Northern Guard (Canadian Super Hero team)

LWhitehead

Hi folks I need help with my setting for the Northern Guard a triple A super hero team, there based in Vancouver BC.

I know in the past that Canadian Superheroes and team are the butt of jokes, even Champions 5th version had few reguarding there Canadian supers.

For this to work I need to make Canadian much stronger then it`s currently not compared to the USA, Northern Guard is on the same level of The Avengers or Justice League.

Northern Guard was first formed during WW2 there charter dates for time as well signed by PM King, one of things stated on this charter is that Northern Guard is free from Goverment medding like what Alpa Flight suffered from.

Canada has to be stronger then it`s are world, this is the Canada has too be suitable for Super heroes and villians, it also has there own Army, Navy and Airforce. Not like how we Canadians have a Bathtub toy Navy, Kite Airforce and model solider Army.

LW

Re: Northern Guard (Canadian Super Hero team)

Greetings Program, I have been struggling with creating a Champions Super Group for Vancouver for years and a National Super Group as well so I am eager to see what you write up and how much I can steal for my own campaign.

Government Sanctioned Super Teams

1. Canadian History and Politics lead me to believe that the Government would not be able to sustain a Public Super Group.

2. Canadian Culture and Media would require a respected Mentor.

3. Canadian based UNTIL Team Unity or Superhero Liaison Program.

4. Law Enforcement acceptance would be individulized, but Publicly disapproved of. Rivalry between the RCMP and Municiple Police might very.

5. Public Relations would be key. The Justice System is flawed enough that forward momentum and popular opinion would balance on a razors edge.

IMOHO

QM

Just to confirm, LWhitehead, do you own or have access to Champions Of The North for Fifth Edition HERO System? It's a supplement dealing with the superhuman scene in Canada in the official Champions Universe. There was a COTN for Fourth Edition, but the more recent one operates on a higher power level, and the Canadian characters are not jokes compared to US supers.

BTW it doesn't feature a team currently based in Vancouver, so you would have freedom to establish one. ;)

If you don't have it, and/or aren't interested in drawing from that book, we'll carry on here on that basis. :)

Don't confuse Steve Long's friendly ribbing with Canadians being jokes. Put Forceknight, Ravenspeaker, and Celestar on a team together, and very few bad guys will be laughing.

There was a Northern Guard in the official Champions Universe. It's gone now; the closest is Toronto's StarForce, which is a moderate level team, but capable, and which will get a modest experience boost and a bit of a reshuffling of its membership if I ever rework it for 6e.

In official Champions Universe, Vancouver's superhero contingent is Ravenspeaker, the vigilante/Dark Champions Lion Khalsa Singh, and (occasionally) the semi-retired Thundrax and a few old members of the 1980s team SUNDER like Solar Sentinel or Flux who can come out of retirement. Canada's superhumans will likely be increased if I ever do a 6e book: you, of course, are welcome to do your own thing and good luck to you. If we can help you beyond recommending official sources, let us know.

There's also an addendum to COTN, if it interests you.

https://www.herogames.com/get/COTNOuttakes.pdf

I think a Vancouver-based team should include an aquatic character, an Aquaman or Sub-Mariner analog. Or maybe a character with water-based powers. In any case, Vancouver's a coastal city, so make use of all that water!

Vancouver also has, as I recall, the second largest Chinatown in North America (right after San Francisco). A super from that part of the city--a martial arts expert or Chinese mystic, maybe--would certainly seem appropriate.

If you want a different flavor of mysticism, you could go Native. The 2010 Winter Games featured a lot of First Nations stuff in the opening and closing ceremonies. Even if you choose not to go with the mystical route, a Native team member of some kind would be appropriate.

Just a few suggestions. I hope these will spark some ideas for characters!

Don't confuse Steve Long's friendly ribbing with Canadians being jokes. Put Forceknight, Ravenspeaker, and Celestar on a team together, and very few bad guys will be laughing.

There was a Northern Guard in the official Champions Universe. It's gone now; the closest is Toronto's StarForce, which is a moderate level team, but capable, and which will get a modest experience boost and a bit of a reshuffling of its membership if I ever rework it for 6e.

In official Champions Universe, Vancouver's superhero contingent is Ravenspeaker, the vigilante/Dark Champions Lion Khalsa Singh, and (occasionally) the semi-retired Thundrax and a few old members of the 1980s team SUNDER like Solar Sentinel or Flux who can come out of retirement. Canada's superhumans will likely be increased if I ever do a 6e book: you, of course, are welcome to do your own thing and good luck to you. If we can help you beyond recommending official sources, let us know.

There's also an addendum to COTN, if it interests you.

https://www.herogames.com/get/COTNOuttakes.pdf

Just out of curiosity, how would you reshuffle and what new powers/abilities would you give the characters? Keep it as genral as you can. If you can't answer because of certain reasones I will understand!

Vancouver makes me think of

Water (aquatic hero)

Mountains (Earth based)

China town (Martial Arts)

Native Canadians (Mystic)

Animals (insert animal themed hero here)

Tech (PA/Gadeteer)

Imigrant for RoC (Rest of Canada based hero moved to BC)

Until/RCMP liason (Super Agent)

Just out of curiosity' date=' how would you reshuffle and what new powers/abilities would you give the characters? Keep it as genral as you can. If you can't answer because of certain reasones I will understand![/quote']

Scott outlined the changes he'd like to make to Champions Of The North for 6E on this thread:

Changes I Would Make in a COTN6.

Looking at about a 256 page book, available as PDF only. Possibly with a small 96 page book available for those who have the 5th edition COTN and only want the changes.

