eating to gain the mass to do so. Several levels of shrinking means that the character will need hours of eating to turn off each level of shrinking. Perhaps I could define it as gestures and incantations, continuous while activating power with time delay.

Will have to look it up, but that seems like the answer to me.

I am still interested in opinions regarding no base form duplication. Is having each dupe pay for the cost of dupoication enough' date=' or do I need some adder or advantage?[/quote']

Honestly, I would treat it mostly as SFX as part of Ranged Recombination, Easy Recombination, Rapid Duplication, and see if the GM might allow a Ranged Duplication Advantage.

It'll probably get expensive, but then choosing any one 'character' as the 'base' might have some implications I'm not thinking of.

Actually, the character concept disallows both rapid and ranged duplication. It takes six hours to make a duplicate, and the duplicate has to split off from an already existing duplicate, not out of thin air. Easy and rapid recombination are possible because all that needs to recombine is the mind, and that can happen through Mind Link.

I'm not sure how Duplication has changed in 6E, but for a 5E version, you can use the +1/2 Ranged Duplication (along with Easy Recombination), allowing your characters to recombine from a distance. The "dead body" could be a special effect, but you might be required to purchase Simulate Death and/or maybe a small Transform with a Trigger.

By rule, there must be a base form. This is the one that actually gains XP. This is a game mechanic, not a special effect, that you're looking for. Something to consider is to purchase Duplication twice. One form of duplication is built on full character points. The other is built on full character points minus the full cp Duplication. This allows the Duplicates to create Duplicates themselves. It also allows the main body to create twice as many, but half of them won't have the Duplication ability.

Another option is to purchase Duplication twice, both for full character points required, but put a limitation on one (or both, depending on GM's feelings) that states "cannot create more than n Duplicates total," if you (or the GM) want to have a set number. For example:

Duplicationx4

Duplicationx4 (no more than 4 Duplicates present at one time -x)

Thus, the main guy can create four OR the main guy can create one, the second guy can create one and the third guy can create one and you're finished. Or, the main guy creates one, the second guy creates two and you're finished.

As for the extra-time limitation, you could include the Gestures limitation as well, showing he has to eat throughout.

Overall, I like it. It sounds like a good concept.

Duplication is one of those things that are pretty abuseable. As long as you and your GM are OK with it, what you have now seems fine. Duplication + your Immortality advantage sounds fine to simulate not having a base duplicate, as long as all duplicates have it and pay for it. Six hours to create a duplicate sounds like a reasonable restriction to me. A little bit of growth and shrinking adds a bit of "oomph" and flexibility to the character.

I guess the only thing that has me a wee bit concerned is the six hour thing. You'll obviously want to start play with several characters in play. As long as the GM is cool with your ability to juggle several characters at once, then this won't be a problem however. It strictly a concern about playability and time. Don't forget that everyone else at the table needs some time in the spotlight too!

Will start play with many duplicates created. They will mostly be busy holding down secret IDs scattered throughout the English speaking world. Should be very rare that I have more than 4 existing forms to draw into an adventure, and very rare that I create more than four dupes during the course of the adventure.

The character will also have two hero identities, stolen from an earlier character:

Doppleganger, a male shapeshifter who can take any human form, and

Weress, a female with one level growth, one level D.I. And the ability to take on werewolf shape with 2d6 HKA claws.

Both characters actually have an identical power suite, of course.

The original Weress & Doppleganger had only 4 forms max.

Have built a number of characters that risked becoming the focus of the campaign, or of stealing every scene. My last one had an uncontrollable multiform with 32 forms and Multiple Personality Disorder. Was very careful with that one, and quizzed the other players regularly to make sure no one felt crowded out. Everyone really liked the character, and was disappointed when I played something else. I think that the secret of the success of the character was that it was entertaining, and also usually a combat wimp. I expect this character to be combat weak, but not so much so. Also less entertaining and scene stealing, but with even greater out of combat utility.

Actually' date=' the character concept disallows both rapid and ranged duplication. It takes six hours to make a duplicate, and the duplicate has to split off from an already existing duplicate, not out of thin air. Easy and rapid recombination are possible because all that needs to recombine is the mind, and that can happen through Mind Link.[/quote']

Well, the Ranged Duplication is to 'remove' the idea of the Base Character, they can have a Duplicate form anywhere there is the another Duplicate to split off from.