12 months, 12 characters, The Martial artist

death tribble

Well June has well and truely started so we now have the Martial Artist. Whether this be someone who is a martial artist trained from the get go like Shang Chi and Iron Fist or someone like Batman who uses martial arts, there is quite a bit of diversity across the piste for the character.

There are also the video games like Mortal Combat, Streetfighter, DoA, Soul Caliber and Dynasty Warriors which give us lots of different styles.

And then there is the unquestioned master of Martial Arts, Bruce Lee. His style ? Fighting without fighting. This is the guy who beat Chuck Norris after all.

First questions are these STR will be around 20. But could be 25 to 30. What think the rest of you ?

The DEX will be a minimum of 23 as this is the base DEX but will probably be higher 26, 29 or 30 but maybe even 35. Again what think we ?

The base speed is 5 so the Martial artist should be that at least but maybe 6 or 7 but a maximum of 8. Again thoughts ?

The defenses PD and ED wil be low as this is a martial artist but if someone can come up with a good archetype armour could lessen the blows.

How smart (INT), how much of an egoist (EGO) and how impressive (PRE) is our martial artist ?

Also artwise it is likely to be a man as we already did the Beautiful Femal Martial Artist archetype who was Korean and wore a Cheongasm.

For armor, how about a tough costume / track suit / whatev made of a blend - Nomex, a fireproof fabric used for racing car driver's suits, and Spectra, a balloon fabric several times lighter and stronger than Kevlar?

Physical Feats

Bruce Lee's phenomenal fitness allowed him to perform numerous exceptional physical feats:

Lee could land a punch in around five hundredths of a second (0.05 second) from 3 feet away, and from 5 feet away it was around eight hundredths of a second (0.08 second).

Lee could take in one arm a 75 lb barbell from a standing position with the barbell held flush against his chest and slowly stick his arms out locking them, holding the barbell there for several seconds.

In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.

Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger.

Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.

Lee could cause a 300-lb (136.08 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a sidekick.

Lee held an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer.

*****************************************************************************************************************

In games that I GM, STR 18 is world class. There is a "400" club in pro football, for the

elite who can bench press that many pounds. Most real life martial artists can't deadlift 660 pounds. If you purchase more than 17 STR, you must include a plausible explanation for it in your Background or addendum. "I know Kung Fu," let alone "I know Comic Book Martial Arts," will not suffice. Now, something like "I am a large mesomorph and I work out four hours a day like Bruce Lee" works, among other things.

I don't require explanations for other primary stats in the 18 - 20 range, though I like to see them.

Personally if I want to build a Superhero Martial Artist I really prefer to create my own martial art as well. It adds a far more unique flavor to the character than being "just another karate/kung fu guy" although there are plenty of other ways to make a character stand out as well (I also really like the HSMA rules for building Martial Arts and enjoy playing with them.)

For STR I think 20 is best unless we are going with a Hybrid MA of some sort. One of the key features of the archetype is the Skill vs Raw STR aspect of it and if you start boosting a characters STR you start to loose that essential aspect of what makes a MA an MA and not just a Melee Fighter. You get your Damage from +DC's or +HA (depending on the style). Possibly even from weapons although you have to be careful of becoming a Weaponmaster instead.

Dex needs to be high. Just shy of speedster levels. 25-30 at least. Martial Artists are all about SKILL and so having a good Dex roll is really characteristic of them. SPD needs to be at least 6, maybe more. ANY DCV based defense archetype needs to have high SPD to be competitive due to the necessity of Aborting to survive. Even if you are going with higher defenses most of the "genre" norms for high Def MA would still be really fast (I am thinking cyborg Ninja here for example).

One question that we need immediate feedback on is what style of martial arts the character possesses. For Karate I have a particular practitioner in mind and for Kendo you have the full uniform and wooden sword. But what do other people want as the style ?

I think the style of martial art is mostly dependent on the character concept/origin. A Japanese guy named Hiro Takata being a master of kendo makes sense; his being a master of Chinese kung fu makes much less. I also prefer to either select a specific style such as Crane style kung fu or design my own from scratch. A character in our MidGuard campaign has a style called Cloud Dragon kung fu; which not only has martial maneuvers but also gives him some quasi-mystic powers like Clinging, Mental Awareness, and Teleport.

