Building a ladder with Powers

quozaxx

OK, I would like to know how to "build" a ladder using Powers

I know that it is an OAF, and Usable by others, but would you just put it as Climbing? Clinging? Telekinesis? Once you put the ladder down, others can use it to go over a Barrier (for example) Does it need the constant Advantage?

How would YOU build a ladder using Powers?

Re: Building a ladder with Powers

Ladder: (Total: 12 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) Clinging (normal STR), Persistent (+1/4) (12 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Ladder: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) +10 with Climbing (20 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate (set up ladder), -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 6)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to build a Power using a ladder

I generally wouldn't.

But if I felt that I had to I would first try a dodge by just claiming it as a conditionally necessary "tool" to use the Climbing Skill.

If pressed, I would probably next go to limited Stretching.

If that didn't fly, Clinging.

I like Lucius' second build for the ladder personally. It make it super easy to climb something and if you're already skilled at climbing, its just that much better. I would however remove the concentration limitation since there's already rules for that regarding climbing in the base rules (I think).

OK, I would like to know how to "build" a ladder using Powers

I know that it is an OAF, and Usable by others, but would you just put it as Climbing? Clinging? Telekinesis? Once you put the ladder down, others can use it to go over a Barrier (for example) Does it need the constant Advantage?

Is the ladder just a ladder that some one carries around or a power effect that simulates the effect without having to carry around a ladder?

If its just a ladder just call it a ladder and say people can climb up it to its length and needs no costing or build.

If its a power and requires costing out it would depend on the SFX for its final cost but I possibly cost it as clinging or just a climb roll skill.

Agree with Killer Shrike.

However, either of the builds seem reasonable except there is no finite length to the ladder. Is it meant to be an infinite tool type special effect or, you know, erm, an actual ladder?

It's a Bulky Focus. You can't go off and leave it and still be using the Power. The Power basically only works while you're in contact with the Focus, so when you climb to the top of the ladder, you have to stop. Well, you can keep Climbing, but you don't get the benefit of the ladder. Unless Bulky Foci in your game are routinely assumed to be infinite in one or more dimensions, there is no reason to assume this one would be either.

Lucius Alexander

Bulky Obvious Inaccessible Palindromedary