Revisions

History

A couple of gaps in the real world timeline would be filled. Substantially more details on the history of the major superteams would be added.

Canada-US Relations

With Necrull's defeat, and the assistance of American superhumans against Kigatilik, the border has become more relaxed to superhumans, However, there's still some tensions, especially when American heroes ignore Canadian sovereignty and attempt to transport villains across the border, or carry heavy ordinance. Additionally, a secret base was discovered on Canadian soil, built by an American security agency researching WMDs, which also caused controversy.

Updates

Each of the major city sections would be updated for the current date, and errors corrected. I'll be asking for more info from gamers on what should be included in descriptions of their city, and if I can find a few public domain maps to include, I will.

Major Events

New events covered by the history section include:

- The release of Kigatilik and the battle of Lynx's Fold to drive him back into the Frost Tomb.

- The defeat of Necrull, and his slow rebirth.

- Borealis's two week conquest of Toronto.

- The Roin'esh invasion of Steelhead (and how Canada joined the space race) and the subsequent creation of the New Canadian Rocket Brigade and Canada's own orbiting space base.

- Stormcaster's attack on Newfoundland and the death and subsequent transformation of Argosy.

- The death of Wally Thompson (pending Cryptic approval), the original Forceknight.

Heroes and Villains

STARFORCE 2012

Now pretty much the de facto National team, though they're still mostly dealing with Toronto issues, they do help out the Steelheads when called upon. The current roster is:

Justiciar: Canadian cyborg, leader, industrialist, and (gay) husband.

Prism Girl: Perky Greek-Canadian heroine.

Dust Devil: Rambunctious and surly Western Canadian brickhouse.

Forceknight (VI): Sean Doerksen, teenage son of Forceknight III, probationary member.

Astral: Celestar's cosmically imbued daughter, now sharing some of her father's power.

Argos: Prince of Water Elementals, now inhabiting the vastly changed body of Argosy.

Reserve members: Thundrax, Ravenspeaker, the Constable, three unnamed supers (probably can be bought as kickstarter levels). Also, Starforce's AI Kivioq will be described.

Other Heroes: I'll also solicit from friends, in both PnP and Champions Online, about 8-10 Canadian NPC heroes who'll get a brief mention in the city writeups (possibly included as kickstarter levels.).

Other Significant Character Changes:

The Constable

He resigned from Starforce to become Derringer's right hand man in the Steelhead division.

Forceknight V

Alice Hellion is now Rocketknight, head of the New Canadian Rocket Brigade.

Celestar

Lon stupidly attempted to force his way into the Frost Tomb to free his imprisoned teammates, nearly opening a catastrophic rift that could have brought about a new Ice Age. He was punished by the Land, who stripped him of some of his power, granting it to his illegitimate teenage daughter, Astral.

Steelhead Division

There'll be more info on some of the people introduced to Steelhead in Champions Online, especially in Whiteout.

Villains

Kigatilik is now active, as seen in Champions Villains Volume One.

Punition will be forced into at least temporary retirement (he attempted to form an alliance with Nihil and to his horror, he was treated as "just another Canadian" by the insane Nazi, whose hatred of Canadians didn't seem to make any allowances for Quebec sovereigntists). A new Quebecois feature villain will emerge in his place.

Necrull will be slightly reimagined, as he has been reduced in power, he's turning back to more of his pulp science background and performing new, grisly Necrullitic experiments.

At least one new villain team (probably the Bannermen, a coalition of disaffected children of silver and bronze age heroes led by the Black Banner) and several new supervillains will be detailed. I want to go back and work in the Leonarch from the original proposal; Borealis's crew will get at least two new members, H.E.C.T.O.R (a battlesuit engineer), and one other to be decided later.

The Hunter-Patriots

The H-Ps have suffered a major defeat with two of their three most important leaders captured and cut off from the H-P psi link. However, other more dangerous ones have stepped up in their place, including the Perfect Patriot, who claims to be a rogue clone of Teleios (the truth will be more complicated), and the battlesuit-clad brickhouse Dark Dreadnought, who's trying to turn the H-Ps into an unknowing instrument for his true masters, ARGENT.

VIPER

The ancient power of The Whisperer in Jade has been reborn, and is extending its curse across Canada again, including an attempt to infiltrate VIPER. However a new power has risen, the Ascendant, a Project: Awakening created telepath who has her own plans for VIPER in the true North.

Cyberlord

The creator of Justiciar's cybernetics and his arch-enemy (and father-in-law!) has

returned. But what are his secrets?

Tilingkoot

The demon of the lost also suffered a defeat along with his (now former) master Kigatilik, but has regrouped and is in the process of extending his influence into the remnants of DEMON in Canada.

GM Section

More cool bits of Canadiana, a list of differences between Canadian law and American law that might trip up a GM, a list of items and businesses unique to Canada, and various American chains with little to no presence here.

NEW SECTIONS

Wild West Canada: Packages and information for running Canada in Old West campaigns.

Pulp Canada: Packages and information for running Canada in pulp campaigns.

The Worlds of Canada: We'll be covering the mystic world, the martial world, the mercenary world, and the business world, and also clarifying the place of various mystic entities in the Champions Universe cosmology.

Due to its importance in Champions Online, Force Station Steelhead will be described, though there will likely be a few changes (some of the sub-sections of that zone, such as the sasquatch villages, will probably be left undocumented for computer game players to discover).

You could certainly modify the Engineer that way for a given campaign; but based on her background text and as per her character sheet, she doesn't have the necessary expertise, nor is that the focus of her efforts. In fact if she did, she probably wouldn't be as desperate for companionship -- she'd create her own. ;)