Personally I rather like STR 15 for MA's; it keeps them from burning too much END and also precludes them from doing absurd feats of strength like throwing motorcycles. Up damage with DC's and/or HA's.

As stated I need other people to say what they want as the martial art. It helps with envisioning what they can do.

If Kendo then we have a Kenjutsu practitioner in full armour and face mask.

If Karate then perhaps the most famous exponent of Karate, Elvis.

So any other ideas for the type of martial art.

• 3 months later...
From my Grand Master of Paek-Tu thread- some of you recall the martial art Paek-Tu, from Aaron Allston's Strike Force supplement.  Practitioners know the following factual material-

Paek-Tu Mountain (Paek-Tu San) is a disputed site between Korea and China.  Chinese call it Cho Haku Zan.  Koreans consider this mountain holy.

Paek-Tu is 2,744 meters tall, almost as tall as Japan's Mount Fuji.  It is topped by a caldera lake, "Heaven's Pond."  There is a Chinese rumor of a dinosaur in the lake, like "Nessie," the Loch Ness monster. 

Dulzuck is the fruit which is reaped mainly from Paek Tu Mt. region. The scientific name is VACCINIUM ULIGINOSUM LINNAEUS and this breed grows spontaneously in the hilly areas 800 meters above sea level.

People in the area surrounding Mt. Paek Tu produce the multiple foodstuffs with the blue berry Dulzuck.

It is consumed three times daily for health, preferably before meals.

Character Name: Kinsei Ikiryo ("Sword Saint Ghost") 
Alternate Identities: Ghost Dragon

20 STR  30 DEX  18 CON  12 BODY  13 INT  14 EGO  20 PRE

16 COM  8 PD  8 ED  5 SPD  8 REC  36 END  31 STUN

7" Running  2" Swimming  4" Leaping  Phases 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

134 Total Characteristics Points

"Gokai deshita (It was a misunderstanding)."

DISADVANTAGES

Cost Disadvantage

5 Distinctive Features: Detects As Blood (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable      Only      By Technology Or Major Effort)

5 Distinctive Features: Detects As Mutant (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable    Only      By Technology Or Major Effort)

5 Psychological Limitation: Seeking Revenge for his Slain Master (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Elite Attitude (Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Very Common, Strong)

15 Reputation: Martial Arts Grand Master, 14-

15 Social Limitation: Public ID (Occasionally, Severe)

75 Total Disadvantages Cost

SKILLS

Cost 

Name

Breakfall 13-

Concealment 12-

居合術 IaijutsuFast Draw 13-

Language: Cantonese (fluent conversation; literate)

Language: Japanese (idiomatic; literate)

Lipreading 12-

PS: Calligraphy 11-

PS: Painter 11-

Stealth 13-

Weapon Familiarity: Blades

Basic Everyman Skills

1) KS: The Blood 8-

2) KS: Go (Weiqi) 8-

3) PS: Musician (Custom Adder) 11-

Total Skills Cost

POWERS

Power

COST

N-Ray Perception: Can't See Through SFX: Magic Barriers, Force Fields, Force Shields or Force Walls (Sight Group)

Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years)

Blood Multipower, 37-point reserve

2u

1) Ghost Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Affects Desolidified vs. Evasive (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2); OAF Unbreakable (-1)

Notes: Adds to blade damage, all vs. ED, quasi-Personal Focus.

1u

2) Flat of the Ghost Blade: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Affects Desolidified Evasive (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Notes: Adds to blade damage, quasi-Personal Focus.

1u

3) Flat of the Ghost Blade Parry: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Conditional Power Awareness Based (-1/2)

Notes: Usually used with Block, quasi-Personal Focus.

4u

4) Kumogakure ("Vanished Into The Clouds"): Teleportation 8", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), END 1

3u

5) Tokko ("Thought Police"): Telepathy 7d6

Total Powers Cost

Equipment

2 Katanas (Japanese swords): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Durable (-1), STR Minimum 12 (-1/2)

Notes: 3d6-1 K with STR +Ghost Blade Power

2 Tantos (Daggers) : Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/4); OAF Durable (-1), STR Minimum 6 (-1/2)

12 Spectra / Nomex Armor: 6 DEF OIF Durable (-1/2)

Dog whistle, 4 wooden wedges

MARTIAL ARTS MANEUVERS

Cost 

Maneuver

Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

Lightning Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 Strike

Martial Flash: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 4d6

Weapon Element: Blades

Total Martial Arts Cost

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: Black

Eye Color: Brown

Height: 6' 3"

Weight: 220 lbs

Description

Ikiryo is tall, with wide shoulders, and a long narrow nose and jaw.

BACKGROUND

Ikiryo is a specific term for a person who releases their ghost-energy while still alive. It is a rare manifestation, seen mainly in The Tale of Genji. Sword Sword Saint Ikiryo is said to be a martial arts grand master, so far beyond the pale that he can manifest a sword made of chi or ghost energy, among other things. However, this is not accurate. In reality, Ikiryo has a lot to learn about martial arts, though he generally proficient.

He is a descendant of a paleolithic hunter who was born with psychic powers, a mutant named Azor.

Ikiryo came a long way to improve his martial arts, under the instruction of the Little Dragon.

POWERS/TACTICS

Ikiryo has the archtypical Blood powers; enhanced life-span, see-through vision, telepathy, teleportation, and emission of destructive energy. The latter requires a physical item to channel the energy, and actually makes it more durable, impossible to damage unless it is struck by an unbreakable object. However, this fades to very durable when he is not holding the item. When someone else uses his blades, there is no indication of Blood enhancement- they function normally rather than paranormally, vs. PD rather than ED. His "Fire and Stones Cut" can shear through steel. He uses the flat of his blades against soft targets. He is fond of Multiple Powers attacks with his two swords. 

If Ikiryo thinks you should not be killed, he likes to lead off a fight by poking you in the eyes. If he bloodies his blade, he loves to flick the blood into your eyes.

PERSONALITY/MOTIVATION

Ikiryo insists on being addressed as "Kinsei (Japanese: Sword Saint)." He believes that he and others like him exist on a higher level than the common man. He expects to be treated with better courtesy, and speaks in a patronizing way from time to time.

Someone will pay for killing his teacher.

OK, add / change / delete what you will, it's our build!  I could use advice about how best to paste a HD doc here...

I Can Read Your Movesa Kasujin Sword Technique to let an opponent recognize their loss and vulnerability without killing them, movement that renders the opponent helpless by stepping into an area where they are not able to use their weapon.  You either raise or lower their sword, keep overpowering their attacks, never facing them.  Right or left side, move your body in the direction that their sword cannot reach.  As if drawing a circle, move yourself and the opponent in a circle by either grabbing or pushing their body.  Jubei Yagyu derived a few different ways for entering that position, and ten variations of the position.

This is an example of the Optional Combat Maneuver; Cover, and suitable for our Kinsei Ikiryo ("Sword Saint Ghost").

For armor, how about a tough costume / track suit / whatev made of a blend - Nomex, a fireproof fabric used for racing car driver's suits, and Spectra, a balloon fabric several times lighter and stronger than Kevlar?

Physical Feats

Bruce Lee's phenomenal fitness allowed him to perform numerous exceptional physical feats:

Lee could land a punch in around five hundredths of a second (0.05 second) from 3 feet away, and from 5 feet away it was around eight hundredths of a second (0.08 second).

Lee could take in one arm a 75 lb barbell from a standing position with the barbell held flush against his chest and slowly stick his arms out locking them, holding the barbell there for several seconds.

In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.

Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger.

Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.

Lee could cause a 300-lb (136.08 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a sidekick.

Lee held an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer.

*****************************************************************************************************************

In games that I GM, STR 18 is world class. There is a "400" club in pro football, for the

elite who can bench press that many pounds. Most real life martial artists can't deadlift 660 pounds. If you purchase more than 17 STR, you must include a plausible explanation for it in your Background or addendum. "I know Kung Fu," let alone "I know Comic Book Martial Arts," will not suffice. Now, something like "I am a large mesomorph and I work out four hours a day like Bruce Lee" works, among other things.

I don't require explanations for other primary stats in the 18 - 20 range, though I like to see them.

I've read in a few sources that Bruce Lee's fight scenes were actually slowed down when filmed. He didn't look realistic when they showed him at full speed.

I've read in a few sources that Bruce Lee's fight scenes were actually slowed down when filmed. He didn't look realistic when they showed him at full speed.

My understanding is that that was particularly true when he was using nunchucks.  He had to swing them at about half speed or the camera could just registered blurs.